What are they?

I have been given a carrier bag full of hand loaded 10 bore cartridges that i intend to reclaim for my own first loading efforts. Some of the cases are quite rusty and will be discarded but quite a few seem very good. Most are finished with a thin plastic unmarked wads and as can be seen from the pictures  some are marked with a T or TN. I thought this may mean tungsten or tin but i crushed some shot with pliers and i dont think you could do this to tungsten. Is there any visual  difference between lead and the other shot materials available.

Thanks in advance

20210221_153031.jpg

20210221_182949.jpg

20210221_152649.jpg

Hi Roy den tungsten matrix will crush easier than lead. If crushed with pliers it will splinter and pliers will leave marks on the shot. Try crushing a lead pellet to compare it to the shot from your cartridge. Tin would be lighter than lead. Hw type shot would be tested with a magnet. Hope this helps.

I have posted two pictures of the same shot because i wasnt sure how it would come across on screen. The two crushed shot to the right are lead and the other two are from these cartridges and as described by Gas seal they both splintered. There seems to be a ring on the shot but i will let you gents be the judge. I am sure one day it will be as clear to me as it seems to be for you chaps but at the moment learning something new everyday.

Thanks

20210223_195358.jpg

20210223_194529.jpg

20210223_194402.jpg

Hi Royden it looks to be itm shot. I’ve loaded itm with fibre shot cups and plastic gas seals, l now use 4mm waxed over powder card instead. The load you have could be 34 to 36grains of blue dot with 63grams of itm. I still load this cartridge, with the fibre cup ,it is better with open choke. Itm is no longer available, you could reload it ( not the powder of course) or sell it. Good luck with your reloading.

Hi Royden I use wax over powder card because it makes the cartridge a (bio) cartridge. It’s not recommended to use choke with fibre cups and steel shot. I’ve used full chokes with the fibre cup and ITM shot. I found it patterned better with half chokes. It will pattern different in other guns. I found 56gram load better, I had a AYA 10gauge. I have loading data for ITM with different types of power, if it is of use to you l could message it to you. 

Hi Gas seal

I thought after i posted that it may be for environmental reasons but had to ask. My 10 bore is also an AYA and i would be very interested in any loading data you may have thank you. Dave at Kelton was also kind enough to send me some loading information some months ago but i am collecting as much information as i can in the hope that some of it will sink in. Do you think my gun would be more versatile if i was to have it opened up to half and half ? Sorry for all the questions .

Thanks 

Roy

H there’s not a lot of loading data for ITM . Wildflowers do open chokes up for using steel, it makes sense. When you have used up your ITM you will probably use steel or HW type of shot. If you are concerned about using fibre cup wads with ITM through full chokes you could message Clay and Game Reloading for advice as they sell them . If you are a member of a wildflowers club you could ask advice on reloading, it’s always better to ask questions. I will send some photos of data and information on loading, I’ve not got the hang transferring the photos yet, the kids will send it tomorrow after school computer lessons.

Guest cookoff013

When i did my nontoxic loading assay in 12gaug, it was to be able to shoot any nontoxic shot. I believe most powders can shoot any nontox, its just a matter of formulation of payload powder, the powder charge and internal ballistics always interested me. 

its the main event. 

with the limited data availability. My assay i used. I had a lead load with a nontox wad. Replaced the shot, with multiple nontox. Had it tested. 

essentially i can shoot any nontox as long as the payload is at or below 36g. Not bio wad though. I would replace the volume of a lead load to bismuth / niceshot/ itx10. In a heartbeat. But thats me.

On 24/02/2021 at 22:20, royden said:

Hi Gas seal

I thought after i posted that it may be for environmental reasons but had to ask. My 10 bore is also an AYA and i would be very interested in any loading data you may have thank you. Dave at Kelton was also kind enough to send me some loading information some months ago but i am collecting as much information as i can in the hope that some of it will sink in. Do you think my gun would be more versatile if i was to have it opened up to half and half ? Sorry for all the questions .

Thanks 

Roy

Don't ruin your gun by opening the chokes!