Sensible grouse shooting

Walker570

I'm not sure what the sensible in the title references, but you are looking at complete opposite ends of grouse shooting spectrum. Driven grouse  is the full monty and will be very, very expensive!  Shooting over pointers is a totally different experience, for the physically fit and will not be particularly cheap. Both very enjoyable if course. Regards.

Edited by benbobailey
Spelling

9 minutes ago, Scully said:

Alston Moor? Wemmergill? Whitfield? 
What is ‘sensible’ grouse shooting? 

Yes, I know, realised that once I pressed the enter button.   I have a lady who wishes to buy her son a day on the grouse and she asked me if I could find out a likely venue.

She is not looking for all singing all dancing and I suggested to her that a day over pointers may be even more appropriate as I know the man in question.

I shot over pointers up at Lowther about 12years ago and that is one location she will look at. She appreciates it is not cheap but it is really a very special thank you present.

The man in question is quite capable of a day with the pointers, no problem and I feel he would enjoy that more.   Any help would be appreciated.

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Yes, I know, realised that once I pressed the enter button.   I have a lady who wishes to buy her son a day on the grouse and she asked me if I could find out a likely venue.

She is not looking for all singing all dancing and I suggested to her that a day over pointers may be even more appropriate as I know the man in question.

I shot over pointers up at Lowther about 12years ago and that is one location she will look at. She appreciates it is not cheap but it is really a very special thank you present.

The man in question is quite capable of a day with the pointers, no problem and I feel he would enjoy that more.   Any help would be appreciated.

There’s also Ousby Moor. I’m assuming you mean Knipe when you say Lowther, which belongs to ( or used to ) the Lowther estate? Lowther estate was once a huge concern, stretching from almost coast to coast. 

It has been about 12 yrs since I shot Lowther. We met at the keepers house just south of Shap and he led us onto the moor pointing out merlin and some large stags on the way up. We shot our quota over a couple of English pointers which where part of the days enjoyment. They where a joy to watch and for the unwary you tended to be looking at the dog when you should be concentrating 30-40-50yrds ahead where the birds where bedded.  Superb countryside whilst overlooking the M6 motorway.  I will pass on the names for enquiry, many thanks.

Shap Wells Hotel, off the A6 below the quarry, had an envious reputation some years ago, as the place to go, and back in the late 90’s early 2000’s, I used to shoot clays regularly just behind the hotel. Happy days. 🙂

I think the hut you mention is now used as an overnight refuge for hikers. 

Edited by Scully