Handing weapons to local police

Jamesrb90

The mainland UK must have some of the most rubbish FEOs and police forces about. After reading some of this stuff about how people are treated I am genuinely appalled.

Regarding the application, in northern ireland you have to declare if you have been treated for a mental Illness in the last 5 years...if you have they will probably email or send a letter to your GP for details, happened to me, I had a 10 minute GP appointment where she sat and wrote her response WITH ME PRESENT after having a chat. And cost nothing more than a smile and a Thank you.

As for handing guns in for safe keeping, when I handed mine in I was brought in with 2 constables and together we thoroughly examined my guns, noted any and all marks and general condition and this was put on a receipt. When I came to collect 2 weeks later I had to be there at a specific time when the FEO was there as the firearms are kept in a separate armoury that the rest of the police have no access to, upon receipt again we inspected the guns and I could have raised objections if there was any issues.

I walked out with my guns no problem....and a couple of extra cartridges that just happened to be lying around the armoury for disposal too!

Edited by Rob85
Spelling

On 18/02/2021 at 10:02, bobthedug said:

I'm afraid the police will not accept your gun. They will refer you to a RFD to store them until your certificate gets issued.

I would do this anyway, as the police dont look after your belongings very well. Mate of mine is currently going through process of buying a new rifle and invoicing the local force, it came back to him with scope damaged beyond use, took a shot  and the front fell off. And gge synthetic stock had chunks out of it. 

25 minutes ago, Loki said:

Hiya

It is worth remembering that a S7 Temporary Certificate, only allows you to possess the firearms/shotguns/munitions, they cannot be used as no conditions are attached to a S7.

L

Really? I know you can’t buy or sell a gun with a S7, but I used my guns throughout the entire time I had a S7, with the full knowledge of my FEO, who offered to give me back my expiring tickets if I needed ammo, as you cannot buy cartridges with a S7. 
Have just had a look at a six month permit I have ( from 2016 )  issued under S7 of the firearms act ( does that make it a S7?) and there is no mention of me not being able to use the firearms listed on it. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Scully

1 hour ago, Scully said:

Really? I know you can’t buy or sell a gun with a S7, but I used my guns throughout the entire time I had a S7, with the full knowledge of my FEO, who offered to give me back my expiring tickets if I needed ammo, as you cannot buy cartridges with a S7. 
Have just had a look at a six month permit I have ( from 2016 )  issued under S7 of the firearms act ( does that make it a S7?) and there is no mention of me not being able to use the firearms listed on it. 🤷‍♂️

I've had a couple of S7's too and never stopped shooting at all, I'm in Cumbria the same as Scully.

Hiya

My S7's going back some years now (3x3months) never had any conditions on them, with the S7 only issued when the actual Certificate being renewed had expired. So whilst some may well continue to use shotguns/rifles if you dont have a valid Certificate and associated conditions I suggest open to a headache and maybe more if challenged.......

We all know different Police Services, Licensing Departments and FEO's have different interpretation of all matters Firearms Law/Guidance, and no doubt unwritten agenda too, just saying.

To my mind the Certificate conditions tell us how etc. we are able to use the items listed and S7 are to possess.

I am sure someone more knowledgeable or au-fait will clarify.

L

2 hours ago, Loki said:

Hiya

My S7's going back some years now (3x3months) never had any conditions on them, with the S7 only issued when the actual Certificate being renewed had expired. So whilst some may well continue to use shotguns/rifles if you dont have a valid Certificate and associated conditions I suggest open to a headache and maybe more if challenged.......

We all know different Police Services, Licensing Departments and FEO's have different interpretation of all matters Firearms Law/Guidance, and no doubt unwritten agenda too, just saying.

To my mind the Certificate conditions tell us how etc. we are able to use the items listed and S7 are to possess.

I am sure someone more knowledgeable or au-fait will clarify.

L

That makes little sense either I’m afraid, as the only conditions I have on my tickets relate to a signature, sales, a S1 shotgun and the rifles I own. I own several other shotguns and there are no conditions relevant to them apart from their security. 
Where have you got the idea that you aren’t allowed to use your firearms while in possession of a S7? 

An S7 is just for you to retain the firearms in your possession until your old license arrives no point in doing a new license then when it arrives it will be out of date as you might have bought a new gun on the S7 is what i was told 

Edited by Rim Fire

7 minutes ago, Rim Fire said:

An S7 is just for you to retain the firearms in your possession until your old license arrives no point in doing a new license then when it arrives it will be out of date as you might have bought a new gun on the S7 is what i was told 

You can’t buy or sell firearms in possession of only a S7. 

9 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Surely the whole point of an S7 is that you can retain possession and use them as normal.  It is simply extending your FAC for a period whilst a problem is sorted out.

Exactly. What use is a S7 to a gamekeeper if he’s not allowed to use his firearms? 🤷‍♂️

10 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Surely the whole point of an S7 is that you can retain possession and use them as normal.  It is simply extending your FAC for a period whilst a problem is sorted out.

The whole point of a S7 is possession without the ability to use. Its real purpose is for collectors, museums and executors etc.

Its not an extension of you existing licence

Edited by Vince Green

38 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

The whole point of a S7 is possession without the ability to use. Its real purpose is for collectors, museums and executors etc.

Its not an extension of you existing licence

It is a permit to possess, and makes no mention of not being able to use. 
Can you post a link to where you found the info’ regarding ‘without the ability to use’ as if it is indeed so, it would seem a lot of licensing authorities are overlooking it, and as such a lot of firearms owners are being misled and breaking the law. 
If you have a look at your shotgun ticket it gives authorisation for the ticket holder to possess, and in conditions only mentions ‘use’ in relation to their secure storage. 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Rim Fire said:

Scully that's what i was referring to

Which part? Sorry, I found your post confusing. You mentioned a new license ‘being out of date ‘( which it won’t be for five years ) because ‘you might have bought a new gun on the S7’, which you can’t, as I mentioned. 

1 hour ago, Scully said:

Which part? Sorry, I found your post confusing. You mentioned a new license ‘being out of date ‘( which it won’t be for five years ) because ‘you might have bought a new gun on the S7’, which you can’t, as I mentioned. 

what i meant was if they are processing your license and in the mean time you  bought  a gun with the S7 (we know you cant but if you could )

your license would not be up to date as you've bought something while it was being processed so the minute you get it through the post  it is  not up to date with what you have in your possession sorry if confusing 

38 minutes ago, Rim Fire said:

what i meant was if they are processing your license and in the mean time you  bought  a gun with the S7 (we know you cant but if you could )

your license would not be up to date as you've bought something while it was being processed so the minute you get it through the post  it is  not up to date with what you have in your possession sorry if confusing 

But you can't!

43 minutes ago, Rim Fire said:

Ah, I see, but your ticket would still ‘be up to date’ because the seller has entered all the details of the purchase on your S7, and you would inform licensing of the purchase as normal. 
None of which is relevant of course as you can’t make a purchase with a S7. 🙂

If you read the Home Office guidance it quite clearly tells you.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/518193/Guidance_on_Firearms_Licensing_Law_April_2016_v20.pdf

Permits authorising possession

6.17  Section 7 of the 1968 Act enables a chief officer of police to issue to a person a permit authorising them to possess a firearm or ammunition to which section 1 of the 1968 Act applies, or a shotgun, in any special case where it may not be necessary or desirable to issue a certificate. For example, a permit should in normal circumstances be issued to authorise the temporary possession by a relative or the executor of a deceased person, or the receiver of a bankrupt’s estate, of firearms or ammunition forming part of the property of the deceased person or bankrupt. A permit may not be issued to authorise the purchase or acquisition of firearms or ammunition (but see section 5(1) of the 1988 Act and chapter 15). If it does not specify possession only, it will be assumed by default that the permit allows use. A permit should be issued if a certificate holder’s firearm certificate or shotgun certificate has expired and they have made reasonable efforts to renew in good time.

So by default you can still use your gun. 

1 hour ago, timps said:

If you read the Home Office guidance it quite clearly tells you.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/518193/Guidance_on_Firearms_Licensing_Law_April_2016_v20.pdf

So by default you can still use your gun. 

Thankyou. I can never be bothered to look up things such as this, so thanks for taking the time. 👍

I was in the same situation last year. My GP practise were not cooperating as they were tied up with the  Coronavirus, and the police firearms dept were insisting on a medical report. I contacted BASC and they provided contact details for an independent   GP who could assist . I formally requested my medical records which the GP is required to supply under law. These were sent to the independent GP who provided the medical report for the police. 

Don’t take your guns to the police , that’s a unknown quantity. Take them for storage to a RFD who will give you a receipt to prove they are held ( in case the police tell you your certificate has expired)