Building a shed/logstore.

harrycatcat1

My summer project is to replace an old 8 x 6 shed with a wood store attached to it. The shed is starting to rot and has a big hole in the back where my terrier chewed through whilst trying to get into the shed when hedgehogs were nesting in there. The lean to wood store has started leaking water as the felt needs replacing.

What I am proposing is a wooden structure 2.1m wide x 3.8m long x 2.1m high at the front with a flat roof sloping down to 2m high at the back. The roof would be covered with Firestone rubber sheet and guttering to take away the water.

The present shed is 12mm x 120mm shiplap and I dont suppose it's too bad but one of the "tongues" in one area has curled out presumably with the weather.

What would you clad the structure in?
Choices are tanillised:-

12mm x 120mm shiplap

17mm x 120mm shiplap

22mm x 120mm loglap

Or have you got another suggestion?

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, billytheghillie said:

Why bother with all that?  I went to my local farmers potato depot, picked up 2 of those big boxes that you see on trailers filled with potatoes , stood them on there side, and Hey presto  instant log store. they cost me £5 each. :good:

What about the shed bit though🤔

5 minutes ago, kennett said:

Personally I wouldn't "clad" the sides completely, as more air flow the better. Mine is made of pallets for the floor and the ends are pallet tops with the feet and base knocked off (looks smarter than it sounds 😂)

I was trying to make the shed and store out of similar materials,  I have a pallet log store now and its starting to look a mess.

I use feather edge fencing boards on the sheds I make  seems to work well and is cheap .u can paint it also to make it look nice  

Screenshot_20210224-213026_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210224-213151_Gallery.jpg

You can see the back of one painted grey and the gates I made to match the fencing in the same style  

You can see the back of one painted grey and the gates I made to match the fencing in the same style  

As said above ensure good air flow at the eves of the roof to reduce condensation and hence rot .

8 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

I use feather edge fencing boards on the sheds I make  seems to work well and is cheap .u can paint it also to make it look nice  

Screenshot_20210224-213026_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210224-213151_Gallery.jpg

As said above ensure good air flow at the eves of the roof to reduce condensation and hence rot .

That looks good 👍👍 kennett has got me thinking that I could clad the whole front and the end and back of the log store could be hit and miss panels for ventilation. 

One of my old mates used to say" 2 sheeps heads are better than one for working out problems"

That feather edged board would probably work out cheaper too.

So that shed is 3x2 treated timber studs .

With breather felt stapled to it .and then the ship lap screwed to it .it has galv band across it for wind bracing .

This is just a potting type shed. but if you want it more secure .use chip board on the inside of the studs makes it much harder to break into .

Screenshot_20210224-232914_Gallery.jpg

5 hours ago, Vince Green said:

At the old house when i looked into building a shed/workshop i found I could buy a good one ready made much cheaper than buying the materials and building one myself from scratch.

What I was going to do was to price it all up, once I've decided on materials,  then add 10% as there is always something that you have forgotten. 

Then check out what a ready built one would be price and quality wise 👍👍

Well that's put me into a quandary,  I've just had a price back for the wooden frame and cladding from the wood merchants and its £730 plus the rubber kit for the roof is £162 so £900 ish without anything that I've not quoted for screws, hinges etc.

I've just looked on fleebay and for a similar size steel shed its 360 quid delivered to my door and just needs putting together. Apparently it's got ventilation holes in and a base comes with it.

What do you think?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vidaXL-Garden-Shed-257x497x178cm-Metal-Green-Outdoor-Tool-Storage-House-Cabin-/223350351534?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

Edited yet again to say the link is a large one and more expensive my size is 360 ish

Edited by harrycatcat1
Add link

1 hour ago, harrycatcat1 said:

What do you think?

Keep getting quotes from different Timber merchants!

Yes you can buy one of these sheds for less than the cost of the materials.   The ratio is usually closer to 2:1 and not 3:1, but raw material prices have been pushed up recently.

But, the quality of these sheds is usually appalling.  I made the mistake of buying one, and needed to spend £10 just on screws and fixings so I could even assemble it properly.

Obviously your time is not free either, but I would still go down the build it yourself route.  You'll end up with a much better product.

28 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

The height is the problem at less than six foot at the peak - ok for a midget but you would end up with a crick in the neck.  FIL had one and it was a PIA so got binned.  Out of interest which timber merchant?

The first quote was Allen and Orr's but look at this one from Gregory's. I think that I would sooner build one than get a tin can.

Screenshot_20210305-112822_Outlook.jpg

22 minutes ago, markyboy07 said:

My friend bought a metal shed similar to that, it was very flimsy and fell apart during a storm in the first year of purchase.

To be honest I thought that they might not last the distance and that's made my mind up to build it in wood. 

Joking apart. I'm fortunate that I have lots of room and apart from the big store down in the wood I also have an old stable and a lean to up by the house.  I did look at one of those large chest type log stores to put by the back door but although a neat idea it was going to be an obstruction but if space available one or even two of those would work unless you really want a shed and there are a number of choices there.  I also have a large lean to in the yard which holds about five weeks worth of late afternoon/evening burning on a large Clearview and if you have a wall backing against the prevailing wind then a leanto is a good idea as it allows the air to get at the logs and dry them out.

The large log store in the,photo is stacked in yearly sections and there is about 6yrs supply there. As we remove a dry section it is filled with new logs and all used in a three to four year rotation.

1 hour ago, wishy735 said:

I don't understand what you are asking? A shed which you store wood in? Or a shed with a log store on the side?

The plan is a 3.8m long x 2.1m wide x 2.1 high wooden store with a partition. 2 metre ish for the shed bit the rest for wood storage. 

Ok, for the shed concrete base the exact size you want. For the log store use gravel to stand your logs on. Log store can be felting battern (2x1) with a osb roof felted. Shed pressure treated timber (4x4) for floor joists 3/4" osb on top. Framing 4x2 ( doesn't have to be pressure treated) 3/4 osb nailed on to Framing. (Helps to keep it square) when errectd. Tyvek house wrap, then felting battern (2x1) vertical. Then nail your choice of cladding onto those batterns. Shed good for 30 years plus.biggest tip I can give you is to make shed to fit your base, if you make your base oversize water will sit on it and cause problems even with pressure treated timber.