Baltic but Decent Weekend

kippylawkid

The strong easterly winds continued to batter Northumberland, leaving a good covering of snow. I was out first thing on Saturday morning to flight pigeons in a wood that has consistently produced birds for me since December.  Unfortunately, the farmer had placed a banger right next to the wood and the pigeons were extremely wary. I still managed to bag 13 in 2 hours. I then moved to another farm that I had been asked to shoot to scare them off the rape. I knew this would not be a fruitful trip, but I always score there in spring on drillings so I made the effort and set up on a bare, east facing hillside no decoys; just flighting.  The rape showing above the snow had been picked clean and I stuck it out for 90 mins until the cold became too much and I picked 4 very hard earned birds. On Sunday I shot the same field where I had some success last week. Thankfully, the fir wood again offered good shelter and I had an excellent flight. I started with 10 dead birds on cradles, flapper and 3 bouncers. The bouncers seemed to make some difference as pigeons definitely reacted more to them, despite the snow. I picked 44 just in time before the heavens opened with horizontal sleet. Roll on Springtime!