The British Housing Market?

old man

When i was looking to bye a couple of houses the one report came back and said there was a footpath running through the living room and going out the back door

obviously they couldn't use it but they wanted a £1000 to wright to London and get it closed it also turned out that the main water supply  ran under the house so if there was ever a problem then i was responsible for that section the money i spent on surveyors  was well worth it needless to say i didn't bye it

Edited by Rim Fire

37 minutes ago, Mungler said:

That’s how you get gazumped on completion day - the vendor just says ‘no thanks, a better offer has materialised’, and who doesn’t like more money?

That's why I like the Scottish system, completion of missives and everyone is tied in and if you want to pull out you have to pay up plus 4% above. That's how you stop gazumping or as good as you will get. 

We are handing over keys on Friday

16 hours ago, Mungler said:

Long story short, it’s all ‘subject to contract’ and there’s no redress.

Is the right answer?

13 hours ago, matone said:

Having recent and ongoing interest (selling) in the property market,I think it`s a for too lightly regulated zoo,needing some far reaching intervention from the powers that be!! It`s a market permeated by fools,dreamers and con artists ,most of whom need to have a reality check and stop watching silly TV programs and imagining themselves to be property tychoons and market players............

Yep!

26 minutes ago, henry d said:

That's why I like the Scottish system, completion of missives and everyone is tied in and if you want to pull out you have to pay up plus 4% above. That's how you stop gazumping or as good as you will get. 

Yes and the seller has to have the independent home report and valuation prepared prior to marketing!

I reckon the buyers that do up those shown on the HUTH tv show often lie about what they had spent on renovations too. Buying two at the moment for my daughter as her english is not too good to run the gamut of the agents / convevancers. I always get my builder to do a walk through and advise ref the purchases as he will see so much more than a surveyor in a suit will.

27 minutes ago, henry d said:

Hoping for similar here.....but?  Not likely as lots of money being made at the purchasers expense.

35 minutes ago, henry d said:

8 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

Yes and the seller has to have the independent home report and valuation prepared prior to marketing!

Seems the Scottish have a better system, but as @old man mentioned, I very much doubt it will change in England, far too much money being made.

18 hours ago, old man said:

the second to not having building works signed off after the removal of a load bearing wall and other major works.

You can get an indemnity insurance product for like £100 that covers stuff like this, and usually have the seller pay for it.

Done it myself recently.

No need to pull out if you otherwise like the house.

Obviously, not sure if the insurance is worth the paper it's written on, but it's extremely unlikely to be necessary, all being well.

1 minute ago, udderlyoffroad said:

You can get an indemnity insurance product for like £100 that covers stuff like this, and usually have the seller pay for it.

Done it myself recently.

No need to pull out if you otherwise like the house.

Obviously, not sure if the insurance is worth the paper it's written on, but it's extremely unlikely to be necessary, all being well.

Lawyers said no go to that one.

The deeds/title documents will show its construction and when it is modified ie bricked up it must have a PRC certificate https://www.prcconsultants.co.uk/prc-certificates/

or the morgage company will not even offer to take part in the sale and it will be unsellable, The PRC certificate /A copy should be lodged with the local council and should come up in any searches on the property.

I went through this over 20 years ago and ended up going to Charnwood borough council buildings dept to get a copy to give the morgage company.

I think the former owners saying they did not know has something to do with what i have typed in red.

18 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Yes I was thinking that! 
Report worth every Penny. 

Woman in my work just knocked though a wall to find out her house is not brick built but in fact a pre-fab with some walls bricked up at a later date to appear it is solid. 

The previous owners were aware because their father owned the home and did the work bricking it up! 

They didn’t declare any of it. The house now apparently worth about £80k less than suspected when they bought it. Going to cost a fortune to put it right. 

The sellers are claiming they’ knew nothing about it. 

Hello, did she not research the property from when first built, ? Oh the sellers knew without question, there were 1000s of Pre Fab houses built after the last war as a cheaper method than bricks to home many families who's homes were destroyed in the bombing not necessary in same location, most Pre Fabs had a life span of ? Years but many still in use today, 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

2 hours ago, henry d said:

Yes ,a far better system.I`ve not heard anyone say they`ve had a straightforward transaction in England,which a disgraceful state of affairs.....

8 hours ago, Mungler said:

During Covid most were doing exchange and completion on the same day (something we try to avoid at all cost because experience tells us it’s a recipe for disaster for all sorts of reasons). If you exchanged and aimed for completion in + 2 or 4 weeks, well, no one knew what would be happening in 2 weeks, what level of lockdown we would be in or whether you could get a removal company booked.

That’s how you get gazumped on completion day - the vendor just says ‘no thanks, a better offer has materialised’, and who doesn’t like more money?

Correct 👍

8 hours ago, henry d said:

Agree, it’s infuriating that a decent system is in operation and yet we stick to one we know is defective. I work in property and so see many issues. Conveyancing solicitors are generally very low paid and so problems come late as they often do not review information until all the searches are complete.

11 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

most Pre Fabs had a life span of ? Years but many still in use today, 

Corby, local to me, is full of them.  The plots they were put on were very generous in most cases because they were using greenbelt and not shy flashing the cash to local farmers, so they actually hold a heck of a lot of value still today due to the spaciousness of the property. 

corby-prefabs.jpg.61004931eddf2510110b35f5b637dc22.jpg

These are some of the better ones, I'll try to google some of the tatty examples but I don't frequent those parts of Corby all that often...

22 hours ago, henry d said:

Not all good and in some ways worse. I've bought a fair bit of property in Scotland and when the market is on the up. Sealed bids can push prices to silly money. Swings and roundabouts and all that. 

Another thing with the Scottish system, although I am just talking from personal experience, you don't seem to get vendors that lie. 

Many moons ago a friend was buying a house in Cornwall and found out after they moved in that the lounge carpet had a hole in the centre and they had filled it with a different offcut and nailed the rug down over it, also when they asked about the windows the vendor opened one, the only one in the house that did! Recently we put in an offer on a house that was accepted and we were told the vendor would take it off the market, a week later we got a phone call asking if we could make a better offer as she had further viewings! We said no and had a right ding dong with the estate agent, eventually the vendor said first to complete no matter the offer would get accepted, which put us in a good position, as they had already bought a place in the SE of England. Two weeks later and we have a buyer and two other offers we get told she is withdrawing the property as she hasn't got a new house!!!

Her loss, we have a better one now 😃