Game priest brass components

Mickeydredd

I like the look of the first one, may make one myself like that. 
the photo shows some I have made and I turned the brass on my metal lathe. If you only have a wood lathe I would do some like the central ones. These are turned up with a hole down end and then lead shot added to get right weight then 24 bore cartridge end glued in. These are made from box wood so only a little added. This can all be done on wood lathe. The other item is a chamber brush handle again from box but rare wood to find

051A35B9-C752-4568-969D-A93208B76A05.jpeg

1 minute ago, mel b3 said:

My mate always used a 19mm combination spanner 😅.  

Orrr an 18650 based torch, works quite well. More likely to have that on you when out shooting - one less thing to carry.

To answer the OP’s question, if you do find a supplier be sat down when you read the prices for heavy bits of brass. I’d get yourself a metal lathe and get busy...

Just drill the end out of your wooden priest, melt some lead and pour it in.  I do drill a 1/8th hole through side to side before doing this and push a piece of brass wire/rod through and this then stops the lead slipping out if the wood shrinks or moves.   I have two or three similar for trouting and never had a complaint from the customers.

002.JPG

6 hours ago, ditchman said:

i used to use a short piece of 3 phase electric cable...............bit brutal but did the job

You're supposed to kill them, not torture them for information 🤣

As a kid with no money, I used a screwdriver (handle at the whacking end) before getting a proper priest.  These days, I bleed trout out by cutting the gills. I'm sure that would upset British sensibilities. 

1 minute ago, Houseplant said:

You're supposed to kill them, not torture them for information 🤣

As a kid with no money, I used a screwdriver (handle at the whacking end) before getting a proper priest.  These days, I bleed trout out by cutting the gills. I'm sure that would upset British sensibilities. 

is that bloody Halal food...?..........do you say a prayer as you do it ?

• 2 months later...
On 24/02/2021 at 10:45, Mickeydredd said:

Having recently purchased an old woodturner to mess about with during lockdown, my first effort was a game priest.  I'd like to have a go at improving my effort and make a couple for myself and the missus.  

Can anyone advise where I can purchase the brass components similar to in these pics?

Cheers

priest1.jpg

priest2.jpg

you can turn brass on a wood lathe  no problem  using a bowl scraper   or grind and old screwdriver / tool steel      into a smaller scraper with excellent results   free hand shaping and design   nout better      buy stock  brass bar and play   offer the tool up as timber and lift hand do get desired cut rate  if in doubt pm 

On 24/02/2021 at 22:10, Houseplant said:

These days, I bleed trout out by cutting the gills. I'm sure that would upset British sensibilities

Not me, I too bleed all my fish, even mackerel, much better taste and look of flesh and they calm down faster than when stunned.