Investment platforms/apps

Doc Holliday

I'm looking for recommendations on investment platforms. I know several of our illustrious members are very astute investors and wondered which, if any, you used. 

I was looking at Interactive Investor today, as my analyst friend has suggested them. She is an incredibly smart and switch on person and I value her advice. I'm just curious to know from other sources what their preferred investment tool/avenue was. 

Thanks in advance. 

I use AJ Bell. 

@oowee gave me some good advice but my mate have me some more good advice about funds. 

I used AJ Bell to open a stocks and shares ISA. I can put in £20,000 per year tax free. 

My money in that ISA is up 18% currently.

Before lockdown my bank was paying me about 1% on a savings' account, and when Covid came in emailed everyone to say they're dropping the rate to 0%. 

27 minutes ago, JTaylor91 said:

I use eToro. You can “copy” established investors on there or go it alone. The gains can be very good but the risk can be high. My total profit since the beginning of Jan is currently 109%.

Also use Hargreaves Lansdown but only for longer term as they charge £12 per trade.

You invest is the one I use. Ten or more share trades a month £4.95, single trade £9.95, annual custody charge for an ISA or Sipp around 0.25%. There is a wide range of excellent information about investing options together with model portfolio's that you can use on the site. The option of buying Exchange traded funds (a collection of shares owned by a company where the company price is traded and listed on the market) may be a good way to start for smaller investors as it spreads the risk.

There are generaly two ways go. Pick winners and bang in the cash, the same as gambling or spread your cash and follow the market. In overall terms over time it might be reasonable to expect the average return to be 7.8% (|FTSE avearge return divi's and capital rise).

I would love a net profit for this year 😂.