Customer service

lampro

Supplying and fitting karndean for a friend of a friend I have supplied the materials at cost with my discount so not making a penny on materials, a couple sheets of ply left over and he wants them.sent back to supplier so he can get his money back at my cost never ever again am I doing favours any more saved him over £2000 on material and priced the fitting at 70% of my normal rate ****** me right off

9 minutes ago, Scully said:

As tempting as it is, and as obliged as you may feel to do it, there is no such thing as ‘mates rates’, even less so ‘mate of a mates rates’. 
A mate who asks because he expects it done cheaper isn’t really a mate, to be honest. 

Always makes me chuckle when a supposed Mate asks for a favour for his Mate in order to get up in the second Mates estimation!

I have in the past asked what's in it for me?

3 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Always makes me chuckle when a supposed Mate asks for a favour for his Mate in order to get up in the second Mates estimation!

I have in the past asked what's in it for me?

I don’t mind doing favours, which are free, cos as mates it always comes back, but any proper job HAS to be properly priced. 
The jobs I most often turn down are those where the potential client ( not usually a mate ) are those which when showing you want they want doing, say, ‘It’ll only take a day or two’, or ‘it just needs a lick of paint’. 😀

56 minutes ago, lampro said:

Supplying and fitting karndean for a friend of a friend I have supplied the materials at cost with my discount so not making a penny on materials, a couple sheets of ply left over and he wants them.sent back to supplier so he can get his money back at my cost never ever again am I doing favours any more saved him over £2000 on material and priced the fitting at 70% of my normal rate ****** me right off

You'll have forgotten about it by the time the next one comes along 😅.

Lin and myself spend hours and hours doing things for free. Every now and again well say " that's it now , no more "  and we usually stick to it for about a day 😅.

1 hour ago, Scully said:

As tempting as it is, and as obliged as you may feel to do it, there is no such thing as ‘mates rates’, even less so ‘mate of a mates rates’. 
A mate who asks because he expects it done cheaper isn’t really a mate, to be honest. 

Aye I tend to agree. Mates would want your business to do well and help provide for your family and accept that you have a business to run. If every mate got a rate, tradespeople Would spend half their time working for friends and losing money in the process.

6 minutes ago, lampro said:

No.doubt you will be right come next week😀

Yep , you're either the type of person that'll help others,  or you aren't.  You can't change your nature , even if you do get annoyed when some people take the xxxx out of your good nature.

Some times we moan about doing work for free ,  but it always works out in the grand scheme of things . Just before Christmas my shower packed up when I was using it before work . It only took one text message,  and by the time I was back from work , my mate had fitted a new shower at no charge . It's just swings and roundabouts really 👍.

1 minute ago, mel b3 said:

Yep , you're either the type of person that'll help others,  or you aren't.  You can't change your nature , even if you do get annoyed when some people take the xxxx out of your good nature.

Some times we moan about doing work for free ,  but it always works out in the grand scheme of things . Just before Christmas my shower packed up when I was using it before work . It only took one text message,  and by the time I was back from work , my mate had fitted a new shower at no charge . It's just swings and roundabouts really 👍.

Yes that is how it is meant to work and a Mate helps a Mate, what the OP was on about was the interloper Mate of a Mate!

When I was a  locksmith virtually everyone on my small street wanted a lock doing. When I said well I'll do the lock at cost then half price for the labour they nearly all said they thought I'd do it free as a favour. 

A couple of times I let people in to their homes when they had lost keys etc and seemed a bit shocked when I gave them a bill. Usually with a oh I thought we were mates, didn't like it when I said no your just neighbours. 

Money does tend to sort out who are real mates.

It also extends to family. A member of my family siphoned off - it was actually theft - ten of thousands of pounds from my late mother's bank and the sale of her property. My younger sister didn't want the Police involved and I reluctantly let it go at getting the other sister cut out of the will. I was tempted to have her arrested when exiting her local church.

6 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Yes that is how it is meant to work and a Mate helps a Mate, what the OP was on about was the interloper Mate of a Mate!

I'm just adding things up in my head . When I bought this house , it had been derelict for years , and  all of my mates helped me out .

Windows cost , materials   + a grands worth of beer .

Rewire cost , materials + a grands worth of beer.

House rendering,  and most of the inside plastering cost , materials + a grands worth of beer .

Central heating cost , materials + a grands worth of beer . 

New fencing cost , materials + a grands worth of beer .

New bathroom cost,  materials + a grands worth of beer .

All things considered,  I'd have been cheaper to employ strangers , I'd have saved lots of money , and my liver 😅.

Just had a neighbours relative lay in a bit of electricty to a couple of sheds and asked how much ...sucking of lips and he says £130, fine I says and go and fetch an envelope and put the money inside and sealed it.   An hour later he phones to thank me profusely as he had found £150 in the envelope. He deserved every penny, wasn't greedy in the first place and more than that I can always call on him should I need electrical help in the future.     I can also show you the stab marks. Had a few so called friends who I have introduced to deer stalking and then had a call from the landowner saying had I ok'd the guy to ring him and ask for the stalking.  Been there got the T Shirt as the saying goes.  

Just wanted to help someone out thats me heart on my sleeve like to please may be but have noticed just lately people customers are wanting more and more for the £ maybe there skint and still trying to live like they did before lock down I dont know, contemplating trading my van in for a tipper and go out collecting scrap metal.less stress no customers just driving around and minding my own buisness not taking **** of people that know nothing about floor laying other than watching google 35 years a fitter now own company and it's getting worse and the money isn't any better than 20 years ago

37 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Just had a neighbours relative lay in a bit of electricty to a couple of sheds and asked how much ...sucking of lips and he says £130, fine I says and go and fetch an envelope and put the money inside and sealed it.   An hour later he phones to thank me profusely as he had found £150 in the envelope. He deserved every penny, wasn't greedy in the first place and more than that I can always call on him should I need electrical help in the future.     I can also show you the stab marks. Had a few so called friends who I have introduced to deer stalking and then had a call from the landowner saying had I ok'd the guy to ring him and ask for the stalking.  Been there got the T Shirt as the saying goes.  

Most of us that try to help others into shooting have got a couple of those stab marks nev 😕.

One guy that I took out(a former pw member). Told me how his best mate had fallen out with him , because he'd gone to the farmer after his mate had taken him for a day shooting,  and asked the farmer if he could shoot the farm . I spent some time explaining that it wasn't really the done thing , and that in shooting circles , it really is quite bad manners . Then within a couple of hours of getting back to my house , and him setting off home in his car , the farmer from the farm that I'd taken him to , called me to tell me that he'd gone straight back and asked for permission of his own , and told the farmer that I'd said that it was ok  . The farmer knows me very well indeed , and guessed what was happening,  and told him to get lost and don't come back.

He was a complete fool , because I get offered permissions from time to time , and I pass them on as I've already got more than I can cover.

14 hours ago, Gordon R said:

Money does tend to sort out who are real mates.

It also extends to family. A member of my family siphoned off - it was actually theft - ten of thousands of pounds from my late mother's bank and the sale of her property. My younger sister didn't want the Police involved and I reluctantly let it go at getting the other sister cut out of the will. I was tempted to have her arrested when exiting her local church.

My wife is a fool for her family/friends. Volunteers my services (and hers as well) for free, but if they ever do anything in return it is usually way above market rates plus she will give more on top. 

14 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I will always tip when someone is playing fair - however,  I hate the ones that come and look at the house and add on a zero, times it by 2 etc. etc. I had quotes from people to finish off an En-Suite as I was too busy to get it done with work and travelling and the wife was "reminding" me of it regularly :D  - one guy quoted £900 so I phoned him up and asked how he got to that price (only consumables required - sealant etc) and he said it was for two of them - I responded that only one person can fit in there at any time!! I had the work done by another shooter I know and it took him less than a day to do the job and done other stuff as well in another en-suite at a fair rate which I topped up. He has done the odd favor as well when passing and has refused to take money - so I give him things and he knows if he ever needs anything from me to just shout. 

Didn’t know I was supposed to be charging mates for helping out 🤷‍♂️

Always offered my help and support in times of need for free. 

When I need something back I normally don’t have an issue.

Some people however do tend to try it on, they only ruin it for themselves because I simply won’t go help again. 

Myself and another mate went to help a farmer/small holder friend of ours baling and loading hay about 2 summers ago. 

We worked from 9am - 9pm in scorching heat, it was boiling and he was too tight to get and get us food kept saying we would crack on and work through, by the end of the day we were starving and told him he better get some bloody food in!

He suggested he stopped at the Chinese and buy us a £1 bag of those really rubbish chips they do at Chinese restaurants!! 

At first I thought he was joking but he wasn’t 😮 ... unsurprisingly he has complained that I haven’t gone to help him with the hay for the last few years ... and I won’t be going ever again! 

Edited by Lloyd90

17 hours ago, lampro said:

Did you not say to the customer that you have already given them significant discounts and the suggestion of the above is quite honestly taking the P? 

Sometimes people don’t realise they’re as bad as they are until a stern word 🤷‍♂️