Sir Kier Starmer's Recovery Speech 18th Feb 2021

TIGHTCHOKE

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Well well well, I am sitting here watching him claiming the "royal We" for all the good done since the end of the Second World war.

Only plausible suggestion was a post Covid recovery bond.

The majority of what he has said is what the current Government are already doing.

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Well well well, I am sitting here watching him claiming the "royal We" for all the good done since the end of the Second World war.

Only plausible suggestion was a post Covid recovery bond.

The majority of what he has said is what the current Government are already doing.

You must have missed the bit where he said the solution to corvid recovery was giving out free cartridges? 😳

Where’s his money tree, give everyone more money! Where’s that coming from. Easy to promise the earth when you are just in opposition. He didn’t think Boris would deliver the vaccination program, now it has become a resounding success he has egg on his face. He would have been crowing like mad if the vaccination program had failed!

Edited by Fisheruk

7 hours ago, Longbower said:

He wouldn't have a job , if he  said " Well , the government have done everything right, and we fully support everything they are doing, and everything they propose to do in the future". . He's a politician , they are like nappies, they should be changed often , for the same reason.

I think that would be a good outcome 😃

7 hours ago, Longbower said:

He wouldn't have a job , if he  said " Well , the government have done everything right, and we fully support everything they are doing, and everything they propose to do in the future". . He's a politician , they are like nappies, they should be changed often , for the same reason.

A world wide pandemic should never have become political. Yet again when all of Parliament should of worked together they have point scored and picked holes.. 

19 hours ago, Westward said:

Like the rest of the clueless lefties he'll never understand that you don't strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.

This.. 

Being in opposition:

1. Anything that goes well - you can ignore it - or you can either attack it as 'too little. too late' - or claim 'we would have done it sooner and better'
  2. Anything that goes badly - you celebrate - but in a 'told you so' way.

Starmer has a problem; he is basically a rather dull and nondescript character.  He has a party where although the MPs range from mainly reasonably moderate through to 'hard left', much of the 'party machine' is still very much dominated by the hard left, and much of the control and funding comes via the Unions - who are also hard left dominated. 

Ultimately he is a leader with some (rather vague) policies which he hopes won't offend too many voters - supported (a bit weakly) by the parliamentary party ........ and not really supported by the Unions, broader party machine and activists - who want to see much more radical leftist policies (as tried by Corbyn/McDonnell/Abbott/Long Bailey et al) ....... which Starmer knows can never win an election.

Am I missing something in the Government Bond idea?

People will only buy bonds if there is a competitive rate of return and if HMG are currently borrowing at very low interest rates, why would they issue bonds that costs them higher interest?

Edited by Eyefor

1 minute ago, Eyefor said:

People will only buy bonds if there is a competitive rate of return and if HMG are currently borrowing at very low interest rates, why would they issue bonds that costs them higher interest?

Either clueless or more likely thinking of selling to (or conning) the, shall we say, "less savvy" masses.   I suspect the latter.

2 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

Either clueless or more likely thinking of selling to (or conning) the, shall we say, "less savvy" masses.   I suspect the latter.

So "Be patriotic. Help the Country (but lose money)"? 

Also, would this bond be for the whole of the UK (i.e. including wee Jimmy Crankie) or just England?

20 minutes ago, Eyefor said:

I am not old enough to remember the Spitfire Bonds, but when needs must!:w00t:

12 minutes ago, Eyefor said:

So "Be patriotic. Help the Country (but lose money)"? 

Also, would this bond be for the whole of the UK (i.e. including wee Jimmy Crankie) or just England?

I assume if it were to happen the money would be for the Government to use at it saw fit!

17 minutes ago, Eyefor said:

Nearly every savings account is currently offering a poor return. Up until the last year or so, ns&i had some very competitive products so there’s no reason why they can’t make some new bonds attractive.

And there’s the bonus that you don’t have to worry about the 85k limit.

2 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I assume if it were to happen the money would be for the Government to use at it saw fit!

..that would be like giving money to your partner who has already told you they want a divorce?

1 minute ago, SpringDon said:

And there’s the bonus that you don’t have to worry about the 85k limit.

Good point.

3 hours ago, mel b3 said:

I must be a right sad puppy ,because that's exactly what I'd do 😳.

To be honest Mel, so would I - because one way or another we have to pay back the debt - BUT I just don't see the vast majority thinking in the same manner.

Stay safe.

Iain

Edited by Eyefor