Building a shed/logstore.

harrycatcat1

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Okay a "headlining" will help.

First empty the wood store in order to fit the "headlining"

Then replace all of the wood in a more sympathetic way.

Wettest at the bottom.

Regular sized groupings.

Then you will need to insulate the walls.

Airflow is the way forward, really it is as simple as that!

I hear what you are saying but there is very little if any of the wood that I could identify as being "wet". When I filled the shed it was summer and what I put in was bone dry. I could go in there now and pick any of the cut wood and put it straight on the fire 🔥 and it would burn well. I have tried to burn wet wood in the past but learnt my lesson as it just clogs the liner up with moisture and the fire won't draw. I haven’t deliberately put wet wood in.

My main concern is the condensation affecting the integrity of the osb board. It didn't matter in the land rover as it was aluminium, until it dripped down your neck that is.

It's a conundrum 🤔

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The cold temperature outside will pull any moisture to the inside of the surface.

I accept the wood was dry when you loaded it in the summer.

As I keep repeating, airflow, movement of air is what you need.

Work out you predominant wind direction, cut some 1" holes on the side of the store that faces the wind and the lee side a few inches down from the roof.

If necessary put a drip stop over the holes.

4 hours ago, Yellow Bear said:

May be a silly question but is there bare earth under the pallets on the floor.  Water could be running in here.  

Maybe in the better weather put a membrane under.  Then Ventilate.  

There is bare earth under the pallets, I do have guttering at the back of the shed but I accept rain could still get under👍

5 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

The cold temperature outside will pull any moisture to the inside of the surface.

I accept the wood was dry when you loaded it in the summer.

As I keep repeating, airflow, movement of air is what you need.

Work out you predominant wind direction, cut some 1" holes on the side of the store that faces the wind and the lee side a few inches down from the roof.

If necessary put a drip stop over the holes.

Yes more ventilation 👍

I cannot remember. Didi you put a floor in the shed but even if you did the moisture could be coming up from the soil beneath. Cladding and lining is about the only way you can go and good ventilation.  From what I see, your timber is mostly old pallet wood etc.  This should not be likely to absorb any condensation but as TC says stack it tidy leaving spaces every now and then so air can circulate. My main store near the house is an old stone floor direct onto soil stable with an exposed tile roof.

I store about 3-4 tons of dry logs in there each year and they stay very dry and no condensation.   These will be logs transferred up from the open front store shown in the wood having been down there for three or more years.

On 23/01/2022 at 11:45, BRYAN3 said:

Just an idea, if I may.

Perhaps remove some cladding between vertical studs x2 from 12 inches from ground up to eaves height.

Then use removed cladding as louvres .  Put wire mesh inside to stop birds getting in and nesting.

Sorry I have only just seen your post thanks for your advice, I might yet build another separate wood store with open sides.

On 23/01/2022 at 13:47, Walker570 said:

I cannot remember. Didi you put a floor in the shed but even if you did the moisture could be coming up from the soil beneath. Cladding and lining is about the only way you can go and good ventilation.  From what I see, your timber is mostly old pallet wood etc.  This should not be likely to absorb any condensation but as TC says stack it tidy leaving spaces every now and then so air can circulate. My main store near the house is an old stone floor direct onto soil stable with an exposed tile roof.

I store about 3-4 tons of dry logs in there each year and they stay very dry and no condensation.   These will be logs transferred up from the open front store shown in the wood having been down there for three or more years.

Sorry I have only just seen your post thanks for your advice, I might yet build another separate wood store with open sides.

• 1 year later...
On 30/01/2022 at 18:36, harrycatcat1 said:

👍

As a continuation to this thread I now need to insulate the underside of the roof as this winter the door has been fully open and the ceiling has been dripping with water.

I am thinking of getting some of this below and "sandwich" it with some plywood. I think when frost forms on the rubber roof any excess water in the air forms on the underside of the ceiling like the old landrovers. My question is,  are there any better/cheaper solutions please? 🤔

1721170323_Screenshot_20230321_142519_SamsungInternet.jpg.99a7ab9314c94ffb52280c7f875bbb56.jpg

9 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

As a continuation to this thread I now need to insulate the underside of the roof as this winter the door has been fully open and the ceiling has been dripping with water.

I am thinking of getting some of this below and "sandwich" it with some plywood. I think when frost forms on the rubber roof any excess water in the air forms on the underside of the ceiling like the old landrovers. My question is,  are there any better/cheaper solutions please? 🤔

1721170323_Screenshot_20230321_142519_SamsungInternet.jpg.99a7ab9314c94ffb52280c7f875bbb56.jpg

Should do the job but have a look at buildbase up off Newbold road,   I got a similar product in slabs (about 1m x 500mm) easier to handle and cheaper.  Use spraytac to hold it up while you fit cladding.

Or get foil backed and hold up with chicken wire.

4 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

Should do the job but have a look at buildbase up off Newbold road,   I got a similar product in slabs (about 1m x 500mm) easier to handle and cheaper.  Use spraytac to hold it up while you fit cladding.

Or get foil backed and hold up with chicken wire.

Thank you I will have a look there 😉👍

On 30/01/2022 at 17:59, TIGHTCHOKE said:

It will hold some moisture in the bag and slowly release it. Open stacks is better.

Stack logs in an open sided leanto where the air and sun can get at it but prevailing wind will not blow rain in.

I wouldn't store in 'plastic' bags as the air cannot circulate.  I store upwards of seven years supply at any one tme and the logs I am burning at the moment are super dry and I only have to empty the bottom tray of fine grey dust on the Clearview about once a week.  We normally burn from 4pm to 10 om every night. This is a photo of our building and extention to our 'leanto' log store which I hope gives you some idea of how to store and dry logs for burning. I appreciate some or most are not as fortunate to ahve the space we have but you can down size no problem.  Keep them off the deck and I put them on old pallets which allows air to flow underneath.  Hope this helps as nothing beats sitting infront of a nice log fire.

005.jpg

57 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Stack logs in an open sided leanto where the air and sun can get at it but prevailing wind will not blow rain in.

I wouldn't store in 'plastic' bags as the air cannot circulate.  I store upwards of seven years supply at any one tme and the logs I am burning at the moment are super dry and I only have to empty the bottom tray of fine grey dust on the Clearview about once a week.  We normally burn from 4pm to 10 om every night. This is a photo of our building and extention to our 'leanto' log store which I hope gives you some idea of how to store and dry logs for burning. I appreciate some or most are not as fortunate to ahve the space we have but you can down size no problem.  Keep them off the deck and I put them on old pallets which allows air to flow underneath.  Hope this helps as nothing beats sitting infront of a nice log fire.

005.jpg

I don't store in plastic bags they are builders bags, admittedly they may be made of plastic but are "breathable".

The bottom of my store is made of pallets so the air can circulate and the door was left open all winter. I am confident that once the roof is insulated everything will be OK.  

The only reason for the insulation is that condensation is forming on the underside of the roof and the osb board is getting wet.

I have not had any wet wood in there 👍

Sounds good:good:  Once our logs have been stored three years in those outside leantoos then each year we transfer sufficient to an old stable where they are kept prior to burning.  We have a small leantoo in the yard also where we store that winters burning.  Tin rooves are notorious for condensation so good idea to put in a lining.