What a snotty letter

harrycatcat1

We have had a whole bunch and I just use them as fire lighters.  No knock on the door yet.  Close the door on them if they do turn up. They have no right of entry wihout a warrant.  Just think what it is costing to send all these out nationwide. We have not had a TV for 36years and every time I used to get a letter asking, which was about every five years I used to write a two page A4 letter back explaining in full detail why I did not have one and why.  I now do not respond.   Nigel says when his Reform Party hits the headlines he will do away with the TV License anyway and the BBC can fund itself like the other stations.  There will be much weeping and wailing from the Luvvies of course.

I had one of those when my ex and me parted company. They harangued me for a while, which I ignored, then when I received a letter as yours above, I phoned them to explain my circumstances and was told I would still receive a visit. I told them they could send who they liked, but they wouldn’t get in. 
I have no idea if anyone ever called as I never heard back from them. 

I do not understand why the BBC gets away with acting like this. Imagine if any other private company assumed you had used its services with no evidence and sent you threatening letters and agents out who demanded access to your house, with no evidence at all, many of which are old or vulnerable, on what planet is that not harassment. How has the BBC not been sued? 

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

We have had a whole bunch and I just use them as fire lighters. 

The correct answer.

Even giving them the dignity of discussing it on a thread is too much.

1 hour ago, 12gauge82 said:

How has the BBC not been sued?

1. Litigation is incredibly expensive

2. Throwing good money after bad

3. Easier to just not pay them. 

4. Harassment is a criminal matter not a civil matter.

This is not just snotty, it's deeply nasty and clearly designed to scare and intimidate. I believe that the use of threats to get money out of people qualifies as extortion and I no longer have any doubts about cancelling my licence. The BBC has become a truly awful organisation. Their hubris in rejecting advertising as not suitable and regarding themselves as a vital national asset when 95% of their output comprises game shows, left biased news, reality shows, trashy soaps, kids programs like Countryfile and assorted other pulp and dross TV, is turning older viewers off in huge numbers. They should be self funding, and if they're snooty enough to reject advertising as beneath them then they should go the subscription or PPV route.

2 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

The correct answer.

Even giving them the dignity of discussing it on a thread is too much.

1. Litigation is incredibly expensive

2. Throwing good money after bad

3. Easier to just not pay them. 

4. Harassment is a criminal matter not a civil matter.

Completely agree, but considering the millions of people in the county, you'd think someone would take it forward as a matter of principle. 

As for point 4,ive also pondered this, considering the BBC is effectively backed by government with laws passed that allow the BBC to harass law abiding people and the fact harassment is a criminal offence, how has the BBC not been prosecuted and if they do, is the government complicit. 

Ignore it, I've not had  TV for years.

If you tell them you don't watch live TV they'll leave you alone for about two years, then it starts again.

I stopped telling them, now the letters go straight in the bin unopened.

The BBCs days are numbered, and they know it, although I foresee an attempt to fund them from general taxation.

Think any party that put scrapping the BBC forthwith on their manifesto would sweep up plenty of votes at the next general election. However cant see either the labour or liberal parties doing so . All the BBC news and political programmes are so left wing and woke they will not threaten them.

Come on boris kill them off for good

I ignored them last year and they kept sending threatening letters. So i sent them a letter and attacked them about Packam and few other over paid over rated unprofesional staff and constant cheap programmes and repeats. Plus i stream and the dish is not receiving. They sent a nice letter back and said that i do not require a license

So just write to them and the more and more letters they receive the better and it would cost them more to persue the matter Plus i do'nt think they would be allowed to use public funds to mitigate legal action Unlike Chris Packam has done

I like the part in the letter   any channel are they working for all channels or just BBC? Does that mean if you cannot get BBC on your set they can still come after you? The quicker they become self funding maybe Packham could use Wild Justice to fund it as he thinks it is his private platform

1 hour ago, armsid said:

I like the part in the letter   any channel are they working for all channels or just BBC? Does that mean if you cannot get BBC on your set they can still come after you? The quicker they become self funding maybe Packham could use Wild Justice to fund it as he thinks it is his private platform

Yes they can. The law is set so that if you receive any live TV at all, including other channels without a licence, your guilty of an offence 

35 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

Yes they can. The law is set so that if you receive any live TV at all, including other channels without a licence, your guilty of an offence 

Important to clarify that it's the act of watching or recording live TV (whether BBC or not) that requires a licence.  Not the equipment you own or do not own, or the channels you may or may not be able to receive...

Using Iplayer (but not any other on-demand service) now requires a licence too.

Edited by udderlyoffroad

6 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Important to clarify that it's the act of watching or recording live TV (whether BBC or not) that requires a licence.  Not the equipment you own or do not own, or the channels you may or may not be able to receive...

Using Iplayer (but not any other on-demand service) now requires a licence too.

Yes good spot. Thanks for that 👍

11 hours ago, discobob said:

The company that is actually responsible for this is Capita Business Services Ltd. https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/about/who-we-are-AB4

They are well known for their aggressive tactics and they also own another company well known for that - Parking Eye

Well fancy that, I wonder how many more unscrupulous companies are in their stable.

5 hours ago, GingerCat said:

Ignore me. Talking carp. Thought u needed it for the radio but you don't. 

You may have done sometime last century!:cool1:

20 hours ago, Walker570 said:

We have had a whole bunch and I just use them as fire lighters.  No knock on the door yet.  Close the door on them if they do turn up. They have no right of entry wihout a warrant.  

To the best of my knowledge if TVL  do have a warrant then its nature is such that the Police are not empowered to assist TVL in gaining entry the same as in the TV series "cant pay" they observe.  Simply don`t confirm your name to TVL , don`t open the door and let TVL in and the Police have no reason to react.

I cancelled mine 7 years ago now, wont ever give them a penny, as long as you dont watch or record live tv or bbc iplayer you do not need one

.Ive had a few letters but no visit yet, if ever they do ‘knock at the door’ i will open it ask what they want then slam it in their face end of. Not one bit of communication with them at all, i wouldnt even ring them up to confirm i dont need a license just let them waste money posting threats to me.

Saved myself about a £1000 already cant believe anyone would be bullied into paying these scam licenses in 2021.