Well done our shooting org’s! 👍

Scully

43 minutes ago, wymberley said:

I'm not quite sure whether or not BASC are qualified to make this recommendation. Suffice to say in their information sheet for steel shot where they mention this they quote both the CIP and the UK proof houses - you pays your money and takes your choice.

You do indeed. Lead is going, so we just have to get on with it. 
I’ll be creating my own little store but use steel also, so it doesn’t really matter to me what BASC’s advice is, or the GTA, or the cartridge manufacturers, or the proof houses. 🙂
I’ve been using it today and it works a treat on bolting bunnies. 🤷‍♂️

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Scully said:

You do indeed. Lead is going, so we just have to get on with it. 
I’ll be creating my own little store but use steel also, so it doesn’t really matter to me what BASC’s advice is, or the GTA, or the cartridge manufacturers, or the proof houses. 🙂
I’ve been using it today and it works a treat on bolting bunnies. 🤷‍♂️

Happy to agree except that I've only used it on clays, but zinc did work on the bunnies as well.

I find it interesting that they use HP steel in the USA (where US manufactured guns have very thick steel barrels and are unproved ) BUT they also buy and use European imports such as Blaser, Beretta , Caesar Guerini that are NOT HP proved .

It is noticable that HP proved guns are dimensionably the same as their normal proved guns .

Would it not be a relatively cheap and simple process to submit your favoured gun to Birminham for HP proving?

I have never seen or heard of a genuinely Steel damaged gun ! Apart from one on Youtube that was a frail SxS deliberately subjected to very heavy Wildfowling loads , and that had only slightly bulged the choked barrel .

From the browning website

READ THE ENTIRE ANSWER BELOW BEFORE USING STEEL SHOT IN ANY FIREARM

All current Browning shotguns with the Standard Invector, Invector-Plus and DS choke tube systems are fully steel shot compatible with current factory loads. However, there are limitations to the compatibility of many older Browning shotguns with conventionally choked barrels. In certain models, shooting steel shot may cause a slight "ring bulge" just inches behind the muzzle or irreversible damage or harm to the shooter depending on the firearm.  Accordingly, our recommendations concerning the use of steel shot in Browning shotguns is as follows:

Full text at

https://www.browning.com/support/frequently-asked-questions/can-i-shoot-steel-shot-in-my-browning-shotgun.html

3 hours ago, Salopian said:

Would it not be a relatively cheap and simple process to submit your favoured gun to Birminham for HP proving?

I think the concern is that a gun that has failed proof can't be returned to an end user (but can be returned to an RFD).  So, if you have something you particularly care about, but are concerned that it is marginal on whether it'll pass HP Steel proof - you might lose it altogether.

If it's something likely to pass proof - such as a relatively modern semi that for whatever reason isn't HP proofed - then crack on.

Obviously, if an RFD buys a non-HP-proofed gun for subsequent resale, he will either factor in the cost of reproof, or if there's a risk it won't pass, factor in the cost of a new barrel or offer it for resale as-is, at a lower price

5 hours ago, Salopian said:

I have nine non steel proofed shotguns; i don’t know how much proofing costs, but with transfer costs added on I doubt there’d be much change from a 100 quid?
Saying that, I’ve proved most of them for steel shot myself. 👍

Edited by Scully

We have had to use steel for waterfowl for thirty years. Damaging barrels has Never been an issue. Possibly does not kill as well at long range but I don’t believe is conclusively proven.

Here in western Canada we can still use lead on grays and grouse.

The change was so long ago that most shooters have only shot steel for waterfowl.