Beware Buying Airguns from Online European Suppliers

webber

In my capacity as a RFD I was contacted by email by a gentleman who had ordered an air rifle from a website supplier based in the Netherlands.

He advised me that Border Force had taken charge of his parcel and advise him that the rifle needed to be sent to  RFD to affect a face to face transfer.

The gentleman asked if I would agree to accept the rifle and conduct the transfer; obviously agreed.

A series of emails followed as I suggested that I chronograph the rifle upon receipt to ensure that the rifle met UK regulations.

I have today received another email advising that the Dutch supplier has now advised that they have dispatched a European specification rifle.

Border Force have agreed to return the rifle to the supplier who have advised that in due course they will dispatch a UK specification rifle.

I've no idea with regards to the potential financial savings, if any; however it goes to show just how easy it is for someone to unwittingly fall onto the wrong side of the law.

webber

3 minutes ago, billytheghillie said:

Can someone answer this question?  If i buy a air rifle in England, do i need to give my name and address?  If not, whats to stop me doing this and taking rifle back to Scotland.

In a private sale no you don't.

From a dealer yes you do, and provide ID too.

Nothing to stop you taking it to Scotland except the knowledge that you would be breaking the law.

Edd