20yrs today & shooting

blackbird

I’m almost 40 and have shot since I was 11 but fished all my life with my dad. 
my boy is 11 but he’s just not interested in either . He loves to cycle with me tho.

my 5 year old daughter has fed the ponds with me since she could walk and loves it . We go and fill the squirrel feeders together with a picnic . She loves using the .410 since she was 4 years old and loves it all. 
ive lost a lot of perms due to HS2 and corporate farms buying everywhere up  plus having 4 kids and 2 split marriages /long term relationships I just haven’t got the time . 
I used to race endurance and mx and the average guy was 40+ after the kids had grown up .

I can’t afford to shoot clays as I genuinely am skint 90% of the time paying for my house and ex’s so I hunt. 

I’m 34 with three boys, 6, 4 and 2. My eldest came on a mooch with me this season and was excited to see me shoot a long pigeon but then got cold and wet in the bitter weather and so sat in the car whilst I shot a pheasant and few squirrels in the nearby wood to stretch the dogs’ legs. However in the summer they love coming on the shoot to help feed, build and explore. My friend’s grandson shoots with us and it’s been great, he’s 16 now and a good shot but it was so exciting for us with him getting each of his first pheasant/rabbit etc. The first double figures on pigeons, first tonne etc.  Makes it more enjoyable for me to see it through him, even though he was a pain in the **** as a dopey 11 year old losing everything and needing constant instruction just to avoid falling over his own legs. 

On 13/02/2021 at 17:56, chilly1981 said:

No as plenty people who shoot bring there kids into it 

also look at how popular clay days are for workplace days or stag do’s 

but you find it’s more middle aged or 30 and above  as they have more disposable income  to afford it ( in general)  as a round of clays will come second to a night in pub with chance of getting your leg over for younger folk  ( can’t say I blame them lol) 

Not only is it a relatively expensive hobby, lots of businesses that do things like those company clay shoot days charge rip off money, so people looking to get into the sport see it as significanltly more expensive than it actually is. 

Clay ground that do those stag do clay shoots, where each person gets charged about £40 to shoot 10 clays are a joke and should be ashamed of themselves. 

I myself have introduced loads of friends into clay shooting (not everyone wants to shoot animals), and whilst not all of them have gone on to apply for a SGC, many have a new found regard for shooting rather than only getting anti propaganda about how bad it is. 

I well remember walking along the seafront in Lowertoft on the night of the Millennium just over 20 years ago , it was very mild and people were staying on the beach to watch the sun come up on the Ist of Jan on the most Eastern point in the UK , no doubt it crossed my mind to think what would things be like concerning shooting in twenty years time , well the past twenty years have come and gone and here I am still shooting wildfowl , Pigeons and involved in game shooting .

Yes we have seen threats with the G L and we only have a few more years of shooting lead shot , another problem we might have to contend with is the pandemic , what long term affect it will make is any ones guess.

I dare say we will see more changes over the next 20 years than we have over the last , like they say , Only time will tell .