Mossberg 500 .410 owners ( Standard not Hushpower moderated)

Gameking

gentlemen

I am considering one of these for mainly squirrel control.

I have never had a .410 or a pump so this ticks 2 boxes.

I usually use a 12G SX3 but fancy something small / light  - I do a lot of squirrel shooting and a bit of trapping for red squirrel conservation.

Can I have your opinions please and recommended cartridges and shot size , brand .

As I say, only shot a .410 a few times ( O/U) at the clay club where lots of guys use the Yilditz 30" to good effect on clays as a challenge and also getting on in years as a nil recoil option.

I fancy the pump aspect (3 shots) but am happy to consider a O/U if you think that may be a better option.

TIA

Fiocchi ..... Hull Cartridge ...and even Lylevale now make a very good 3 inch shell. Personally if I was feeding my Mossy for tree rats then I would go for 5s  and 6s if you could not get them.   The 3 shots is very handy, particularly at tree rats, they are tough little boogers.   To be honest the modded barrel will shoot just as well as the straight barrel it will not effect the result.  All down to if you want to keep the noise down.  I would have said a Mossy pump ideal for tree rat control.  Full choke essential to put as much lead on target as possible as you will not be shooting a fast moving target.   My Mossy throws about a 30 inch group at 35yrds  thats 100ft which is a fairly average tree.

I think personally that a Fiocchi #6 on full choke would be ideal.  At 25yrds (75ft) your pattern would be approx 24 inches and well packed.

I know there are other chaps on here who use 410s for control and sure they will have their own input.

Used to have a baikal 410 hush single shot for squirrels ,sold it and bought a 20gauge mossberg non hush , great gun and with it being a 20 it gives you that bit extra range and more options on quarry , especially if your a ****shot like me , but it always puts a smile on my face when i pull the trigger 

Hi game king I use a Mossberg 4.10 . It is about 6lb and easy to use. You soon get used to the slide action. I’ve been shooting for a long time but I have never shot a squirrel, for shooting rabbits I use Fiocchi cartridges.  If.410s can kill rabbits they will kill squirrel. I prefer a pump action or semi auto when shooting bolting rabbits with ferrets, with break barrel guns rabbits will bolt when you are reloading. You could see if any shooters in your clay club has one for you to try. I will be out with the ferrets as soon as we get a dry spell and the Mossberg is the gun I will use.

The Mossberg with synthetic furniture is very light.  The 20g is light as a feather and able to shoot anything from 21g loads to 34g off of the shelf.  Much more flexible than the .410.  

I sold my Remington 20g when I bought a Mossy 500 with plastic stock.   The Mossy was lighter.  

My mate had a mossy 500 hushpower in 20b .Great gun .Nice and quiet etc .but long and heavy .

He decided he also wanted a standard barrel to go with it .so he got one and we tried it out .the gun now being much lighter and shorter .upon firing a cart kicked like a mule with his normal carts (28 grm loads ) 

He had to shoot 21 and 24 grm loads to try and tame the beast .suffice to say he immediately  resold the barrel and stuck with the hushpower  one .

Whether this relates to the .410 I dont know .

The average height of a tree is about 80ft and a 3 inch Fiocchi #5 out of a choke barrel at that range will kill a squirel as cleanly as a 20gauge IF you do your job and put it in the pattern.  The 20 gauge is probably going to be that bit heavier to hump around but who is quibling at a few ounces if that is what floats your boat.  The benefit of the 3 shot pumper is just that you have three shots and there just might be two tree rats so you hve a spare.  The Husher barrel just allows you to do the job a little bit less obvious and that helps where there might be houses, footpaths etc.  If I had a need for a squirrel shotgun on a regular basis then I would apply for an FAC 5 shot Mossy Husher.

3 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

My mate had a mossy 500 hushpower in 20b .Great gun .Nice and quiet etc .but long and heavy

I'll say!  Got the Mossberg 500 in 20b moderated, and it's a lump to swing around.  Also to carry, it doesn't sit will on a sling.

But it is in the 'goldilocks' zone of quietness and stopping power.  Even normal (non-subsonic) loads are sufficiently quiet if you're far enough away from noise-sensitive neighbours.

All this is a long way of saying, if you can get away with .410, and unmoderated, go for it. The gun is a properly tried and tested design.

4 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

He had to shoot 21 and 24 grm loads to try and tame the beast .suffice to say he immediately  resold the barrel and stuck with the hushpower  one .

Still an itch I'd like to scratch.  Any idea where he got his?