Self binding gravel

mgsontour

you will proberly need a crushed limestone with plenty of fines in it..........might be a 6F2 grading ...or a bit smaller...go to the builders merchants and look at a MOT Type one grading....make sure it has plenty of fines in it

Edited by ditchman

Just now, ditchman said:

you will proberly need a crushed limestone with plenty of fines in it..........might be a 6F2 grading ...or a bit smaller...

Dunno what 6F2 grading is but got a sample from Breedon and it looks pretty fine to me, evidently you put it ontop of MOT1 and then use one of those whackers to flatten it

Wayfarer - Special Aggregates (breedon-special-aggregates.co.uk)

17 minutes ago, mgsontour said:

Dunno what 6F2 grading is but got a sample from Breedon and it looks pretty fine to me, evidently you put it ontop of MOT1 and then use one of those whackers to flatten it

Wayfarer - Special Aggregates (breedon-special-aggregates.co.uk)

yup that looks ok............its 6mm down....and if you put that on type one and put it down with a wacker plate should be fine

6F2 is a type of crusher run or recycled crushed concrete or graded scalpings.....can vary in make up and quality....crushed concrete is the best as when it gets wet it will bind together nice and harden ...from the residual effect of the cement dust in it.....proberly more suitable for lanes and roads...

11 minutes ago, ditchman said:

yup that looks ok............its 6mm down....and if you put that on type one and put it down with a wacker plate should be fine

6F2 is a type of crusher run or recycled crushed concrete or graded scalpings.....can vary in make up and quality....crushed concrete is the best as when it gets wet it will bind together nice and harden ...from the residual effect of the cement dust in it.....proberly more suitable for lanes and roads...

Thanks a lot for the advice, I saw the self binding gravel used at a stately home ( not that mine is stately ) and thought it looked pretty good

Is what your talking about the resin bonded stuff ?    I looked a couple of vids on youtube, laying the stuff.   As Ditchie says, the crushed concrete will self harden to a degree and is used as a base layer in sheds and such. One of my farms has just built a huge extension for the cows and the base was made up of crushed brick and concrete and rolled hard.  I have just had a couple of trailer loads of the stuff for the ccess road down into my orchard and as yet have only driven over it with the tractor and the Land Rover but already it has gone pretty solid. 

If your looking for something for a road I would recommend type1 road plannings wackered  down will last a long time get a double drum sit on roller and vibrate for as long as you can . If not as some1 else said crushed concrete is very good for hard standing I use that as sub base for driveways alot better than scalpings they just turn to mush. Thats my living this kind of thing so feel free if you want any tips. If you put tar over road plannings is goes like tarmac we did a farm road 3 years ago and believe it or not it's still perfect to this day.

10 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Is what your talking about the resin bonded stuff ?    I looked a couple of vids on youtube, laying the stuff.   As Ditchie says, the crushed concrete will self harden to a degree and is used as a base layer in sheds and such. One of my farms has just built a huge extension for the cows and the base was made up of crushed brick and concrete and rolled hard.  I have just had a couple of trailer loads of the stuff for the ccess road down into my orchard and as yet have only driven over it with the tractor and the Land Rover but already it has gone pretty solid. 

Resin is a fortune as you probably know 

2 minutes ago, Mikeyalbie said:

If your looking for something for a road I would recommend type1 road plannings wackered  down will last a long time get a double drum sit on roller and vibrate for as long as you can . If not as some1 else said crushed concrete is very good for hard standing I use that as sub base for driveways alot better than scalpings they just turn to mush. Thats my living this kind of thing so feel free if you want any tips. If you put tar over road plannings is goes like tarmac we did a farm road 3 years ago and believe it or not it's still perfect to this day.

Resin is a fortune as you probably know 

Just reading the comments and if you want it for a driveway dig it out put a membrane down  put 4inches of big crushed concrete then 2 inches of fine crushed concrete over the top wacker that to death then put the gravel down level it to the best you can and wack that it will be  a good job to last. We call that romsey red around my way it leaves a nice finish but it will go to pot holes

1 minute ago, welshwarrior said:

If you mean like Hoggin (called Ramsey Red around here) I used it to repair our steep sloped driveway goes down easy with a roller or wacker plate.  

Were from the same are lol 

• 1 month later...

Just an update, the gravel I had my eye on is 'only' £165+vat a buk bag but the best bit is they can't deliver to me so I have to have it delivered to Jewsons and then they re-deliver to me which put's the job out the window for me.

Above Hoggin / Ramsey red / 6F2 are all mentioned so which is my next best alternative for a driveway and garden path that looks decent, low maintenance and doesn't dip into my cartridge budget for the year?

Thanks again lads