Gyttorp Cartridges

5 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Gawd that takes me back a fair few years. Used to shoot those back in the 70s and they where a very good cartridge if I remember and before anyone mentions it I know it is difficult at my age

Yes, I remember them! Very fancy and not cheap. Were they green?

On 23/02/2021 at 22:43, Townie said:

On 23/02/2021 at 22:43, Townie said:

Back in the 70s in cardboard cases Gytthop Sport were buff coloured with red writing and Gytthorp Trap were Red with black writing

I remember these. Years ago, Dad had a couple of boxes left over which he was saving, along with some winchester gbs and some other odds and ends. They were his favourite carts by a mile and one of his most cherished possessions. So obviously, he kept them separate from the rest of the ammo, in a safe place of great reverence. Or not. So when I grabbed a couple of old boxes of carts from the back of the cupboard to go and shoot crows around the farm one afternoon, I got quite a haul and thought he would be pleased. When he saw the empties, he was strangely miffed. My offer to replace with a couple of boxes of eley grand prix wasn't well received. 

Too right! Many people laud Grand Prix not remembering that they were actually...pretty much...Eley's cheapest cartridge and made to a price point to compete in then 19th Century with imported cartridges. It was NEVER their top of the line offering at that past time. Cheap. Cheerful. Goes bang. Nothing special. Too right a box of Grand Prix for a box of Gyttorp. Like swapping fillet steak for a tin of Spam.

Edited by enfieldspares

19 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

Too right! Many people laud Grand Prix not remembering that they were actually...pretty much...Eley's cheapest cartridge and made to a price point to compete in then 19th Century with imported cartridges. It was NEVER their top of the line offering at that past time. Cheap. Cheerful. Goes bang. Nothing special. Too right a box of Grand Prix for a box of Gyttorp. Like swapping fillet steak for a tin of Spam.

I could have bunged him a couple of boxes of record instead... 

• 2 weeks later...