What went wrong with the plan!

dead eye alan

Arrived at field 9.45 put up about 200 from bottom as thy left thy picked up more from the top end and almost darkened the sky, not seen this many for months. The ground was frozen so could drive to within 30 yards of chosen spot, unloaded and started to set up, first problem was the ground was so hard that the magnet was almost impossible to get in I had to make 4 holes with the center spike it was really hard to get in. So only 1 magnet and a flapper 12 shells and hide by a low hedge. Birds were swirling in strait away in flocks of 8 to 20 it was madness, second problem the hush power is cumbersome and heavy and not used much first shots were pathetic and produced more feathers than birds, kept forgetting where the safety catch was and to rack it after a shot. The birds continued to decoy well for about an hour then calmed down to a trickle, I had not even had time to feel the cold and was shooting without gloves as with gloves on I was firing early due to the small Triger Garde not allowing for proper movement of finger. So packed up at 12.30 by then the birds had stopped altogether and I was now feeling the cold, picked up 13 shots fired 37. On leaving the field I drove round to the furthest point of the small field to the spot I shot last week and put up hundreds of birds. So the plan did not work out as I'd hoped, anyone got Baldrick's phone number I may need a more cunning plan for next time.

Hi dead eye, we all get those days , nothing seems to go right but it can only get better, If I'm out on my own I like to set as many flags out as I can to try to keep them from settling, if they keep moving there's at least a chance they will come my way. My main rape area is around 5 fields with a huge surface area , all in one block, so its pot luck if they come to my end of the land, they obviously have their favourite areas which are easy to find from the damage, but once disturbed they often clear off for the rest of the day. 

I had a hushpower moderator fitted to my 12 gauge Beretta, I use it all the time as I shoot near houses and commercials areas a lot. it is quite heavy on the end of the barrel, but I find it helps stabilise the gun especially as I swing through the bird, with the 1/2 choke its fitted to it gives me a good hit out at range , just a bit frustrating when they come in at 20 yards or less. but I do like it a lot and it keeps the noise down really well.

29 minutes ago, dead eye alan said:

Arrived at field 9.45 put up about 200 from bottom as thy left thy picked up more from the top end and almost darkened the sky, not seen this many for months. The ground was frozen so could drive to within 30 yards of chosen spot, unloaded and started to set up, first problem was the ground was so hard that the magnet was almost impossible to get in I had to make 4 holes with the center spike it was really hard to get in. So only 1 magnet and a flapper 12 shells and hide by a low hedge. Birds were swirling in strait away in flocks of 8 to 20 it was madness, second problem the hush power is cumbersome and heavy and not used much first shots were pathetic and produced more feathers than birds, kept forgetting where the safety catch was and to rack it after a shot. The birds continued to decoy well for about an hour then calmed down to a trickle, I had not even had time to feel the cold and was shooting without gloves as with gloves on I was firing early due to the small Triger Garde not allowing for proper movement of finger. So packed up at 12.30 by then the birds had stopped altogether and I was now feeling the cold, picked up 13 shots fired 37. On leaving the field I drove round to the furthest point of the small field to the spot I shot last week and put up hundreds of birds. So the plan did not work out as I'd hoped, anyone got Baldrick's phone number I may need a more cunning plan for next time.

Really hard when it's cold well done for trying. Banger strings work well. Or someone else daft enough to go with you and shiver. 

Better then my efforts this weekend . Been watching 4 fields of osr all week though I had them figured out ! Set up birds moving but just wouldn't decoy . Tried with flapper and bouncer and about 40 decoys(don't normally use that many but thought a big pattern might pull one or 2 in )   Put the pattern tight,  made it loose they were having none of it wouldn't even look . Managed 2 that flew over . So much for my cunning plan 🤦‍♂️🤣

4 minutes ago, Ferret664 said:

Better then my efforts this weekend . Been watching 4 fields of osr all week though I had them figured out ! Set up birds moving but just wouldn't decoy . Tried with flapper and bouncer and about 40 decoys(don't normally use that many but thought a big pattern might pull one or 2 in )   Put the pattern tight,  made it loose they were having none of it wouldn't even look . Managed 2 that flew over . So much for my cunning plan 🤦‍♂️🤣

Try less decoys next time, about six or seven, three foot apart.

2 minutes ago, old'un said:

Try less decoys next time, about six or seven, three foot apart.

Thats what I normally do . Just such massive flocks here thought I would try something different . I've had some cracking days on osr in the past (once had in the 70s 5 weeks in a row few years back!)  but this year they don't want to know !! 

14 minutes ago, JDog said:

It can be done. In my absence today through feeling ropey Jacko shot 26 on the land I handed to him. 

funny you should say that, some years back a mate and I were covering two fields of rape about two miles apart, both fields were getting some serous attention from about 1000-1500 birds on each field, the birds coming to my field would just not decoy, I tried everything I knew to pull them, at the end of the day I had shot 17, I drove down to the field my mate was on and he was packing his gear into his car, he had shot 70, I asked him how they were decoying and said like stones, I found it odd how two fields could be so close yet so different, mind you it could be down to me not being very good at pigeon shooting.

1 hour ago, JDog said:

It can be done. In my absence today through feeling ropey Jacko shot 26 on the land I handed to him. 

Your body is most likely feeling the effects of being out in those strong Eastly winds , your head is telling you it's alright but your body can't cope with a long length of exposure to below freezing temp's , well I know my can't , yesterday it was again freezing and I was alright being well wrapped up and on the move , better to give it a miss for a couple of days and then have a go later in the week when we should reach the dizzy heights of double figures , hope you are feeling better today .

45 minutes ago, JDog said:

Marsh My muscles and feeling lethargic the next day - an, that is exactly it. Out in very cold weather on Saturday and frozen to the bone. I had a day in front of the fire today. Covid jab tomorrow. 

JDog be prepared you may feel you have the Flu coming on Tuesday after your jab.  Me and everyone I know who has had the jab reports achy muscles and feeling lethargic for the day.  Thursday - raring to go !!!  Be happy  :)

Keep safe !

28 minutes ago, stockybasher said:

JDog be prepared you may feel you have the Flu coming on Tuesday after your jab.  Me and everyone I know who has had the jab reports achy muscles and feeling lethargic for the day.  Thursday - raring to go !!!  Be happy  :)

Keep safe !

Thank you.

I have written off Tuesday and Wednesday and plan to be out shooting on Thursday. I have been extra nice to my wife today, Valentines Day, so she will look after me if the side effects you describe kick in.

On 14/02/2021 at 12:05, dead eye alan said:

So packed up at 12.30 by then the birds had stopped altogether and I was now feeling the cold, picked up 13 shots fired 37. On leaving the field I drove round to the furthest point of the small field to the spot I shot last week and put up hundreds of birds. So the plan did not work out as I'd hoped, anyone got Baldrick's phone number I may need a more cunning plan for next time.

Strange how the cold doesn't kick in when your enjoying yourself. 

I'm sure it would have been different if it hadn't been so cold, why were you shooting with the hush power though?

16 hours ago, Mice! said:

Strange how the cold doesn't kick in when your enjoying yourself. 

I'm sure it would have been different if it hadn't been so cold, why were you shooting with the hush power though?

I was shooting close to a park the other side of the river, and the old millhouse was just 130 yards behind me and a grumpy London lawyer lives there and complains to the farmer. Of cause the farmer just tells him its safe and legal.

11 hours ago, dead eye alan said:

I was shooting close to a park the other side of the river, and the old millhouse was just 130 yards behind me and a grumpy London lawyer lives there and complains to the farmer. Of cause the farmer just tells him its safe and legal.

Cheers for the reply,  I thought there must have been a good reason.