Gralloch training

bottletopbill

Easiest way is to go on a paid stalk for a cull animal which is not expensive. There are one or two really good guides in Sussex. That is what I did when I started. We had 2 munties hung up next to each other, the guide did one step by step and I followed.

What species do you have on your ground?

To Mickeydredd  thank you joined the site last night and had some answers now want to see our Gralloch is done and keeping every one safe.  

18 hours ago, 243deer said:

Easiest way is to go on a paid stalk for a cull animal which is not expensive. There are one or two really good guides in Sussex. That is what I did when I started. We had 2 munties hung up next to each other, the guide did one step by step and I followed.

What species do you have on your ground?

Roe and also heard muntjac calling

Having travelled about a bit I have seen many different approaches to sorting a deer/pig carcase.  They are really just big rabbits and personally I go with the way Polish Forestry guides did it. Basically opened up from chin to anus and emptied out. IF the extraction is going to be difficult, through herbage and mud I just make as small of an incision as possible then drop just the guts out making sure not to split/cut any of it.  In Texas the whole animal would be taken back to the larder and cleaned out there and the same in Slovenia. In the mountains then just the meat is taken and the trophy if required. As said above book yourself a day with a reputable guide and have him talk you through it.  You can fairly easily pull up details of where to look for any signs of sickness in the animal from the web.   BUT getting your hands in there and actually doing it is really the only way to learn.  I did the meat hygene cours with the NGO and that was worth it and value for money but I see they are upgrading the DSCs now so I suppose they need to keep the money flowing in.

On 05/03/2021 at 19:45, Walker570 said:

Having travelled about a bit I have seen many different approaches to sorting a deer/pig carcase.  They are really just big rabbits and personally I go with the way Polish Forestry guides did it. Basically opened up from chin to anus and emptied out. IF the extraction is going to be difficult, through herbage and mud I just make as small of an incision as possible then drop just the guts out making sure not to split/cut any of it.  In Texas the whole animal would be taken back to the larder and cleaned out there and the same in Slovenia. In the mountains then just the meat is taken and the trophy if required. As said above book yourself a day with a reputable guide and have him talk you through it.  You can fairly easily pull up details of where to look for any signs of sickness in the animal from the web.   BUT getting your hands in there and actually doing it is really the only way to learn.  I did the meat hygene cours with the NGO and that was worth it and value for money but I see they are upgrading the DSCs now so I suppose they need to keep the money flowing in.

Will look at our the Polish Forestry guides have a video many thanks