BBC News

wymberley

22 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Pushed for time just have enough to copy and paste this:

Most pheasants sold for food 'contain lead shot' - BBC News

Well now it's out in the BBC I'm sure it will be seized upon and a proper government ban won't be long coming never mind a voluntary transition....seen this coming a mile off really. They harp on about "toxic" lead but I don't remember hearing of anyone dying from lead poisoning from eating game meat, even over a protracted period of time. I think they are looking through the wrong end of the lens here

What it should have said was, that all pheasants and grouse placed in the food chain may contain elements of lead shot, as indeed it has done for the last two hundred years or so, ( and then because the Beeb extols its self proclaimed virtue of being impartial and balanced, could go on to state ) and in all that time there are no records of anyone having died of consuming toxic lead shot game, unlike that other toxic substance, alcohol. 🙂

Just a thought. 

58 minutes ago, dodgy dave said:

thousands of of the public are still drinking water through lead pipes. you would think they would look at that first, know one ever brings that up do they

Yep, millions of people still have lead mains pipe and I expect there's still a huge amount of lead solder in copper pipe. I was told this was fine unless the pipes are disturbed.

As for shot in game, it's a shame the BBC didn't bother to ask for scientific evidence to show how much of the lead in the game is absorbed once eaten. I gather it's virtually nil so there would be little or no risk in humans consuming game?

Edited by Windswept

1 hour ago, Rob85 said:

Well now it's out in the BBC I'm sure it will be seized upon and a proper government ban won't be long coming never mind a voluntary transition....seen this coming a mile off really. They harp on about "toxic" lead but I don't remember hearing of anyone dying from lead poisoning from eating game meat, even over a protracted period of time. I think they are looking through the wrong end of the lens here

You are spot on about the BBC 

Another half story with biased twist. Don't all supermarket foods go through a metal detector anyway? . . . . .Coincidence? That Avery and co bang on about Sainsburys selling game at mo? I wonder? Having there own tests done. Some of us have already questioned their pic put up of samples they say they purchased and sending to get analysed. They have take them out of original identifying packaging and put them individually in Sainsburys ziplock bags. Very scientific!  Not a smear campaign at all! No Sir!  . . . . We all Know regardless of there findings (even if they are really having it done) we know what they will be saying was found.       NB

Following recent press coverage about the amount of lead found in sold pheasants, BASC has complained to the BBC and some national newspapers about the biased nature of their coverage.

Quotes from BASC have been included in some articles but the overall portrayal of the shooting community has been unfair.

Nine UK organisations stated their position in February 2020. That position is as follows:

In consideration of wildlife, the environment and to ensure a market for the healthiest game products, at home and abroad, we wish to see an end to both lead and single-use plastics in ammunition used by those taking all live quarry with shotguns within five years. The shooting community must maintain its place at the forefront of wildlife conservation and protection. Sustainability in our practices is of utmost importance.

Many years ago, wetland restrictions demanded a move away from lead shot and we believe it is necessary to begin a further phased transition. Recently, there have been significant developments in the quality and availability of non-lead shotgun cartridges, and plastic cases can now be recycled. For the first time, biodegradable shot cups for steel shot, with the necessary ballistics to ensure lethality, are available. These welcome advances are continuing at an ever-quickening pace, in response to demand from a changing market. Such advances mean that, over the coming years, a complete transition is achievable.

We are jointly calling for our members to engage in this transition and work with us, the Gun Trade Association and the cartridge manufacturers to ensure that further viable alternatives are developed for every situation involving live quarry. This is an opportunity to take the initiative and ensure the reputation of the shooting community, as custodians of the countryside, is both maintained and enhanced.

https://basc.org.uk/a-joint-statement-on-the-future-of-shotgun-ammunition-for-live-quarry-shooting

This is a five year transition, not a one year solution. The logistics of moving over to sustainable ammunition, after generations of using lead shot, are substantial. Significant progress has been made, such as the manufacturers' development of new sustainable and biodegradable products, but it will take time for people to adapt.

A lead shot Q&A from the GWCT is outlined here:

https://www.gwct.org.uk/policy/briefings/lead-ammunition/

Im not really sure what you expected of the BBC, nor why it seems to have come as a surprise. 
To see someone dissecting a pheasant and finding lead shot gave the impression that it was shot with a banned substance, to a wider mostly ignorant ( of the facts ) public, especially as comparisons were made to that regarding wildfowl. 
It was indeed shoddy reporting, but I’m not really sure why you expected anything else. 
We lost the initiative a long time ago, and following last nights news programme even more damage has been done; it’s not like the BBC will acknowledge their error, and certainly not on the same platform, at the same time, with the same impact, as last nights piece. 🤷‍♂️

Still on the backfoot playing damage limitation as usual. Chip chip chip. 

Yep, they’ve all realised they won’t be able to ban shooting outright in a year or two, and cleverly worked out how to limit it bit by bit and make it seem so bad that eventually it will be banned.

I reckon within the next 20-30 years it could be limited to farmers and few others who can demonstrate dire need for it, and clays/target only. And even then it may become like pistol clubs where it has to be stored at the clay/target ground...

11 hours ago, southeastpete said:

Yep, they’ve all realised they won’t be able to ban shooting outright in a year or two, and cleverly worked out how to limit it bit by bit and make it seem so bad that eventually it will be banned.

I reckon within the next 20-30 years it could be limited to farmers and few others who can demonstrate dire need for it, and clays/target only. And even then it may become like pistol clubs where it has to be stored at the clay/target ground...

The is a fact there will come a time when you can't kill any thing unless your some licenced to the hilt pesty. Thankfully i wont be here to see it but my grand kids will miss out on proper country life

Hi Conor I think this article is not just about the lead pellets in game birds, it’s about the percentage of game birds with lead pellets in them. One year after a voluntary transition from not using lead ammunition one percent of the birds contained non lead pellets. That’s not much of a transition. As you say it’s also about the consideration for wildlife and the environment , five years ago seventy five percent of wildfowl purchased from game dealers where shot with lead pellets. Shooting people can say lead isn’t toxic until the cows come home ,but we have what we call non toxic shot. Steve Bloomfield says our members have to take time to try the alternatives and those alternatives have to be effective and humane. As Wildfowlers know alternative shot is effective and humane. Bio wads have been available for about twenty years, and are effective with non lead shot. If shooters insist alternative shot isn’t lethal and only lead is lethal then when lead is made illegal so will the alternative types of shot because they won’t be lethal. Plastic and lead are on the way out like it or not. We will need to get used to it.

Remember the RSPB were involved in/helped fund this! Cos it was gona go there way to the extreme and be promoted. As has been flagged up before they got committed anti with connections on board now and why Packham so keen to bandwagon it. Reading the report, it was hardly scientific. They or associates got game from random outlets of there choice and processed how they saw fit. Like to see the same done by GWCT or independent. Don't think figures would be so high. Interesting to that they found shot in ALL? the birds given how some of them had been processed? I have processed a lot of birds and don't find any shot in a good percentage.  . . . . RSPB and pheasants in BBC news at start of week, Greenpeace and fishing this lunch time. Not biased at all then! . . . . . .Lab meat for lunch anyone?    NB  

For God sake please don't let any of the Shooting Organisation get anywhere near this, they created this lash up on lead shot and there introducing of a volantuary ban. Every time these Organisation open there mouths we get closer and closer to a complete ban on shooting full stop. 

Nowt wrong with GWCT! Need more action rather than words! Their research and science good! There latest posts an interesting read and good info! Everyone should join get behind and support them if you really care about shooting and conservation! Lets move on with a bit of positive attitude. WJ and co have played their hand. More folk gov and orgs can see them for what they are. They come across as more desperate, and what followers they have seem more left-wing low info radical know nothings bleating a load of same ol drivel when prompted by their raptor obsessed anti shooting puppet masters. . . .Good to see GWCT involved in a new multi org project start up to save curlews. I hope they gona use targeted pest control.  Moorland monitors (Luke Steel, Rob Burnze) already trying to under mine it. Toys out of pram like a bunch of kids cos they not involved and it not fit with their agenda to get shooting stopped and land reform.    NB