Squirrel feeders ?

Ferret664

Squirrels feeders how often do you shoot them ?.

I have one thats been out for about 2 months.  Shot it twice a week apart then left for a month then shot it again a week apart twice.  Had 16 so far and still Seeing squirrels still on it on camera at first light but today no luck even after 3 hours of sitting got there 30 minutes before daylight so what went wrong?.

I have several others that I rotate and shoot and they are still producing regularly.  Yet this one you see plenty on camera at first light and for a hour then they stop but getting there before first light doesn't seem to work now as they don't show ? 

Edited by Ferret664

I don’t believe that there is any rhyme or reason, keeping totally concealed. Not moving at all. Movement is the most conspicuous thing. I have often nodded off, to be woken a little while later as the clang of the metal lift lid feeder let’s me know a squirrel is there. 

Bit hit and mis here as well.  I shot four on one feeder in an hour then next visit nothing but a chap who has a trail cam 40yrds away has seen nothing but squirrels.

I think it is all a bit strange certainly here anyway.

1 minute ago, Fisheruk said:

I don’t believe that there is any rhyme or reason, keeping totally concealed. Not moving at all. Movement is the most conspicuous thing. I have often nodded off, to be woken a little while later as the clang of the metal lift lid feeder let’s me know a squirrel is there. 

been there done that.

2 hours ago, Ferret664 said:

Had 16 so far and still Seeing squirrels still on it on camera at first light but today no luck even after 3 hours of sitting got there 30 minutes before daylight so what went wrong?.

Try and compare and record the weather patterns on the days you shoot, we have had high winds today,  the squirrels don't like that at all, we went out for a walk this afternoon and the wood we went to is normally crawling,  I only saw two.

It can be hit and miss particularly regarding weather and the wet conditions we have had.

If there is an abundance of wild food a feeder can be redundant.

I find that I am best feeding small quantities of high calorie food such as peanut butter, peanuts and sunflower hearts in a dedicated squirrel feeder. They are a small mammal which uses a lot of energy so need to feed regularly and will seek out the feeders but it is a war of attrition.

A feeder on dry ground in open view but shielded from cold winds, in the sun, located in an area with little other food is what I try to create. Maize scattered on the ground is a good visual draw but peanut butter really gets them going.

And most importantly you need to have squirrels in the area! If you don’t they will fill the void you have created come the spring and summer.

Squirrels also have a good sense of smell and hearing so watch the wind and be still and quiet 

Final point worth noting is that squirrels currently have other things on their minds!!

Edited by Goldfish

8 minutes ago, Goldfish said:

It can be hit and miss particularly regarding weather and the wet conditions we have had.

If there is an abundance of wild food a feeder can be redundant.

I find that I am best feeding small quantities of high calorie food such as peanut butter, peanuts and sunflower hearts in a dedicated squirrel feeder. They are a small mammal which uses a lot of energy so need to feed regularly and will seek out the feeders but it is a war of attrition.

A feeder on dry ground in open view but shielded from cold winds, in the sun, located in an area with little other food is what I try to create. Maize scattered on the ground is a good visual draw but peanut butter really gets them going.

And most importantly you need to have squirrels in the area! If you don’t they will fill the void you have created come the spring and summer 

This is a big wood 70 acres . I have 6 feeders out on it  . There are still plenty squirrels in it . Normally take 100-150 a year from it . All other feeders are working nicely and producing regular.  The weather for the sit was good yesterday light wind and pretty warm . There isn't a great deal of food available apart from pheasants feeders but I run fenn traps along them all the time so pick off most of what goes to them.  It's the fact I'm getting good picture of squirrels on there regularly yet they didn't show even though was there well before daylight. I'm lucky that I live next to the wood so check and top up feeders everyday.

8 hours ago, Mice! said:

Try and compare and record the weather patterns on the days you shoot, we have had high winds today,  the squirrels don't like that at all, we went out for a walk this afternoon and the wood we went to is normally crawling,  I only saw two.

I'm going to try a this afternoon as seem to notice that they feed at first light for a hour then between 2-4.30 pm in the afternoon 

There is litle doubt they have a sweet tooth.  I treat all of my feed with GameKeep.  I mix two bags in a cement mixer and pour a bottle of cheap cooking oil over the lot before adding a couple of scoops of GameKeep. The oil helps the dust to stick.   My mix is usually a bag of whole maize, bag of kibbled and a small quantity of peanuts (mostly for the little birds).  Jan/Feb this year so far has been very slow but I have given them a fair bending in the lat two years so the indigenous squirrels breeding stock has been reduced considerably and now all I am getting is incomers filling the void.   No doubt there will be a few youngsters born this spring so numbers will build again.   My own small wood (10 acres) is virtually a squirrel free area and any incomers only survive maybe 48hrs maximum if they are lucky.    All good fun.

1 hour ago, Ferret664 said:

I'm going to try a this afternoon as seem to notice that they feed at first light for a hour then between 2-4.30 pm in the afternoon 

I was out a few weeks ago, at a feeder and saw nothing for two hours, yet 300-400 yards away there were three squirrels happily or maddeningly rooting around on the ground still for acorns,  rather than come and take the easy food. 

That was a nice day, no wind and warm, maybe you need a good cold day to get them wanting the easier food from a feeder.

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, would be nice to see some more Reds about 👍

One of the lads on Facebook posted about seeing a red this week on the patch they shoot in the North East,  said it brought a tear to his eye, years of shooting greys paying off. 

Sadly elsewhere in Cumbria there have been a few causes of pox being reported this week.

1 minute ago, Mice! said:

One of the lads on Facebook posted about seeing a red this week on the patch they shoot in the North East,  said it brought a tear to his eye, years of shooting greys paying off. 

Sadly elsewhere in Cumbria there have been a few causes of pox being reported this week.

Hello, sadly I can only remember reds in years gone by 🙄

I fished the South esk  a few years ago and rented an A frame holiday house for the week. The owners had a feeder about 15fy from the window and sitting having breakfast with two or three red squirrels feasting their faces was a joy.   How these southern tree rat lovers can stand feeding them in their back yards and public places I don't know.   No comparison. 

35 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I fished the South esk  a few years ago and rented an A frame holiday house for the week. The owners had a feeder about 15fy from the window and sitting having breakfast with two or three red squirrels feasting their faces was a joy.   How these southern tree rat lovers can stand feeding them in their back yards and public places I don't know.   No comparison. 

Because most have never seen a red up close, they are like tigers or pandas,  just images on the telly unfortunately. 

Watching a red scamper around a few metres away from you is fantastic,  greys in comparison are just there to eat whatever they can find.

3 minutes ago, Ferret664 said:

I have never been lucky enough to see a red in person . I live on the Essex/Herts border so they haven't been here for many many years unfortunately but at least the song birds,  ground nesting birds and trees benefit from thinning out the grey horde 

I follow a group on FB shooting down there, they are largely responsible for squirrel control to do with tree damage,  normally they are shooting 6,7,8 as a minimum and regularly hitting teens a few times a week, but this year they are still seeing very few so far, blinking regularly because there are still natural food sources available. 

4 hours ago, Ferret664 said:

This is a big wood 70 acres . I have 6 feeders out on it  . There are still plenty squirrels in it . Normally take 100-150 a year from it . All other feeders are working nicely and producing regular.  The weather for the sit was good yesterday light wind and pretty warm . There isn't a great deal of food available apart from pheasants feeders but I run fenn traps along them all the time so pick off most of what goes to them.  It's the fact I'm getting good picture of squirrels on there regularly yet they didn't show even though was there well before daylight. I'm lucky that I live next to the wood so check and top up feeders everyday.

if the level in the feeders are going down, then you still got squirrels, if you have 6 feeding boxes up at least if its quiet at one you can go on to the next and so forth.

I've got a good sized box up at the moment and its empty in a week but a very rarely see a grey on it, think its time a trail cam.