Plastic wad cartridge ban

13 minutes ago, London Best said:

Beats me why plastic wads were ever invented. We already had biodegradable wad (vegetable felt). Whoever thought it was a good idea to litter everywhere with plastic wants stringingup.

Volume and price were the main reasons but most of all was performance.

10 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

Yet "most" clay grounds still allow the useage and some farmers too.

Rixton & Astley Shooting Club permits the use of plastic wad cartridges, but we prefer the use of fiber wad.

As the land that we shoot on was a former tip we have no restrictions included in our lease.

Whilst down range the plastic wads are unsightly most do seem to disintegrate over time, but we rarely come across a fiber wad, although I know that many members shoot them because I sell them the cartridges.

I do feel that when possible game cartridges should be fiber wad.

webber

Hi blackbird .We all use plastic one way or another and have done for years. I’ve shot on four farms that had clay pigeon shoots , quite big shoots over many years . The wads, and a few empty cases are still there and there must be tons of lead shot. It must be the same on game shoots with the lead shot. We now have bio cartridges and cases as well. Plastic wads will be banned. The school kids are taught how plastic is bad for the environment and how to be green. The kids know all about the environment I couldn’t even spell it when I was at school .

55 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Plastic once the tooling is made is cheapest. It also gives consistent results that are boringly the same excellence.

Plastic wads also maximise the manufactures profits as they need less powder in the cartridge and can run the loading machines faster.

should they be banned yes, but the consequence for steel shot is then costly.

15 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

Plastic once the tooling is made is cheapest. It also gives consistent results that are boringly the same excellence. It is why plastic corks are now favoured not only on cheap wines but also some high end price wines. 

When is a Cork not a Cork LOL it don't get any dafter, I thought the idea was to let it breathe but what do I know, back to wads I thought we had an alternative to plastic 

The problem with cork is it isn't in lower grades consistent. And any cork can carry TCA and if it does the wine is spoiled. As a wad in shotgun cartridges cork wads weren't that successful as driving wads. Eley used to use cork overshot wads in crimed closed plastic "waterproof" cartridges. But as a driving wad too inconsistent. 

Here's an interesting article about cork corks and plastic corks for wine:

https://winefolly.com/deep-dive/chemist-explains-corks-matter-storing-wine/