Home welder

welshwarrior

3 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Like shooting.  Easy to teach someone the basics.  A lifetime to master.  Those that think they know it all, have stopped learning.  Those that make money doing it better know what they're doing, and have invested considerable sums in their qualification 

This idea that a 'welder' is some kind of knuckle dragger who sat at the back of the class and knows very little and earns even less, needs to die quickly.

I certainly was suggesting they lack skill or intelligence, my father employed over 40 full time welder (in the fitters shop, and on site in the main) so know the skill level of a professional, they imparted some basics back in the 90s on me, but must confess I preferred the machine shop with tool makers, when I wasn’t rebuilding engines or remachining hydraulic rams etc. 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m not intending to hijack a thread but I’ve been following this with interest.  I’ve just been cleaning up an old welder I was given a few years back. It’s all new to me, so when it blows up - I’ll be following the recommendations on here as to,which new one to buy.  

899291A2-A3BC-4D15-8B0C-EE5602765FDF.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, figgy said:

Ha ha, don't want a belt off that transformer. If it don't have a casing get one or bin it.

I was cleaning the dead spiders out of it Figgy.  I cleaned it up and gave it a coat of paint and its welding beautifully - well it would be beautiful if I could actually weld properly 😀 

Welder 1.jpg

Welder 2.jpg

2 hours ago, ditchman said:

well done ............most people would have thrown that away....:good:

Cheers Ditchman.  I put a new electrode holder and earth clamp on it and when I put a voltmeter across it, it’s bang on with the specs shown in the 1977 version of the users manual I found on line.  I’m now spending a lot of time on YouTube welding channels.

48 minutes ago, Jonty said:

Cheers Ditchman.  I put a new electrode holder and earth clamp on it and when I put a voltmeter across it, it’s bang on with the specs shown in the 1977 version of the users manual I found on line.  I’m now spending a lot of time on YouTube welding channels.

dont buy cheap welding rods....and start off with a downhand rod like Satinex......leave the multi postional rods until you can draw a good bead...

42 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Where are you buying your rods from Ditchie?

i buy them from several different places.........think you can get satinex off amazon......2.5mm & 3.2mm.........

also a good general mild steel rutile rod ...easy to use is Fastex....and Universal..............to begin with keep well away from high fracture strength rods like Lo-Hydrogen....you dont need them...unless you are working in the oil industry or welding nuclear reactors together

On 07/03/2021 at 09:39, Rob525 said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273877930650

I'm in the same boat...

What about something like this. As far as I can see it ticks all the boxes that you guys have mentioned. mig with gas for smaller gauge (gas neater than gasless) and stick capable for slightly bigger stuff.

Or am I looking at this wrong. This will be my first welder by the way. 

Thanks and sorry for jumping in to your thread but it relates to yours to it seems and would be silly to stat a new one to ask the advice on one welder! 

Hello, having looked at the specifications on a lot of welders the one Rob mentioned on this post sounds a good buy, you have the advantage of MMA and Mig on one welding set, 

On 23/03/2021 at 10:10, ditchman said:

to begin with keep well away from high fracture strength rods like Lo-Hydrogen

Thanks ditchy.  Yes I ain't too worried about hydrogen embrittlement.

On 23/03/2021 at 10:10, ditchman said:

you dont need them...unless you are working in the oil industry or welding nuclear reactors together

The key to good penetration is good preparation - applies just as much as to those working in nuclear/O&G having every weld NDE'd up the wazoo as it does to us messing around in our sheds.

14 hours ago, welshwarrior said:

But I’m looking for a stick welder to finish my home reactor kit to go off grid 😜

thanks for all the advice guys I’m keep an eye out for a mig set up.  

From our discussion i guess you'll indeed have to go with gasless mig.