Beavers introduced in Dorset , and a news report on the decline of fresh water fish ??

oldypigeonpopper

3 hours ago, islandgun said:

Is there not a government scheme to eradicate the little *********....... if not there should be

No its almost the reverse, they put huge obstacles galore in the way of genuine people wanting to catch them. Its crazy to me but they say "they have to protect the native crayfish" but the native crayfish are long gone, kaput, finished, as soon as the reds turn up.

Instead they should be producing books on how to cook crayfish, 101 crayfish recipes. The crayfish BBQ book, etc, they are a potentially huge and more or less sustainable food source. In Florida they are a delicacy served in restaurants. Crawfish they call them.

Another huge missed opportunity in my opinion. Crawfishing a pastime for all the family, catch em on a Saturday, BBQ em on a Sunday.

forget the food bank, get a crawfish trap and feed your family for free for evermore. More protein than rump steak 

Edited by Vince Green

1 hour ago, Vince Green said:

No its almost the reverse, they put huge obstacles galore in the way of genuine people wanting to catch them. Its crazy to me but they say "they have to protect the native crayfish" but the native crayfish are long gone, kaput, finished, as soon as the reds turn up.

Instead they should be producing books on how to cook crayfish, 101 crayfish recipes. The crayfish BBQ book, etc, they are a potentially huge and more or less sustainable food source. In Florida they are a delicacy served in restaurants. Crawfish they call them.

Another huge missed opportunity in my opinion. Crawfishing a pastime for all the family, catch em on a Saturday, BBQ em on a Sunday.

forget the food bank, get a crawfish trap and feed your family for free for evermore. More protein than rump steak 

Completely agree, Catching crays should be encouraged, it would be a live catch trap so native's could be slipped back, I remember catching them in Australia in the farm dam [yabbies] very good to eat

Just now, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, do you mean a native to UK crayfish ?

I don't tout myself as a crayfish expert but I seem to recall it being very dark (it was in a shallow but fast moving clear stream by a footbridge on a footpath. It does come to mind that it had one much larger claw than the other one. Make of that what you will 🤷‍♂️

6 minutes ago, discobob said:

I don't tout myself as a crayfish expert but I seem to recall it being very dark (it was in a shallow but fast moving clear stream by a footbridge on a footpath. It does come to mind that it had one much larger claw than the other one. Make of that what you will 🤷‍♂️

Hello, 18 years ago may well have been a native crayfish, 

16 minutes ago, discobob said:

@oldypigeonpopper it was here - on the River Windrush

https://www.walkandcycle.co.uk/trail?trailcode=OXFOTR0042

Although googling for it I found there is a company called Continental Crayfish Ltd in Witney and a story of someone dumping crayfish in Witney 😞

Hello, yes I know that area of Witney , have fished the river a few times, never heard of that Company, are they still going ? That would not surprise me , same as years ago when the antis raided mink farms and let them go , I realy do not know why we have the EA as there useless at doing anything with our lovely rivers

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

7 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, yes I know that area of Witney , have fished the river a few times, never heard of that Company, are they still going ?

Comes up on 192.com - https://www.192.com/atoz/business/witney-ox28/fish-farms/continental-crayfish-limited/fdf20dc35fe6a91aa14a36b680d10d2516857eb8/comp/

listed as a fish farm 🤷‍♂️

I used to live in Carterton (RAF and then civvie) and we loved going down the water meadows there especially in hot weather as it was always a couple of degrees cooler. Also loved doing the path round to Black Bourton around the camp on an icy morning with the dogs - wish I still lived down that way but I believe that Brize is a lot more busier than it was when we left in 2004.

I can remember my first stint on Brize and was in the accommodation block near to the runway and the Falklands flight that used to take off - it was quieter to keep the windows open because they rattled that much when they were closed :D

On 23/02/2021 at 13:19, stuartyboy said:

I support rewilding with indigenous species. For me personally, the more wildlife I see and varied the better. The benefits are numerous both enviromentally and financial. I appreciate that for a minority it may cause some issues but on the whole, for a healthy countryside we need as much diversity as possible. Obviously some species such as grey squirrels are enormously harmful but not as harmful to the environment as humans. Its people who have changed the landscape to a theme of monoculture as a whole with very little biodiversity, not the absence or inclusion of certain species.

Take your example of the otters. You had concerns but now they are present they have greatly helped restore the balance in favour of a healthy water system which benefits the trout. 

perhaps we should cull humans?

33 minutes ago, discobob said:

Comes up on 192.com - https://www.192.com/atoz/business/witney-ox28/fish-farms/continental-crayfish-limited/fdf20dc35fe6a91aa14a36b680d10d2516857eb8/comp/

I used to live in Carterton (RAF and then civvie) and we loved going down the water meadows there especially in hot weather as it was always a couple of degrees cooler. Also loved doing the path round to Black Bourton around the camp on an icy morning with the dogs - wish I still lived down that way but I believe that Brize is a lot more busier than it was when we left in 2004.

I can remember my first stint on Brize and was in the accommodation block near to the runway and the Falklands flight that used to take off - it was quieter to keep the windows open because they rattled that much when they were closed :D

Hello, it is a very busy airport now, 

32 minutes ago, discobob said:

I remember the chippie in Carterton with fond memories, I am often down that way because I buy a lot of shooting supplies from Dauntsey. Still the best stocked gunshop and I am often passing on the M4

3 hours ago, Vince Green said:

I remember the chippie in Carterton with fond memories, I am often down that way because I buy a lot of shooting supplies from Dauntsey. Still the best stocked gunshop and I am often passing on the M4

The OLD one that was by the pub before the supermarket got built, the one in the center or the one down by the back gates next to what was Maryville Garage :) Don't know if any more have been built in the time!!

6 hours ago, discobob said:

The OLD one that was by the pub before the supermarket got built, the one in the center or the one down by the back gates next to what was Maryville Garage :) Don't know if any more have been built in the time!!

Hello, cannot beat a good chippy, my go to is the Penguin fish and chip bar in Wantage, 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

@oldypigeonpopperI don't know what it was but we didn't frequent the chippy that much while we were down there (we left nearly 17 years ago) - My wife used to work at the Mulberry Bush School at Standlake and a lot of our evening meals were provided from there as a perk of the job!!

The Big Fish chippy in Mold is very good I think - Chips are never soggy from there - I hate soggy chips - but from the way my waistband has expanded (especially since packing up smoking) I should hate chips full stop - and biscuits  - and crisps and....... 😜

32 minutes ago, discobob said:

@oldypigeonpopperI don't know what it was but we didn't frequent the chippy that much while we were down there (we left nearly 17 years ago) - My wife used to work at the Mulberry Bush School at Standlake and a lot of our evening meals were provided from there as a perk of the job!!

The Big Fish chippy in Mold is very good I think - Chips are never soggy from there - I hate soggy chips - but from the way my waistband has expanded (especially since packing up smoking) I should hate chips full stop - and biscuits  - and crisps and....... 😜

Hello, I think this lockdown has not help with people's waistband, I remember the school , just off the main road if I recall, use to fish a trout lake in Stand lake down Martin's lane, cheers

On 25/02/2021 at 08:41, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, yes I know that area of Witney , have fished the river a few times, never heard of that Company, are they still going ? That would not surprise me , same as years ago when the antis raided mink farms and let them go , I realy do not know why we have the EA as there useless at doing anything with our lovely rivers

By analysis they don't seem to be doing much of anything within their brief?

But why should we expect more?

Edited by old man