Deceased shotgun owner

roadkill

After some advice on the following. 

Just recieved a call of a work mate who's father has just past away and he has a few shotguns.  She has asked if I would put them on my ticket and store them until they decided what to do with them later down the line.. 

As she is a non licence holder how do we go about the process of adding them to mine?

Jamie 

33 minutes ago, roadkill said:

As she is a non licence holder how do we go about the process of adding them to mine?

Talk to firearms licencing, they will advise best.

There is the sec 7 route, or they might just oversee an exchange onto your ticket, either way they need to be informed ASAP.

22 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Could well be out of order here, so just a tentative heads up. You have an unknown quantity (to us) of shotguns, your work mate also now has some - how many is a few? - and if you were in Devon I'd probably be hearing the 'alarm' word.

Not the way I read it ?

I would assume they are still safely in the cabinet, to which she may or may not 'now' know the location of the keys.
Friend of mine recently passed, sec 1 and 2 guns were held , and the FEO arranged for a relative nominated RFD to receive them for selling on, they were collected and transported by a friend who possessed firearms himself , but I dont believe that is a pre requisite.
All above board and proper.

When a friend of mine died he had already told his daughter that I was to handle the sale of his shotguns. She ‘gave’ them to me and signed my certificate, as instructed by her force’s FLO. She had no shotgun certificate herself. There were no problems at all. 
I should add that perhaps it helped that she was a serving police officer.

29 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Talk to firearms licencing, they will advise best.

There is the sec 7 route, or they might just oversee an exchange onto your ticket, either way they need to be informed ASAP.

Not the way I read it ?

I would assume they are still safely in the cabinet, to which she may or may not 'now' know the location of the keys.
Friend of mine recently passed, sec 1 and 2 guns were held , and the FEO arranged for a relative nominated RFD to receive them for selling on, they were collected and transported by a friend who possessed firearms himself , but I dont believe that is a pre requisite.
All above board and proper.

"She has asked if I would put them on my ticket and store them"

As I read it, that means roadkill will be adding them to the ones he already owns and stores on his property. If that is wrong, then, yep, I'm out of order; but if I'm right then in all probability down here and unless they can be persuaded that this is a temporary - unlikely currently - measure, I would, as previously, be hearing that word.

5 minutes ago, wymberley said:

"She has asked if I would put them on my ticket and store them"

As I read it, that means roadkill will be adding them to the ones he already owns and stores on his property.

As long as firearms OK it, its perfectly normal, the fact that she is not an SGC holder is the only issue, but firearms normally overlook this when there is a bereavement .
Depending on force area , they sometimes issue a sec 7, but in this case , where she is not selling them herself, there really is no point.

As long as roadkill has room, and there are no 'limits' issues , its all good.

As I understand it, Only the Executors to the estate can decide what is going to happen to the guns. They should inform the licensing authority that issued the SGC and apply for a temporary permit Sn 7 Firearms Act 1968. Poss 6 mth cert to give time for decisions on what to do with shotguns

Ask the FLO
normaly they are happy to get them out of the house and into safe storage 

note each force has a different way of dealing with this!! 

also remember that if you’re taking them into free storage you will need a letter of consent to sell or dispose of them from the executor of the estate and possibly a valuation for probate 

Cheers all, I will contact my feo, bonus is we're under the same force.  I have no interest in anymore guns but am happy for them to stay at mine for how ever long she needs as this was a very unexpected death and as we can all imagine,  she must have a million issues before it comes to what is going to happen  with them. 

No alarm bells need to be ringing

Jamie 

21 minutes ago, roadkill said:

Cheers all, I will contact my feo, bonus is we're under the same force.  I have no interest in anymore guns but am happy for them to stay at mine for how ever long she needs as this was a very unexpected death and as we can all imagine,  she must have a million issues before it comes to what is going to happen  with them. 

No alarm bells need to be ringing

Jamie 

You're lucky in Leics, then. Here if you have 6 or more the FEO will be asking you about your alarm system.

5 minutes ago, wymberley said:

You're lucky in Leics, then. Here if you have 6 or more the FEO will be asking you about your alarm system.

Not to sidetrack....but too many FEO's are ignorant of the wording re. alarms from the Home Office guidance - as this states alarms are not compulsory but one of several measures to be considered where a number of guns are held.
Insistence that an alarm "is required by law" is utter BS & likely down more to office politics & local force rules

5 hours ago, saddler said:

Not to sidetrack....but too many FEO's are ignorant of the wording re. alarms from the Home Office guidance - as this states alarms are not compulsory but one of several measures to be considered where a number of guns are held.
Insistence that an alarm "is required by law" is utter BS & likely down more to office politics & local force rules

100% correct, and before you know it is just accepted and believed

• 1 month later...
On 25/02/2021 at 15:55, Bobba said:

As I understand it, Only the Executors to the estate can decide what is going to happen to the guns. They should inform the licensing authority that issued the SGC and apply for a temporary permit Sn 7 Firearms Act 1968. Poss 6 mth cert to give time for decisions on what to do with shotguns

This. They will have a value. And if you accept them at who's risk will that be? It's a can of worms. The s7 route is best. If it was "family" I'd advise different. It's not. It's the father of a workmate.

I'd let it be.

You might end up with the things for months with all the possible recriminations that they weren't in XXX condition when they were passed to you and if they were actually damaged or, God forbid, stolen then who'll be presented with the bill for that? 

Simple answer is to tell the truth that additional weapons will cause space problems in your cabinet (least of your worries) and may also...also the truth...raise your "risk" tier and security required to a higher level. Let it be.

All aggro and for what? Family and "blood" is different. These are the shotguns of neither kith nor kin.

I've been there..once...a rattly Webley bolt action .410 for a cousin. And of course they expect you to sell it and expect you to get what they've seen in shops and etc. is the "top whack" retail price. And then still not happy. It is a can of worms. 

Edited by enfieldspares