Squirrel pop up hides

Ferret664

When using pop up hides to shoot over squirrel feeders do people find it better to set it up that morning or set it up a day or 2 before ? Do squirrels really take much notice? At the moment I just shoot them from highseats which I set feeders q up from 20 yards away but have other places I don't have highseats but have plenty of squirrels so want to set up feeders and wondering if they're a good thing to use ?  ¹

Almost all of my feeders have permenent hides either from pallets or IBC containers.  One estate I go to is criss crossed with rides and I can just drive down and shoot out of the Landie passenger window.   They do not not seem to take any notice of the vehicle, in fact have had one or two appear from underneath.  I do have a TeePee pop up which is excellent but rarely use it. When I have I just set it up sit inside and drink coffee for 30 mins before the customers usually arrive.  I have found that if I walk into a hide in daylight then it can be an hour before something turns up, there again I have had one on the flip topchewing peanuts before I poured my first cup. 

If the situation allows thenput in or build a permanent hide, makes it so easy to just slide in and settle down.  Put a pop up in the night before here and it would be gone by morning.

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, not one with a built in seat 👎 

How come?.

35 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Almost all of my feeders have permenent hides either from pallets or IBC containers.  One estate I go to is criss crossed with rides and I can just drive down and shoot out of the Landie passenger window.   They do not not seem to take any notice of the vehicle, in fact have had one or two appear from underneath.  I do have a TeePee pop up which is excellent but rarely use it. When I have I just set it up sit inside and drink coffee for 30 mins before the customers usually arrive.  I have found that if I walk into a hide in daylight then it can be an hour before something turns up, there again I have had one on the flip topchewing peanuts before I poured my first cup. 

If the situation allows thenput in or build a permanent hide, makes it so easy to just slide in and settle down.  Put a pop up in the night before here and it would be gone by morning.

These woods are a long walk so was thinking a pop up hide would be best . I can get a vehicle to it when dry so guess I could put a pallet hide up 🤔 just wanted something light I could move around when I wanted to move feeders 

10 minutes ago, Ferret664 said:

How come?.

These woods are a long walk so was thinking a pop up hide would be best . I can get a vehicle to it when dry so guess I could put a pallet hide up 🤔 just wanted something light I could move around when I wanted to move feeders 

Hello, I bought a pop up years ago with combined seat and what a faff to erect and get in an out, 🙄

59 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, I bought a pop up years ago with combined seat and what a faff to erect and get in an out, 🙄

I think a tall pop up  fishing bivvy would be better and use own seat, a piece of camo net fitted on front opening , 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

2 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Something else to carry.  There is usually a spot in a wood and plenty of natural stuff laying about to built a blind as bruno says.  I have even just sat under a holly bush and trimmed sufficient out to get a shot through. Then all I needed was a folding seat and the ability to sit absolutely still for a couple of hours.  I have had squirrels come down a tree very close to me in those circumstances and scream alarm but stay long enough for the reticle to settle.  Camo clothing or better still a ghillie suit.

I must admit I am now of the age where a nice comfortable plastic garden chair and a cushion are far superior plus a shelf for my coffee mug and bikkies.

Mice uses a fishing umbrella which seems to work well adding a bit of camo netting.

I have one of the NightHawk pop up hides with a seat in it. On Wednesday I set up on the feeder at 06:50 and had three dead squirrels on the ground by 08:40. The squirrels weren’t bothered by the sight of it they were to busy eating. The hide is reasonably comfortable and very easy to carry from my car to where my feeder is located in the wood. You need to use it a few times to get comfortable with it. 

I cant leave it in the wood as it would be gone within 24 hours.