Start them young...

oscarsdad

Managed to get off conference calls by mid afternoon so popped up to very local perm for some roost shooting. Well that was the plan - my 5 year old daughter decided she wanted to come. 

Plenty of birds coming into the wood but with an animated 5 year old who decided she still isn’t keen on gunfire they kept flaring away so I gave up and will go again without her. 

I put the the little BSA ultra in for her to have a go with and honestly I was amazed how well she got on. She’s only slight for her age (only just 5) - I put a couple of clays (an orange one and a black mini) about 20m out and helped her - making sure she was safe and working the loading / cocking.

She missed with the first shot and I realised would be easier for her to find the target by minimising the scope zoom - the next 8 shots all hit the clays, including hitting the remnants of the clay from the previous go. She’s a markswoman already!  Very proud Daddy. 

As we left she had to call grandpa to tell him how well she’d done and tell him she wants to shoot and squirrel next and then a fallow lol!

I don’t think I’ll be able to escape taking her when she’s older, I already rarely get to go fishing without her! 

images blurred as we don’t share photos on the internet normally and taken with an empty rifle made safe. 

1DC600CD-DDBE-42A0-AB0F-C5CC4E322B4B.jpeg

35633E65-E103-45BE-9AAF-EA641C9FD212.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, flycoy said:

Good to see.

my daughter was the same. Son wasn't that bothered. keep her keen if you can. trouble is they get bored and cold quickly.

👍

She’s been again since...heard me opening the gun cabinet and asked if she could come and use the air rifle again. She really is quite a good shot - took a knock down target so probably 1/4 of the size of the clays and she was hitting that consistently too. 

Ocarsdad

think you are leicester way, when things are back to normal bring her to Kibworth and if you pay for the clays and carts I will help her along with a free lesson when she is a bit bigger. got to encourage the kids. if that suits you 

Flycoy 

52 minutes ago, flycoy said:

Ocarsdad

think you are leicester way, when things are back to normal bring her to Kibworth and if you pay for the clays and carts I will help her along with a free lesson when she is a bit bigger. got to encourage the kids. if that suits you 

Flycoy 

Thank you - that’s a great offer. 

2 minutes ago, flycoy said:

no prob, message me when you think she is ready and will arrange a day when I am at the ground and we can sort. 

I’ll put a reminder in my calendar...I don’t think it’ll be this year as she’s still not keen on gunfire and probably even a light .410 too heavy for her. Thanks again. 

Can I send my boy over for a freebie too?  He's 6'2" with a beard and a bit of a beer belly 😆

Seriously, that's a very kind offer you've extended there.  It can start racking up quite a bit of cost trying to get kids into sports and pastimes, only for it to be of no avail if they lose interest.

Does Kibworth Shooting Ground usually do any formal programmes/events for youngsters?  I'm mad keen to get my son into shooting obviously but I think he will be a good few years yet before swinging a shotgun.

Edited by Jim Neal

Sorry Jim. 
just seen this reply. 
I work independently and use Kibworth as a base because it is such a good place for coaching  and very receptive to novices. 
next time I am there I can have a look at your son if it helps and get him started. 
always happy to help and give advice to novices as they are our future in shooting.  if I am there working anyway I can spare some time to help. 
8 is a good age to start but can help younger kids, normally helping guide the 410 to the target with them but they love to break clays. 
Most dads or moms would like to do it themselves but I find the kids listen to a coach more and don’t blame us if it doesn’t go to plan. !  I have all the gear to help pad them out and ensure they don’t feel any discomfort. I often get asked or told to use the 12 bore side by side because “my dad and his dad used it so he will use it “

but I refuse and insist on the right size gun for them, they will hit over 50% most times. 

to see I young lad or girl walking away telling their mom and dad what they have hit with a empty cartridge and a clay in their hand full of confidence and pride means the world to me. That’s what it is all about , not always the money as some would think. 

BAsc run regular young shots days in the summer usually. Very cheap child care and great fun for the kids , shooting etc and meeting new friends. 
 When we are back into it. Will help if I can. 
Thanks All stay safe. 
Flycoy. 

👍👍👍

Very refreshing to see someone whose income from shooting doesn't come above sound ethics :)

I think my boy may be a little later than some before he's ready to swing a shotgun.  I may be wrong, and hope i am, but at 4.5 yrs old now he's still a bit of a loose cannon!  I think I'll get him plinking maybe this summer or next year and see how it goes from there.  Will definitely be in contact though when the time is right.

I'd love to coach youngsters for free but apart from the lack of time I probably need coaching myself, so I'd possibly not be the best teacher in the world!!

Did some drilling last week and a few pigeons turned up, so took my 11 year old boy for the first time today with the 28g he shot 5 and was made up as was I. He’s had a couple of lessons and we’ve shot some clays at home over the last 4months. I brought the little Yildiz over a year ago but he’s not long been sensible and big enough to handle a gun.