Evening, all.

Sorry if I'm going over old ground, but the more I read, I realise the less I know. My basic question is what oil was used in the Lee Enfield oil bottle? There are articles by ex armourers that say Youngs 303 was designed specifically for the job. I have seen videos where the contents of the oiler are dissolved in water and funnelled down the bore for cleaning purposes, and also seen videos where the dropper has been used to oil the bolt. So is Youngs a cleaner and an oil, or was something else used. Many thanks for any information on this. 

Regards, Rob. 

8 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

Lots of chatter but WHY has no one offered to answer your original question?

I will. It was lubricating oil not 303 oil but a thin oil.

I believe it may have been (or very similar to) Parker Hale "Express" oil.  It is still available - though I doubt what you buy now would be the same as years ago.

I am told that the change in smell is due to there no longer being phenol in the make up (has now been added to the 'hazardous' list)

2 hours ago, DUNKS said:

Lots of chatter but WHY has no one offered to answer your original question?

I will. It was lubricating oil not 303 oil but a thin oil.

Cheers, DUNKS. 

I asked the original question because there is an article that says 303 'oil' was designed specifically for the Lee Enfield, but modern firearms require a thinner oil. I found that to be slightly misleading. 

Regards, Rob. 

2 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

I believe it may have been (or very similar to) Parker Hale "Express" oil.  It is still available - though I doubt what you buy now would be the same as years ago.

I am told that the change in smell is due to there no longer being phenol in the make up (has now been added to the 'hazardous' list)

I did wonder about this. I've no experience of this oil yet, but any of the original brass oilers I have certainly have a distinctive smell. My RFD reckons it smells just like his army cadet days! 

Regards, Rob. 

I am going to stick my neck out here. It's actually an inferior product for doing what it does. It doesn't lubricate (a friend had a friend that thought it did...he soon was disavowed of that when his barrel loop went "bad") and it doesn't do anything that plain boiling water won't do in terms of saturating the residues left by corrosive primers. Indeed plain boiling water is better as the heat opens the pores of the metal and then dries bone dry very quickly. 

The competing product was Edna Parker's "A C Oil" which was a much superior all around product. A C standing for "anti corrosive" as (from memory) A C Oil also dissolved it was claimed copper residue. And whilst nostalgia isn't what it used to be when I had the choice I always bought A C Oil of which I am sadly now down to maybe a half pint. Young's may be better known of these "potions" but it was alway the inferior product of the two.

Edited by enfieldspares