Jump to content

Moderator question ?.


Recommended Posts

Hi gang.

               I've had my Parker Hale moderator on my CZ .22 for about 16 years and fired quite a few thousand rounds through it.

               I've never cleaned it and my question is if i do clean it has the rifle got to be re zeroed or will it be ok to use straight away.

                                                                                                                                                                            Thanks all.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd guess if you remove a lot of powder /lead build up then the mod may weigh a bit less and drop your barrel a bit less /give a different harmonic .

But depending on the barrel length  and thickness may make zero difference to poi.

Try it and find out .

Cant be too much issue in re zeroing ? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t touch it unless your accuracy drops. I have three 22lr rifles none have been cleaned apart from the bolts, chambers and firing pins for 10 years plus and that includes the moderators. The bullets still land where I want them. My 17hmr needs a little more attention, a pull through  after each outing. If I give it a more thorough clean then it needs a clip of 7 rounds through to get it back to grouping properly.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Im in the opposite camp here , ive always cleaned my rifles , bolts and moderators after every use and have never suffered any inaccuracy or having to put rounds through it first to get it grouping properly

i clean the .22 mod about every 200 rounds and the hmr every 100 and theres quite a bit of **** comes out of them then

you might have a bit of a job on anyway stripping the mod now , whatever you decide good luck 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/02/2021 at 08:43, telf said:

Im in the opposite camp here , ive always cleaned my rifles , bolts and moderators after every use and have never suffered any inaccuracy or having to put rounds through it first to get it grouping properly

i clean the .22 mod about every 200 rounds and the hmr every 100 and theres quite a bit of **** comes out of them then

you might have a bit of a job on anyway stripping the mod now , whatever you decide good luck 

Same here, centrefires and Mods for them after every use, rimfires slightly less!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/02/2021 at 21:22, Ultrastu said:

I'd guess if you remove a lot of powder /lead build up then the mod may weigh a bit less and drop your barrel a bit less /give a different harmonic .

But depending on the barrel length  and thickness may make zero difference to poi.

Try it and find out .

Cant be too much issue in re zeroing ? 

Agreed, yes clean the dam thing, they don't come from factory carbon up, it will take you 15 minutes just make sure baffles go back right way up and in line 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think i will clean it as i have just fitted a new extractor and holder into the bolt.

I took it out and fired 10 shots through it to make sure it was working ok and it was louder than it used to be.

If it is too gunged up after 16 years of use i will just get a new one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, samboy said:

I think i will clean it as i have just fitted a new extractor and holder into the bolt.

I took it out and fired 10 shots through it to make sure it was working ok and it was louder than it used to be.

If it is too gunged up after 16 years of use i will just get a new one.

Take it apart, and soak it in Hoppe's 009. This will remove most of the gunk. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...