harrycatcat1

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7 months later...
12 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Now THAT is a log store. 

Where can you get those metal sheets to make the sides? 

Sorry Lloyd, missed this one until now....  All of the sheets on the log store roof where saved from when a farmer friend took down an old dutch barn. Thos sheets where the side cladding.  My neighbour next door was having a clear out  and wanted rid of some profile shets and I beat the scrap man to them.   Always lots of sheets for sale on ebay but I'm a tight o0ld whatsit and go on the scrounge, hate to see good stuff wasted.

• 4 weeks later...

Blast from the past.

More advice required please.

The log/wood store was filled to the "gunnels" with wood and the door was closed. There was the mistake, I didn't deliberately put wet wood in but I don't think it was all 100% bone dry. So the mistake was filling it up to the top and no ventilation.  A couple of weeks ago I pegged the door open as I had noticed that condensation was forming on the inside of the store. I have been busy trying to use the wood close to the top but I need to cure the problem of the condensation forming.

Screenshot_20220118-105955_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220118-105946_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220118-105937_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220118-105928_Gallery.jpg

26 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Yes I understand about more ventilation but even with the door wide open it's dripping from the osb board.

I was thinking of putting insulation between 4" x 2" and overboarding it with hard board so that condensation doesn't have a cold surface to form on 🤔

Cut some vents, allow air to move, it will take the moisture with it.

You definitely need much more ventilation in there , even if it's just a few  1" holes in the shed walls.

A top tip for you , is to process your wood ( cut to size) as you put it into your wood store . If you don't,  you'll end up outside on a freezing cold , raining , snowing , day , having to process your wood when you need it most . I've learned this from my own bitter experience 👍.

6 hours ago, mel b3 said:

You definitely need much more ventilation in there , even if it's just a few  1" holes in the shed walls.

A top tip for you , is to process your wood ( cut to size) as you put it into your wood store . If you don't,  you'll end up outside on a freezing cold , raining , snowing , day , having to process your wood when you need it most . I've learned this from my own bitter experience 👍.

To be honest I was just thinking of nipping to wilkos tomorrow to get some white plastic vents and fitting those on the back of the shed and leaving the door pegged open. Surely that should be enough. There are pallets on the floor but I think it's because I've filled it to the top and closed the door so the ventilation was poor and condensation formed on the ceiling of the shed. I think in the summer I might put insulation in the roof and overboard it so the condensation won't form on the ceiling. I take your comments on board about cutting to size but the majority of wood in there will fit straight on the stove 👍👍

The plastic vents will definitely help , and to be honest , you probably won't need insulation when the ventilation is sorted.

I'm lucky with my wood store,  it's wide open , and between mine and the neighbours house , so it's like a wind tunnel . I can fill it with oak or cherry in the spring, and it's ready to burn by winter.

Really an open fronted store is the only way to go.  I think if you look at the photos I put up of my big store it is open fronted.  I have just moved about 5 tons up closer to the house for next winter and it is dry enough to burn now. Any enclosed space with damp/wet stuff in it will produce condenssation.  This was taken whilst we constructed the store down in the wood.  The logs stay in there for three years prior to be moved up to an old stable by the house or an open leanto in the yard. They are by then very dry.   I would leave the door open. Hang a piece of tarpaulin across the door if necessary but at least the air can get in there. I honestly think your plastic ventilators are going to be a waste of money.

005.jpg

HCC don't worry about the condensation, at least it means the moisture is leaving the wood.

Do you have room for a second log store?

Put up a lean to version.

Put the new wood under cover in there.

Move it after it has lost most of the moisture. 

Meanwhile sort out the existing store, pack it better to allow better air movement.

Okay a "headlining" will help.

First empty the wood store in order to fit the "headlining"

Then replace all of the wood in a more sympathetic way.

Wettest at the bottom.

Regular sized groupings.

Then you will need to insulate the walls.

Airflow is the way forward, really it is as simple as that!