Flat blade trigger

Newbie to this

Hi,

I'm thinking of replacing the trigger on my 22lr semi-auto. The trigger I am looking at comes in either a curved or flat blade trigger.

Having never shot anything with a flat blade trigger, are there any benefits to one or is it just a gimmick?

Thanks for any information/opinions on these in advanced.

Edited by Newbie to this

On a rifle I would say a trigger is a trigger, just a means of having the sear break cleanly.  The action compared to firing a shotgun is so light I would think it would have little rlevance to your ability to shoot the rifle once you put a few rounds through it and got used to the position and feel.  What shape is your present trigger, replace with the same and no problems.

Many moons ago I did shoot a rifle with a sort of set trigger which had a flat blade which when pulled back cocked to a set trigger which on continuing released the sear.   I might be wrong but think it was a Bruno.

Edited by Walker570

Thanks

The trigger is still getting replaced, the factory trigger has an awful pull, I'm looking at replacing it with a sports trigger with a 3.5lb pull, it has good reviews, but it comes in flat or curved.

Looks like I will stick with curved and not risk wasting money on a flat and not liking it. 

Thanks for your advice @Walker570

I always used Timneys where I could get one to fit my rifles. In my view they are unbeatable.  My service rifle had a Parker Hale supplied trigger adjusted to my preference which was 1 1/2 lb.l  The rifle was still shooting sub 1 moa on my retirement after 14 years.  We tend to forget that Parker Hale made some of the best barrels back then and a great pity they had to dissolve the company. 

4 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I always used Timneys where I could get one to fit my rifles. In my view they are unbeatable.  My service rifle had a Parker Hale supplied trigger adjusted to my preference which was 1 1/2 lb.l  The rifle was still shooting sub 1 moa on my retirement after 14 years.  We tend to forget that Parker Hale made some of the best barrels back then and a great pity they had to dissolve the company. 

I'll have a look at the Timneys:good:

I would say if the first stage is short with a nice clean break of the second stage .flat could work .but if your first stage is long  the you may find that the straight blade is angled backwards somewhat at the end of the first stage and give  your finger a feeling of slipping down upon pulling it back .

I'd stick to curved .(its this way to allow for different reaches of the hand ,trigger attack,and length of the trigger pull ) 

Edited by Ultrastu

19 minutes ago, Rob85 said:

What is the rifle in question? I dropped the trigger pull on my remington with a bit of careful polishing but their is drop in triggers from volquartsen that have a good rep.

M&P 15-22, the factory trigger is beyond help I think, I've replaced the springs to lower the pull weight, but it still feels awful.

I think a drop in is the answer and I have one in mind :good:

7 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

M&P 15-22, the factory trigger is beyond help I think, I've replaced the springs to lower the pull weight, but it still feels awful.

I may not be a gunsmith but it's unlikely to be the springs that cause the heavy trigger pull, especially if it's a 2 stage trigger, look at the hammer and sear, make sure they are spotlessly clean...a tall order for a blowback semi auto...and see how shiny they are. A gunsmith could probably have it 100 times better with little more than 800grit wet n dry or a very fine polishing stone and 10 minutes of elbowgrease.

14 hours ago, Newbie to this said:

Thanks

The trigger is still getting replaced, the factory trigger has an awful pull, I'm looking at replacing it with a sports trigger with a 3.5lb pull, it has good reviews, but it comes in flat or curved.

Looks like I will stick with curved and not risk wasting money on a flat and not liking it. 

Thanks for your advice @Walker570

Hello, you do not say what rifle, why do you not just replace the trigger spring, must say never heard of a flat trigger ?

55 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, you do not say what rifle, why do you not just replace the trigger spring, must say never heard of a flat trigger ?

10 hours ago, Newbie to this said:

17 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Luckily I still have one. Presumably the bean counters did for the company.

IMO, set triggers are only safe for paper punching on ranges? 

Edited by old man

1 hour ago, Benthejockey said:

There is a BRNO (i think) with a set trigger which is a flat blade trigger. I looked at one (pictures) in 270 a while back. They look a bit weird (ugly). But especially as a set trigger I couldn't see it being a problem.

I have such a BRNO, a model Fox in .22Hornet. Two triggers, the front one flat, the rear one curved. The front one is the trigger, squeezing the rear one activates the front set. Superb as a set trigger but like dragging over rock if used unset.