Mars Rover Landed

The Heron

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Scully said:

Not really. Hell of an achievement admittedly, but not one I can envisage if you know what I mean. Too mind boggling really. 
It’ll be interesting to discover what caused the lakes to dry up....heavy industry? Farming? The combustion engine? 🙂

The planet lost its molten iron core it became solid which resulted in it losing its magnetic field and solar winds stripped the planet of nearly all its atmosphere which allowed the water to evaporate into space, or that’s the theory.

the landing is a fantastic engineering and technical achievement, but considering the distance to any other planet in the universe they may find that is like earth Mars is but a stone throw away.

1 minute ago, rbrowning2 said:

The planet lost its molten iron core it became solid which resulted in it losing its magnetic field and solar winds stripped the planet of nearly all its atmosphere which allowed the water to evaporate into space, or that’s the theory.

the landing is a fantastic engineering and technical achievement, but considering the distance to any other planet in the universe they may find that is like earth Mars is but a stone throw away.

I was only joshing actually; I was awaiting Greta to point it out as an example to us all. 🙂

You're right of course, it is a fantastic achievement by all involved, but totally over my head when I start to think deeply about it; taking seven months to get there for example, is just the start....and who sent the tweet? 😀 A bit like when I was at school when someone asked a teacher ‘where does it all end?’ and someone said ‘with a brick wall’, to which our teacher asked of them ‘But what’s on the other side, and who built it?’ 🙂

39 minutes ago, Scully said:

where does it all end?’ and someone said ‘with a brick wall’, to which our teacher asked of them ‘But what’s on the other side, and who built it?’ 🙂

Whenever I think of space , I come to this exact thought. It drives me mad because my brain isn't big enough to comprehend infinity 😕.

1 hour ago, rbrowning2 said:

I am so impressed with this answer. 

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

No!

Your Emerdale and Coronation Street will be on tonight 😂😂

I didnt realise until watching some documentary on Mars, that the max wind speed on Mars is only 60mph. I say only, 60mph without much atmosphere, and the gravity being reduced, could this cause problems in the future? Also listening to the Martian wind for the first time, was as interesting to me as seeing the red planet from the surface for the first time. 

I love all of it and hope for success so it prompts more exploration 

I have read up quite a bit of Mars history and apparently it is believed it was hit by three segments of a 'planetry projectile' with such force it blew one side of it off like peeling an organge and also blew away most of the atmosphere.  It will be interesting if they eventually disclose that at one time it was a green and pleasant land similar to Earth as it is situated at very near the same distance from the sun.    Are we originally Martians?  Sounds crazy I know, but time is irelevant and NASA already logs all the interplanetry objects whic may hit us any time soon. If we knew there was a simlar planet near by, would we not attempt to move house if we knew that five.ten years from now we would be wiped out by a huge impact?  Move us forward just 500yrs in knowledge and we would have the ability to at least move our genetics if nothing else.   Discuss

15 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I have read up quite a bit of Mars history and apparently it is believed it was hit by three segments of a 'planetry projectile' with such force it blew one side of it off like peeling an organge and also blew away most of the atmosphere.  It will be interesting if they eventually disclose that at one time it was a green and pleasant land similar to Earth as it is situated at very near the same distance from the sun.    Are we originally Martians?  Sounds crazy I know, but time is irelevant and NASA already logs all the interplanetry objects whic may hit us any time soon. If we knew there was a simlar planet near by, would we not attempt to move house if we knew that five.ten years from now we would be wiped out by a huge impact?  Move us forward just 500yrs in knowledge and we would have the ability to at least move our genetics if nothing else.   Discuss

ironically..............the martians all died of covid...many years ago..........the first thing the rover will dig up are face masks still rotting away......followed by cotton buds like bloody chopsticks