Private sale RFD

TRINITY

You need to speak to the buyers RFD and ask him if he is happy to receive your gun that you are selling to Mr ***. The RFD should agree not to release the gun until the buyer has viewed and you have confirmed that payment has been received. RFD fee should be paid and agreed by the buyer.

Edited by bruno22rf

1 hour ago, bruno22rf said:

You need to speak to the buyers RFD and ask him if he is happy to receive your gun that you are selling to Mr ***. The RFD should agree not to release the gun until the buyer has viewed and you have confirmed that payment has been received. RFD fee should be paid and agreed by the buyer.

If you don’t get payment up front and the buyer doesn’t show at the rfd or declines the gun then you’re out of pocket for postage, at least in one direction and possibly two.  Depending on gun value that could be annoying or a chunk of the value of the gun. 

There’s always an element of trust with online transactions. I’ve done bank transfer and PayPal (friends and family). Don’t mention anything about guns in the transaction or paypal will cancel the payment, as their rules state it’s not allowed to be used to purchase firearms.

10 hours ago, hod said:

If you don’t get payment up front and the buyer doesn’t show at the rfd or declines the gun then you’re out of pocket for postage, at least in one direction and possibly two.  Depending on gun value that could be annoying or a chunk of the value of the gun. 

There’s always an element of trust with online transactions. I’ve done bank transfer and PayPal (friends and family). Don’t mention anything about guns in the transaction or paypal will cancel the payment, as their rules state it’s not allowed to be used to purchase firearms.

Your buyer makes the agreement with his RFD regarding RFD fees - you stand to lose around £30 for postage in total, as long as your gun is as you describe it then it is unlikely to be rejected. Shooters tend to be an honest bunch - put an Air Rifle up for sale Sunday before last and within hours a buyer had put £650 into my account having never seen the gun. I suggested that a holding deposit would be a better bet but he would not hear of it, I also said that the gun may be a heap of junk to which he replied "well that's my problem now isn't it cos I've paid for it" !!! 

3 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Your buyer makes the agreement with his RFD regarding RFD fees - you stand to lose around £30 for postage in total, as long as your gun is as you describe it then it is unlikely to be rejected. Shooters tend to be an honest bunch - put an Air Rifle up for sale Sunday before last and within hours a buyer had put £650 into my account having never seen the gun. I suggested that a holding deposit would be a better bet but he would not hear of it, I also said that the gun may be a heap of junk to which he replied "well that's my problem now isn't it cos I've paid for it" !!! 

I have done this several times and not once have I been unhappy with what I've received 

Yes there will be bad eggs out there, but thankfully I've not come across them yet and until that time I will continue to have faith in people

7 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Got to agree about it being a decent bunch on the whole.  And like any online transaction, you can gauge a seller’s trust from their history/standing, details and photos of the item etc.

When I have done it, several times, without ANY issues:

1. Buyer & yourself agree the transaction price, etc. and buyer lets you know the recipient RFD info.
2. Contact said RFD to confirm they are happy to pass the item to the buyer once received
3. Buyer sends you the payment and their SGC/FAC so you can fill in the table to show purchase of item
4. Mail the SGC/FAC back to the buyer via a tracked service, normally I use 1st Class for this
5. Notify local FLD by e-mail to let them know that the item is now sold, and details of this sale, so the item needs removing from your SGC/FAC
6. Mail the item that you just sold to the RFD, via the Post Office, using Royal Mail Special Delivery
7. Next day, check the tracking for the above & confirm with the receiving RFD that the package arrived ok
8. Check with buyer that they are happy with the item and their SGC/FAC was received intact, etc.

Little bit of advice people I learnt the hard way.

I brought a ferret finder finder off of preloved, seemed a very genuine man on the phone offered me to collect it but I was about 3 hours drive from me  so I said if I pay will you send it down. So I transferred £160 the day after boxing day rang him he said he was sending it the day after. Waited about a week nothing arrived so I thought I'd call him it came up number not recognised. So I lost £160. I send the account they give me the odd £1 every now and then with a reference saying scammer or a swear word hoping the bank may pick up on it and investigate them. Also I'm sure if you send through friends and family on PayPal your not covered if the item never arrives or anything because it's for friends and family. Just be careful people you can never tell. Being honest I have brought a couple of things on pigeon watch and every body seems to be nice honest people and all things have been how described and turned up. Just a little advice for people as I have 2 kids and lost my job just before christmas and my son got.into ferreting so managed to buy some cheep nets and carry box l, I collect £160 off of familly over christmas day and thought I'd be dad of the year and it turned back and kicked me in the boll@k$.

4 hours ago, TRINITY said:

Guys

I have just been checking and it seems some shops are not going RFD service during lockdown. The  ones I have contacted are only offering click and collect of their own products. Is this the general trend out there or are there still shops doing this service ?

Thanks

No my rfd is still doing it, as was the one down south.