Greenhouses?

Marccus

46 minutes ago, moondoggy said:

Good call moon doggy. 

I bought an Hercules greenhouse from the green house people. I have had it 6 or 7 years now, its brilliant. They are also a good company to deal with so I would endorse your recommendation.

I also agree with ditchy, get the largest size that works for you. 

Last point, the Hercules is higher than most models so much easier to work in. Beware of some that are on the low side if you are a tall person.

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

i loved my greenhouse..........i could grow anything in it...and it didnt die....................the only advice i can give you .....is when you choose your greenhouse......BUY THE NEXT SIZE UP.............cause you will always wish that you did

As above.  I had a greenhouse for some 30yrs until we moved here and then we built a 'garden room' where an old pig sty stood. Kept the back wall, put a profile tin sheet roof on the NE side and a double compartment plastic roof on the sunny side, with front and doors glazed.  It fits beteen two other buildings  15fty x 12ft but still too small over winter with protected plants. It's  like a posh greenhouse...NOT a conservatory.  It is great to be able to pull geraniums etc etc etc into for the winter and save a lot of money buying again the next year and also geraniums grow into sizeable plants eventually.  Plus of course raising seedlings and cuttings.   Our 'garden room' has an electric heater which clicks on automatically if the temperature drops anywhere near zero.   My greenhouse was a wooden frame about the size you are looking for and yes, it was always too small.  I eventually sold it on and it went to a good home. Regular coatings of wood preservative was the regime.    CHOICES CHOICES !!! there are a lot out there.

9 hours ago, TRINITY said:

Good call moon doggy. 

I bought an Hercules greenhouse from the green house people. I have had it 6 or 7 years now, its brilliant. They are also a good company to deal with so I would endorse your recommendation.

I also agree with ditchy, get the largest size that works for you. 

Last point, the Hercules is higher than most models so much easier to work in. Beware of some that are on the low side if you are a tall person.

Everyone is spot on, I'm about 6ft in my boots and a standard sized greenhouse is definitely a bit short , I bang my head all the time.

9 hours ago, moondoggy said:

Its similar to this, but was around £500 on offer.

Its nothing like as good as my Cedar Althom greenhouse was, definitely get as big as you can and check out the hight. 

On 21/02/2021 at 11:42, TRINITY said:

Marccus 

Forget to add. When I got mine I spent a bit extra and bought the automatic vent openers. They are a bit fiddly to set up as they need putting in the deep freeze to get them adjusted. However they are well worth it especially if your green house gets any full sun.

We can only dream of full sun in Wales, I would settle for one dry day a month & that’s in summer ️️

Edited by blackbird

On 27/02/2021 at 07:42, snow white said:

Put a small wall up as a base to raise it of the ground only about two corse it will make all the difference 

Fair point, but there is a downside to that. You also need the same corse below the door and therefore have to step over this everytime you go inside. The Hercules greenhouse previously mentioned has a door height around 6' 4" and even higher along the ridge. I am 6'1" and inside have a massive amount of headroom. Unless marccus is really tall, no need flat base is sufficient

4 minutes ago, snow white said:

Trinity you have it your way but it’s better if it’s raised up a bit so what if you have to pick your feet up to get in no big deal.

I have had greenhouses for over fifty years and all been on two course of bricks 

Probably down to fact I have been involved even longer coming from a family of professional horticulturalists. The reason I dont like a threshold is that I like an un obstructed entrance to get wheel barrows inside easily. But that's just a quirk I suppose. I am not dismissing what you suggest but it's a far more expensive option and with modern good quality green houses totally unnecessary. But that's life, opinions differ

Why buy a Greenhouse? - keep an eye on facebook and you will soon find one for free, all you have to do is dismantle it which is childs play. Replace a few side panels with clear plastic and just use 4 clips to hold them in place - when the greenhouse hits 40 degrees you simply remove the panels. Ditchy hit the nail on the head - get one bigger than you think you need.