Jump to content

Recommended Posts

My brother and his Mrs want a working cocker and I would love to have the option of continuing the line of my own who has brilliant pedigree and has been bomb proof health wise.

He hasn’t been to stud before - is it still the norm that stud fee is a pup? With prices having gone silly I wasn’t sure. 
 

Where is the best place to advertise him available for stud? 
 

thanks 

33AA105A-C3D6-484A-A2A7-D4B956D4F28F.jpeg

Edited by oscarsdad
Pic added
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the same idea bud but it seems now that some want to pay you a minimum fee , and maximise profit ,more than give you pick of the litter,  was always of the opinion that it was a pup or cost of one at least , ?  Different world now maybe ? Greed rules by the look of it , good luck

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mickeydredd said:

The stud fees have not risen in line with pup prices, which to me is not right. 

The old adage of a pup or price of a pup should stand in my mind.

I was looking at a well used stud for the last year, based on it's fee price on petsforhomes it's earned just over 15k, pups produced will have sold for between 650 & 750k. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe we need a stud section adding in here ?  simple photo, age, size weight,  temperament and location plus a request of what the fee would be.

I may be after a stud for my sprocker one day if she ever comes into first season ! No sign at 15 months 

atb Agiv8

Link to post
Share on other sites

Got two bitches going to stud this week (one only ever has two and we’re keeping however many she has, the other we’ll be running hers on too so it’s not for the money)

Both are going to champion dogs, the springer stud is costing £500, the cocker £600 which we’ve no problem with whatsoever and a small increase due to the price increase in pups at the moment.

Not sure the point I’m trying to make here but you ain’t having pups without a stud, don’t forget if the pups turn out to be potlickers it’ll reflect on the Sire as well so it’s not just a mating you’re getting, it affects the reputation of the stud dog (or rather owner)

I couldnt care less about what the owner’s made on stud fees, I care about the suitability for my girls to produce the very best offspring given the information we have on both parents.

Also both stud owners have been given the option of a pup so we’ll see 👍

 

So really to answer your question and stop blathering on... 😂 You’ll have both pet and working home market. I would say at the moment  gorgeous as your dog is - is he by Dexter by any chance? - as he’s unproven you’re looking at a far lower stud fee. Personally we’re always happy to offer pick of the litter to a stud owner but that’s not the norm as at the moment people seem to be cashing in the best they can. 

Edited by bigbird
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Got two bitches going to stud this week (one only ever has two and we’re keeping however many she has, the other we’ll be running hers on too so it’s not for the money)

Both are going to champion dogs, the springer stud is costing £500, the cocker £600 which we’ve no problem with whatsoever and a small increase due to the price increase in pups at the moment.

Not sure the point I’m trying to make here but you ain’t having pups without a stud, don’t forget if the pups turn out to be potlickers it’ll reflect on the Sire as well so it’s not just a mating you’re getting, it affects the reputation of the stud dog (or rather owner)

I couldnt care less about what the owner’s made on stud fees, I care about the suitability for my girls to produce the very best offspring given the information we have on both parents.

Also both stud owners have been given the option of a pup so we’ll see 👍

 

So really to answer your question and stop blathering on... 😂 You’ll have both pet and working home market. I would say at the moment  gorgeous as your dog is - is he by Dexter by any chance? - as he’s unproven you’re looking at a far lower stud fee. Personally we’re always happy to offer pick of the litter to a stud owner but that’s not the norm as at the moment people seem to be cashing in the best they can. 

He welsh maeserderwyn (sp?) scimitar and other FTCH lines. He’s a muscular little rocket. Roost shooting with him yesterday and when I let him have a hunt as no birds coming in he found 2 woodcock, a cock bird and 2 muntjac so his hunting instinct is still strong despite minimal outings this season. He’s also still very good at giving me a dirty look if I miss. 
 

I am not after money for him as a sire, I would like to have a pup from him with a similar quality bitch - he’s not going with any old slutty dog lol! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

You have to be fussy! There was much discussion over which dog my FTW cocker was going to!

Best of luck, he’s an absolute beauty, would love to see his pedigree, there’s tons of cockers out there with those lines but if you get an especially good ‘un they’re usually VERY good!

Edited by bigbird
Link to post
Share on other sites

Supply and demand. 
 

You can go and get a FTCH stud from some of the best lines and kennels in the country for a few hundred quid. 
 

Spoke to a lad yesterday who is thinking of using Bishwell Black Magic, Field Trial Champion, Won some awards at the championships etc. 
 

Stud fee is a believe £500. 
Bloke down the road from me has a FTCH Labrador at stud, £800 stud fee. 
 

 

Whether people like it or not, the currently prices of pups is averaging about £2,000.
 

£1,000 - £1,500 is fairly cheap for a pup at the moment, if a litter goes up for that amount they’re gone within a day or so. 
 

 

 

You have to find someone with a bitch who would therefore: 

 

1) want to give you a pup back (so they’re basically giving you between £1,000-£2,000 as a stud fee); 

 

2) who wants to use your dog as a stud: whilst he is nicely bred as you say there are absolutely loads of nicely bred stud dogs out there that can be used. Have seen many nicely bred dogs advertised at stud for as little as £150. 
 

When someone can go and use one of the top dogs in the country for £300 ish then what is their incentive to use your dog? 
 

 

I know trials are not the be all and end all, especially for folk that just want a good shooting dog but they do give you a somewhat impartial idea that the dog is worth breeding from as opposed to an owner telling you it’s good. 
 

 

You might enhance your chances of you can find someone who wants to use your dog at stud and then you either buy the pup off them or pay the price of a pup minus your agreed stud fee. 
 

 

The days of pick of the litter for the stud fee are I’m afraid gone. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Supply and demand. 
 

You can go and get a FTCH stud from some of the best lines and kennels in the country for a few hundred quid. 
 

Spoke to a lad yesterday who is thinking of using Bishwell Black Magic, Field Trial Champion, Won some awards at the championships etc. 
 

Stud fee is a believe £500. 
Bloke down the road from me has a FTCH Labrador at stud, £800 stud fee. 
 

 

Whether people like it or not, the currently prices of pups is averaging about £2,000.
 

£1,000 - £1,500 is fairly cheap for a pup at the moment, if a litter goes up for that amount they’re gone within a day or so. 
 

 

 

You have to find someone with a bitch who would therefore: 

 

1) want to give you a pup back (so they’re basically giving you between £1,000-£2,000 as a stud fee); 

 

2) who wants to use your dog as a stud: whilst he is nicely bred as you say there are absolutely loads of nicely bred stud dogs out there that can be used. Have seen many nicely bred dogs advertised at stud for as little as £150. 
 

When someone can go and use one of the top dogs in the country for £300 ish then what is their incentive to use your dog? 
 

 

I know trials are not the be all and end all, especially for folk that just want a good shooting dog but they do give you a somewhat impartial idea that the dog is worth breeding from as opposed to an owner telling you it’s good. 
 

 

You might enhance your chances of you can find someone who wants to use your dog at stud and then you either buy the pup off them or pay the price of a pup minus your agreed stud fee. 
 

 

The days of pick of the litter for the stud fee are I’m afraid gone. 

I suspected your last comment would be the current situation. One of my neighbours was telling me her daughter breeds some sort of designer fluffy mongrel things, can’t remember what. She has recently had a litter of 10 and they sold for £3000 each! Absolute madness. It’s going to result in poor bitches being puppy factories and their health being massively impacted. 
 

Maybe I just need to get my brother to get a quality working cocker and they they can breed from her with my boy in a few years and we keep the line going that way. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/02/2021 at 17:18, oscarsdad said:

I suspected your last comment would be the current situation. One of my neighbours was telling me her daughter breeds some sort of designer fluffy mongrel things, can’t remember what. She has recently had a litter of 10 and they sold for £3000 each! Absolute madness. It’s going to result in poor bitches being puppy factories and their health being massively impacted. 
 

Maybe I just need to get my brother to get a quality working cocker and they they can breed from her with my boy in a few years and we keep the line going that way. 

It’s a shame you’re not closer, I’m just waiting for this little one to come into season.  She’s such a lovely nature that we would like to have a pup from her to add to the family menagerie.

D6A83F8B-7172-4F0B-ACFF-B143066B38AD.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jonty said:

It’s a shame you’re not closer, I’m just waiting for this little one to come into season.  She’s such a lovely nature that we would like to have a pup from her to add to the family menagerie.

D6A83F8B-7172-4F0B-ACFF-B143066B38AD.jpeg

Once lockdown is sorted and we are able to travel I am often up into Yorkshire either fishing or taking family to the coast so it could work. She looks very similar to my boy apart from no blaze.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...