BSA R-10 Thumbhole Filling

wymberley

I have a dive bottle and 2 local-ish refill places - probably about a 2 hour round trip for either, but am toying with the idea of a pump. The rifle is a BSA R-10 Thumbhole so the bottle is the 280cc version. I am not fit;  wrong arthritis treatment did not help my lungs any and my aortic valve needs looking at. I can, however, decoy pigeons provided I don't have to carry the kit anywhere so not totally decrepit. With the arthritis the limiting factor is usually the pain, but I figure that having the pump at the right height I should be OK in that respect. I'm looking at the FX 4 Stage unit. I don't really want a 15 minute workout, so any gut feelings as to whether or not this would be on are welcome

12 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Sounds as if you're better with the bottle rather than a pump, I would just factor in getting your bottle filled when going near the dive shop?

But @bruno22rf did mention that a pump was available from Amazon at £15, at that price you could take a chance and see how you get on?

Yep, just wondering if it would be viable as I have no reason to go any where near the two locations other than to have the bottle charged. Saw the £15 version but figured a well made unit - especially with the 4th stage mechanical advantage option - would be easier for me.

You might be ok keeping the bottle topped up with a pump? I've not used one, I wouldn't want to pump it from low though on a bottle gun if I wasn't in the greatest of health. Someone posted how many pumps it took to fill a rapid and it was a lot.

Hopefully restrictions ease then plan for a meal out somewhere while getting your bottle filled, unless you shoot a lot it probably won't be that often you will need a 4 or 5ltr bottle filling and should still be manageable enough to get it in and out of the car.

I pump up my 75 cc and 105 cc tubes easy enough with my fx turbo pump .

But when it comes to the 300 cc wildcat its a bit of a mission .. the 280 cc of the r10th  Will BE  hard work if going from  100 bar to 230  say .

Maybe consider a bsa ultra .and a pump .they don't take too much effort as the air capacity is small .

3 hours ago, Rimfireboy said:

I bought this one for £17 but the one way valve doesn’t work properly. They gave me a refund and told me to keep it, so I’m going to strip it down and see what, if anything, I can do with it. It looks exactly the same pump as the £40-50 pumps though?

EC2DB606-DA64-43C4-B170-B32784E2EEAB.jpeg

Hello, it's most likely a damaged seal ,was there a set in box ?

2 hours ago, wymberley said:

Funny you should say that. 

Hello, if that's the case I am sure they would appreciate some tea and biscuits 👍 , as happen I have one near me so I might ask to 🤔👍

On 16/02/2021 at 09:57, Rimfireboy said:

I bought this one for £17 but the one way valve doesn’t work properly. They gave me a refund and told me to keep it, so I’m going to strip it down and see what, if anything, I can do with it. It looks exactly the same pump as the £40-50 pumps though?

EC2DB606-DA64-43C4-B170-B32784E2EEAB.jpeg

I’ve got one that looks exactly the same except I paid £30’ish. And I can’t get mine to work either. The instructions are in Chinese English so quite funny but hard to work out what I’ve done wrong. 

Edited by AVB
Spelling

Mine I dethreaded when I put the hose in, well I think it was me, but a bit of plumbers tape sorted that. 

Ive since gone on to change the hose as I didn't like that one and put a thinner one on  there and it's still going strong after years. Never even oiled it, and only remembered about it as I found the instructions and the silicone oil and washers it came with the other day. 

Can somebody give me some advice as a PCP newbie. I bought a second hand FX Cyclone. It arrived relatively empty with the gauge showing 50 bar. I have bought a pump which seems to be pumping out air but I don't seem to making any progress on filling the gun. I pump and pump (probably 200+ pumps so far) but the gauge doesn't move and I don't seem to feel any pressure building up in the pump. The filling probe doesn't seem a very tight fit. I expect it to be a tight fit in order to create an airtight seal but it slides in and out quite easily (held between finger and thumb). Is pump or gun at fault or do I just persevere?  

OK. I presume u have closed the valve off on the pump ? Usually a brass tumble wheel down near the hose 

Tighten it up .this is released when u reach pressure in the gun and u want to bleed the line before disconnecting .

Failing that either the seals in the fill probe are damaged or the wrong size  .

Or itcould be the pump has bust oring 

1 hour ago, AVB said:

Can somebody give me some advice as a PCP newbie. I bought a second hand FX Cyclone. It arrived relatively empty with the gauge showing 50 bar. I have bought a pump which seems to be pumping out air but I don't seem to making any progress on filling the gun. I pump and pump (probably 200+ pumps so far) but the gauge doesn't move and I don't seem to feel any pressure building up in the pump. The filling probe doesn't seem a very tight fit. I expect it to be a tight fit in order to create an airtight seal but it slides in and out quite easily (held between finger and thumb). Is pump or gun at fault or do I just persevere?  

Ive a cyclone, and can say it's quite a effort to fill from near empty as it's quite a large cylinder. You should of seen a significant amount in by now. The probe on mine is just push in tight, not so tight it scrubs the orings on the probe, but not knocking about like a **** in a bucket. 

Is there a leaking sound, or air escaping? Also as stu said make sure the brass knob on the back of the pump is shut tight, and failing all that, make up some seriously soapy water with washing up liquid, take the gun out the stock and spray/pore the liquid over the join from the cylinder to block, and over the fill port. If its leaking it will show little bubbles from where it is. Don't try and fill the gun whilst doing this, you might chance pushing moisture into the gun. 

Youve got a leak somewhere, just got to find out where. 

Ps ******* good gun, what did you go for 177/22 and is it a btas? 

Also if its the btas version, the gauge on the gun IS NOT the pressure in the gun. Its what the regulator is set too. You have to rely on the pump gauge for the pressure 

Edited by strimmer_13