Boeing

Raja Clavata

5 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Quite.

How is this a Boeing problem - the customer (airline/leasing company) chooses the engine platform from a choice offered by Boeing and then is responsible for its maintenance.  That article you copied and pasted (but didn't cite the source) explains in poorly-written detail* how PW had shortcomings in its inspection processes - something which Boeing is unilkely to have commercial say over to commend them to correct.  PW is the design authority on the engine, not Boeing.

In any case, the aircraft was able to safely land on one engine - as it is supposed to.  Pilots, ATC and ground crews all reacted excellently - doubtless due to training but also the platform they were flying.

Take a look at this if you have the time

*'Stresses and strains' is just one example of journalese misusing precisely defined engineering terms...

Public perception.

3 hours ago, Vince Green said:

Yes a lot of the "second and third division" airlines are running older aircraft by buying secondhand parts to keep down costs.

Another interesting programme, in that respect, is the plane breakers. Literally every part from the engines down to the toilets of a scrap plane are carefully taken out and resold to somebody somewhere.

Lots of other corners get cut like re-using high tensile bolts instead of replacing them each time 

There's a counterfeit industry too I believe.

On 23/02/2021 at 10:35, JohnfromUK said:

No, they would be 100% safe - as they would never take off.

(I'm actually a very satisfied Defender owner of 25+ years ownership!)

The initilal findings (this morning's radio) are suggesting metal fatigue.

It’s also lucky landrover owners aren’t fish John , it’s so easy to get them to bite ..😉..😂😂

On 23/02/2021 at 12:57, JohnfromUK said:

I had an Australian Uncle, who was quite senior in the Australian equivalent of the Air Ministry.  He was very much an engineer who worked 'within the civil service' and was Farnborough trained.  When he retired amongst other things he was an independent consultant engineer to various international air safety panels/investigations, which would have been in the 1980s.

There were only certain airlines with whom he would fly (which from memory included Quantas, BA, PanAm) - but a lot of the 'third world' local air services he would only use as an absolute last resort.  I know he was involved with an investigation of some sort in India - and refused to fly once he got there - using rail instead to get from wherever he arrived to where he needed to be.  Maintenance (or lack of it) was the whole issue as the planes themselves were much the same as the major airlines were using.

I did many years ago have to fly with a “ third world “ local air service in Africa ... flying was a very loose description , the words “ just about “ should have been placed before the word flying .. Two trips was my lot , I wasn’t liking the old saying third time lucky ...