Clay grounds open on 29th March?

MWildfowler

12 hours ago, figgy said:

Might see you there Auntie, nice to have some in our neck of the woods. Great ground and should be great layout.

Yes I have shot there on a number of occasions and the targets were good apart from a couple of stands in the sun.. I think they will use different land to avoid problems. Using 2 good experienced course setters so should be OK. from Auntie,.

My local clay grounds announced today that as from Monday they will be open for fishing, clay shooting and airgun range. Food is available but must be eaten outside. Gunshop open but by appointment only. I cant get till Wed.

Lakeside at Wymeswold. 

Yay, I've 3 grounds advertising from Monday they're open.

1 is pre book by the hour, pay in advance and take your empties cases home. Maximum of 75 clays.

The other 2 are normal so my son, my son in law and me are going next Wednesday.

Is it strange that I've already sorted my cartridges, taking just 300😄 for myself and packed my bag.

I'm decoying tomorrow so it's not like I'm not getting out🙂

3 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

Yay, I've 3 grounds advertising from Monday they're open.

1 is pre book by the hour, pay in advance and take your empties cases home. Maximum of 75 clays.

The other 2 are normal so my son, my son in law and me are going next Wednesday.

Is it strange that I've already sorted my cartridges, taking just 300😄 for myself and packed my bag.

I'm decoying tomorrow so it's not like I'm not getting out🙂

Wow thats a lot of shooting. I only shoot 50 and perhaps whang another 25 black powder down range.

3 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

Wow thats a lot of shooting. I only shoot 50 and perhaps whang another 25 black powder down range.

Although I can get out being retired, my son struggles to take time off running his buisness.

So generally when we go anywhere mid week we fire at least a slab each often much more. Couple of places we go are used to us, probably rub their hands in glee when we drive in but we're always made welcome😁

47 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

Although I can get out being retired, my son struggles to take time off running his buisness.

So generally when we go anywhere mid week we fire at least a slab each often much more. Couple of places we go are used to us, probably rub their hands in glee when we drive in but we're always made welcome😁

Yep I bet they love you.

19 hours ago, Harryco said:

So all or most of the shooting grounds are opening on the 29th. What about travel restrictions. They are still saying stay local. How far is local?

I'm fed up with looking for answers. Don't really want to get stopped. 

Your thoughts.

Dave.

Apparently they are not going to define local like the Welsh have but leave it to commonsense, youll be fine.

57 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

What area of Notts are you Dunks ?

I live between Notts and Derby on the Leics border I actually have two shooting grounds within a mile or so but too formal. I just like a play! So I go to Lakeside. So friendly, and when we can the allday breakfast is to die for!!!

20 hours ago, DUNKS said:

I live between Notts and Derby on the Leics border I actually have two shooting grounds within a mile or so but too formal. I just like a play! So I go to Lakeside. So friendly, and when we can the allday breakfast is to die for!!!

Langar (airfield) is very informal, cheap too !

Reopen Sun 11 th.

On 26/03/2021 at 17:55, DUNKS said:

How is a clay ground 'too formal'   may I ask   ? 

3 minutes ago, Westley said:

How is a clay ground 'too formal'   may I ask   ? 

On one you have to book, the other it's frowned on if you are not scoring and you have to take the stands in order.

We like to just have a wander a chat and shoot whichever stand takes our fancy. Neither ground will let me shoot black powder.

9 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

On one you have to book, the other it's frowned on if you are not scoring and you have to take the stands in order.

We like to just have a wander a chat and shoot whichever stand takes our fancy. Neither ground will let me shoot black powder.

During the recent pandemic rules and regulations, I know that some grounds have had a pre book system and some also have asked that you take the stands in order, but it has all been to try and prevent large groups or queues forming. I shall be shooting next Wednesday, as a matter of courtesy, I have sent them a text message giving them an approximate time of arrival (which is midway between their opening times) and the number that will be in our group. We keep score anyway, just for our own satisfaction. I have not known any grounds that did not allow black powder, only muzzles loaders during dry weather due to a fear of fires. I do know of 1 ground where a group of 6 will be accompanied by a buttoner/scorer, but that is to allow several groups to shoot the layout and avoid queues.

Great! One question. what is loaded into a muzzle loading shotgun that might cause fires?. My muzzle loader has the same ingredients as the black powder cartridges I shoot!

There are three shooting grounds within easy striking distance of me "20 miles" None will allow black powder.

23 hours ago, DUNKS said:

Great! One question. what is loaded into a muzzle loading shotgun that might cause fires?. My muzzle loader has the same ingredients as the black powder cartridges I shoot!

There are three shooting grounds within easy striking distance of me "20 miles" None will allow black powder.

I can only think that they have witnessed the same as me. I have seen people using bog roll as an over shot wad when I ran a shooting ground. Did not matter where we were because of short grass around the layout. I do not know what some of them used as wads because we always got a cloud of confetti floating back on the breeze, The same range was used once a month by a Muzzle Loading club, after we had finished,  but I never bothered to stay and watch.

IF it wasn't bog roll, it was something that resembled it. I used to load my own shotgun cartridges so I am familiar with fibre and card wads, but this stuff was just like tissue paper ??  The main offender was using a Beretta O/U in 12 bore and a Pedersoli S x S.