Any Fruiterers About?

wymberley

I go by my grandfathers rule. Until they are totally black then don't eat them. Peel, mash up and spread on buttered toast with home produced honey.  The home produced honey is now difficult for some .... we have our own but still need to buy some in.  Green bananas or any nice yelllow are garbage and have been brought in green and ripened in ripening rooms here in the UK. Had a company local to me who did just that.  They threw away tons of perfectly good bananas because they where turning black to quickly.

Brilliant for feeding ducks.

They go black very quick when it is cold, that's why you shouldn't store them in the fridge and be careful what you pack them next to at the supermarket. Do not put them in the same carrier bag as frozen stuff or even refrigerated stuff such as milk, butter etc.

The recent weather has been a bit of a nightmare especially when you live in a tin hut like I do.

No, it's because of the banana treaty the EU made us sign up to, which standardised the length of time from flower to fruit the bananas are picked and then stipulated to the nearest 0.1 degree the temperature they were stored at and for how long, to the nearest minute, and then the French and Germans got the best ones and we were left with the dregs.

Should be OK from now on ;)

On 21/02/2021 at 11:02, wymberley said:

Question: Why is it we can't now peel a banana as so easily previously?

If you peel your banana from the stalk end, I'm going to blow your mind.  Peel it from the OTHER end.

I know.  Brain busted.

Peeling from the other end, use your thumbnail to split the skin and eradicate that retarded little black bit.  Then... you will discover a new world of almost string-free bananas.  Yes, the stringy bits mostly stick to the skin when you peel it from the other end.  Not perfect, but noticeably less additional stringy-bit removal than before.

Try it, if you're ready.......

12 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

No, it's because of the banana treaty the EU made us sign up to, which standardised the length of time from flower to fruit the bananas are picked and then stipulated to the nearest 0.1 degree the temperature they were stored at and for how long, to the nearest minute, and then the French and Germans got the best ones and we were left with the dregs.

Should be OK from now on

If you peel your banana from the stalk end, I'm going to blow your mind.  Peel it from the OTHER end.

I know.  Brain busted.

Peeling from the other end, use your thumbnail to split the skin and eradicate that retarded little black bit.  Then... you will discover a new world of almost string-free bananas.  Yes, the stringy bits mostly stick to the skin when you peel it from the other end.  Not perfect, but noticeably less additional stringy-bit removal than before.

that bit is called the "Bananus".

18 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

Should be OK from now on ;)

I know.  Brain busted.

You haven't by any chance been to Sardinia and in particular to an hotel a little east of Cagliari harbour and the football stadium  where the head waiter showed you his trick with a banana have you? :whistling:

6 hours ago, ditchman said:

that bit is called the "Bananus".

😂😁 thanks I'll borrow that one!

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

You haven't by any chance been to Sardinia and in particular to an hotel a little east of Cagliari harbour and the football stadium  where the head waiter showed you his trick with a banana have you? :whistling:

It's cost a lot in therapy but I'd almost forgotten that harrowing experience....

Over mashed banana with milk and sugar with a slice of bread and butter.

The main reason is we had a deal with a place for our bananas fyfes, for lots of years.  This was then thrown out when we got deep with the EU. 

Hence we now get cack from allover the place. There was a programme on TV years ago about it.

My daughter only eats them green, my grandfather only when black, sister in law's likes them nearly black, I like them yellow with brown spots, soft and sweet.

I find lots these days don't so much ripen as dry out and go powdery.

16 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

😂😁 thanks I'll borrow that one!

It's cost a lot in therapy but I'd almost forgotten that harrowing experience....

That sounds like a, 'yes'. We used to go every year for a month and as the drinks were pricey in the hotel, many of us took a 3 litre bottle of brandy. After watching this guy mine didn't last the weekend and I had an almighty hangover on Monday afternoon. Still, better than a lifetime of traumatic stress because of a feeling of total inadequacy. Mind you, I had to have 3 years convalescence in the north of Scotland before I felt able to return - fortunately, this time the MoD had managed to get us accommodation at our workplace.

On 21/02/2021 at 18:34, billytheghillie said:

its because of Brexit.

But Grease-Smug aka Rees-Mogg told us tropical fruit would be cheaper after Brexit. So given that the price hasn't gone down then surely we must now be getting a superior quality? A St. Vincentian "ex" told me that the best bananas to buy as ready to eat are the ones that show small brown speckles all over a good colour yellow skin. And she is correct. Try it.

Edited by enfieldspares