Vintage Raleigh bikes

DUNKS

Any experts on the forum? Like a chat if there is.

I am looking at a vintage 1960 bike which is in brand new, just out of the shop condition and this is impossible of course. I know that Raleigh from time to time have "anniversary" models made in  China and these do sell well. I cant find any current info on this particular bike. Just spoke to a Raleigh employee and neither has he. 

ANYONE?

Just now, Dave at kelton said:

That reminds me. My young brother when asked what he wanted for Christmas in the early eighties told my father a “Raleigh Chopper”. On Christmas morning he unwrapped this. Think my father misheard him.

CAC3667A-2832-4198-ABFD-43B8B3A0ACAB.png

Have heard that one several times, I wonder if that is what Dunks is after?:w00t:

56 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

Any experts on the forum? Like a chat if there is.

I am looking at a vintage 1960 bike which is in brand new, just out of the shop condition and this is impossible of course. I know that Raleigh from time to time have "anniversary" models made in  China and these do sell well. I cant find any current info on this particular bike. Just spoke to a Raleigh employee and neither has he. 

ANYONE?

Do you have a photo?

Recently helped my uncle sell an older genuine British made Raleigh - one of 100 made - gold framed Anniversary model
Had a lot of low-ball offers, the eventual buyer was an enthusiast who had 3 of the same model already, and the one we had was the most complete he'd ever seen, as it had only been to France for one tour after purchase.

Grew up on RALEIGH made bikes from the 70's - knew a few folk with Choppers, Shoppers, Grifters, etc.

Last Raleigh model I bought was about a year ago - labelled and painted IKEA as it was a folding model with a small design fault, so was sold off cheap to said private buyer in bulk = they then gave all employees one each at Xmas a few years ago. Not a bad bike - the design (manufacturing) fault is the way the handlebars don't fold as flat as designed as some muppet put the brackets on 90-deg off or some such....will get it fettled one day

Get some photos of the model you have posted up - will see if I can do some checking into it

A '78 hub means that part of the bike is '78 - so fingers crossed it's not a replacement

2 hours ago, DUNKS said:

OK clever clogs. and thanks. Hub is dated 78 serial number prefix is NN " cant read number it's too full of paint." Do you know where it might have been made. God it's heavy.

The badge is riveted on!

Just realized it's not NN upside down and full of paint it's W.

14 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

Just realized it's not NN upside down and full of paint it's W.

....when does SPECSAVERS come out of lockdown? 

Easy done though - I buy all sorts of rusty junk, er, collectable tools. The good info on old rusty treasures is only really visible once they've had a molasses bath for a week or so

• 1 month later...