Eye Dominance Rail

Chrs88

I’ve tried shooting with my left eye closed; picking up the bird with both eyes and closing my left as I mount the gun, and I just can’t get to grips with it, although I’m sure it works for some, and indeed for Dave Carrie there is no alternative. 
I think it was Timps who posted a very good, in depth and informative post on a previous thread on this topic, based on his own experiences;  it would be worth doing a search for those interested. 

3 hours ago, Scully said:

I’ve tried shooting with my left eye closed; picking up the bird with both eyes and closing my left as I mount the gun, and I just can’t get to grips with it, although I’m sure it works for some, and indeed for Dave Carrie there is no alternative. 
I think it was Timps who posted a very good, in depth and informative post on a previous thread on this topic, based on his own experiences;  it would be worth doing a search for those interested. 

Why not see where your gun is pointing when you mount it with both eyes open. If it sits about centre vision then just mount the gun and swing through LOOKING at the bird. Instinct should take over.    We have all had that bird, be it woodcock, pigeon or pheasant flash across a narrow ride and instinctively kill it stone dead.  On those birds you do not have time to think about it, so why should you when it is a straight ahead bird coming at you from a 100yrds away.  Don't mount the gun till you intend killing it.  Up swing BANG!!   Warch a few youtube videos of pheasant shooting.  perfect approaching bird to kill 30yrs infron of the gun but what do they do follow it through and then try to shoot it alongside or behind.     Gun fit is very important and hardly ever spoken about.

I would be willing to bet that the American lady mentioned had a gun which did not fit her perfectly.

Edited by Walker570

On 22/02/2021 at 10:45, Chrs88 said:

Hi Rob,

Funnily enough I watched this video at the weekend and certainly has “opened my eyes” luckily enough I have an eye check up this week so will ask the question whilst there.

All the best 

Hi Chris,

A word of advice when visiting your optician,they will set your specks to see across a small room or a number plate at so many feet. Ask to go outside and look up at the farthest rooftop, or top of a tree in a local park. That way you will get real distance into the equation, you will also get some odd looks from passers by when you are stood outside the shop with those metallic sliders in situ.If we shoot we need real depth of field not accross a small room.....from Auntie.