Building a shed/logstore.

harrycatcat1

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, harrycatcat1 said:

On my old shed where the front shiplap meets the side shiplap there is a square piece of wood from top to bottom about half inch to three quarters of an inch square.

Is this necessary or is it just for aesthetics? 🤔 

As said, not necessary, but,,,, it is actually necessary and aesthetic, as it sort of protects the ends of the cladding at the external corners from getting damaged and, as said, tidies things up at this junction.

You could use anything [doesn't have to be square] that is flush or just proud of the cladding.

I'll dig out some pictures of a shed/workshop that I built for my GF to show this and other things 😉

Screenshot_20210329-191003.png

Sorry for the quality of of the pictures/screenshots, but hopefully you can see some of the detail. The doorway has a protruding 'liner' as well. The frame is 100mm x 50mm on the long sides, and 75mm x 50mm on the ends. This was covered internally with 12mm ply to stiffen the entire structure and give fixing places wherever needed.

Hope this helps 🙂

Screenshot_20210329-190939.png

Screenshot_20210329-190948.png

Screenshot_20210329-190956.png

Screenshot_20210329-190931.png

Edited by JKD

2 hours ago, JKD said:

Screenshot_20210329-191003.png

Sorry for the quality of of the pictures/screenshots, but hopefully you can see some of the detail. The doorway has a protruding 'liner' as well. The frame is 100mm x 50mm on the long sides, and 75mm x 50mm on the ends. This was covered internally with 12mm ply to stiffen the entire structure and give fixing places wherever needed.

Hope this helps 🙂

Screenshot_20210329-190939.png

Screenshot_20210329-190948.png

Screenshot_20210329-190956.png

Screenshot_20210329-190931.png

Yes it does, it helps a lot, thank you 👍

• 2 weeks later...

Just a thought.  All my log stores have as much ventilation as possible. The floor is composed of pallets to let the air get underneath. The lapped boards on the sides are not backed with anything, to let it breathe.  Remember that sawn wood takes a year per inch thickness to dry, when stored in open sided sheds. Burning firewood that isn't dry leads to a lot of condensation going up the chimney, and not much heat produced.

5 hours ago, cardigun said:

Just a thought.  All my log stores have as much ventilation as possible. The floor is composed of pallets to let the air get underneath. The lapped boards on the sides are not backed with anything, to let it breathe.  Remember that sawn wood takes a year per inch thickness to dry, when stored in open sided sheds. Burning firewood that isn't dry leads to a lot of condensation going up the chimney, and not much heat produced.

Thanks for that, due to me underestimating the amount of wood required, my logstore will now have a pallet floor for ventilation 🤣

20210410_122220.jpg

20210410_122206.jpg

20210410_122201.jpg

8 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Surprised you didn't make use of the piece of space behind it.

Well its a good space to chuck stuff out of sight and secondly it's the neighbours garage and there is no guttering on it so I didn't want it too close so it soaks my shed.

I have dug a small trench lower than the concrete pad the shed bit sits on and will put some gravel in there for drainage 👍😉

2 hours ago, JDog said:

I am no structural engineer but it looks like you need bracing in that construction. 

It will be getting some "bracing" when the shed part is separated with osb from the logstore and some 2"x2" diagonals in the logstore area 👍👍

I wanted to get the roof on to square it all up first.

I see it's taking shape but,,,, please don't take offence, and forgive me for saying,,,, the timber in the walls, despite there not being enough, are positioned in the wrong plane. The wider part should be outside to inside. Also, there isn't any where near enough timber making up the base. It looks like you're on a tight budget and making things up as you go along, but building it as you are, you are going to be adding and moving timbers to allow the flooring and cladding to be fixed to.

I understand you aren't a 'tradesman', but a little bit of prior research and planning would have saved you altering things and possibly getting frustrated.

I mean no offence and take no delight in correcting what you have done and slaved over, I just like to see things done to save ongoing amendments 🙂

I've said before, that if I was closer I would gladly pay you a visit to help out directly 😉

2 hours ago, JKD said:

I see it's taking shape but,,,, please don't take offence, and forgive me for saying,,,, the timber in the walls, despite there not being enough, are positioned in the wrong plane. The wider part should be outside to inside. Also, there isn't any where near enough timber making up the base. It looks like you're on a tight budget and making things up as you go along, but building it as you are, you are going to be adding and moving timbers to allow the flooring and cladding to be fixed to.

I understand you aren't a 'tradesman', but a little bit of prior research and planning would have saved you altering things and possibly getting frustrated.

I mean no offence and take no delight in correcting what you have done and slaved over, I just like to see things done to save ongoing amendments 🙂

I've said before, that if I was closer I would gladly pay you a visit to help out directly 😉

Firstly I do not take offence my skin is too thick for that 🤣

The 3" x 2" at the front is facing out apart from the corner piece which is facing outward towards the garage.

The structure is a shed/log/wood store. The shed part will have flooring but the woodstore is not having flooring as such it will have a wooden pallet floor for ventilation. 

I need to fetch some more 8' x 4' osb in my car to partition off the shed from the wood store.

I appreciate that it is not perfect but it will be good enough for the purposes it will be put to.

Saying that I thank you for your expertise and the comments that you have made.

Edited to say that I hope you continue to comment through the build.

Edited by harrycatcat1

2 hours ago, JKD said:

23 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

The 3" x 2" at the front is facing out apart from the corner piece which is facing outward towards the garage.

The structure is a shed/log/wood store. The shed part will have flooring but the woodstore is not having flooring as such it will have a wooden pallet floor for ventilation. 

I need to fetch some more 8' x 4' osb in my car to partition off the shed from the wood store.

I appreciate that it is not perfect but it will be good enough for the purposes it will be put to.

there is not much i like in life ..............but i do like curtesy and good manners...........these 2 posts have an abundance of this..:good:

17 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Phew,,,, I thought I'd get ripped into for being helpful and honest 😌 Thank you for accepting my 'help' 🙂

I also wasn't saying that it wasn't perfect, just not an ideal way to construct a shed, of any size or use. Perfection is hard to achieve,,,, the end result is what is important, and that you are happy with it 👍

And yes, I will keep commenting 😉 ATVB

2 minutes ago, JKD said:

Phew,,,, I thought I'd get ripped into for being helpful and honest 😌 Thank you for accepting my 'help' 🙂

I also wasn't saying that it wasn't perfect, just not an ideal way to construct a shed, of any size or use. Perfection is hard to achieve,,,, the end result is what is important, and that you are happy with it 👍

And yes, I will keep commenting 😉 ATVB

👍👍

5 minutes ago, ditchman said:

there is not much i like in life ..............but i do like curtesy and good manners...........these 2 posts have an abundance of this..:good:

👍👍