Buying a Ukulele from Germany ( would this now have import duty ? Vat ? )

oldypigeonpopper

Try and make sure you get the ex VAT export price as you will be charged VAT on entry. Ask them to use a courier such as DHL, DPD,  UPS and not deutsche post. Anything via any countries domestic postal system ends up in the hands of Parcel Force which is allowed to charge an exorbitant 'handling fee' to collect the VAT.

A camera lens I imported from Japan was £20 VAT plus a £25 handling fee from PF.

Use a credit card for payment

Edited by 243deer

And if it’s over £135 there’s customs duty as well. But I guess that’s low on musical instruments.

Also it gets more complicated if it’s not made in Germany.

https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/commodities/9202903000

Goods are subject to Value added tax (20.00 %).

Importing from outside the UK is subject to a third country duty of 2.00 % unless subject to other measures.

Edited by SpringDon

There is actually a process now that HMRC want foreign companies to register for UK VAT and carry out the collection, reporting and payment of it to them. There are now a lot of companies that just won't ship and I have heard of companies refusing to deal with UK customers any more. This is something of our own doing in that respect. I would suggest buying shares in UPS as they are going to be making money from their "handling" fee hand over fist. 

Hello, thanks to reply, there out of stock till end of month , it's UPS posting about £65 all in so will see how it goes on purchase, shame I could not find one in UK, he loves playing the Ukulele , cheers

42 minutes ago, guinty1 said:

Hello, thanks for that,