Intercepting sear ?

Velocette

Can anyone confirm that this Baikal IZH54 action has an intercepting sear safety system please ?  Some say that it is but not having seen one before I'm in no position to judge. I still cannot take possession of my gun so this image taken from a Russian owners handbook is the best view i can find at the moment.

IZH54 action image.jpg

I'd say no it hasn't. Usually its a bar the will be quite long that will "catch" the hammer if the bent breaks. It works by being lifted at the rear by the triggers so that the front end that does the "catch" seesaws down out of the way when the trigger is pulled to fire the gun. I can't seen such in the diagram. Sometimes a giveaway clue is a pin (aka screw) in (either side of) the side of the action that is in fact the pivot to this seesaw.

Edited by enfieldspares

Thanks for the clarification. Its a subject that crops up from time to time when discussing the IZH54 but with little certainty one way or the other. The image above is in fact from the 1954 to 1958 version without the disc set strikers and rebounding hammers . Mine is the later, early 60's type and as soon as it arrives I'll open it up and photograph the innards for all to enjoy.

There is some information here https://huntsfish.com/page16.html, but the translation to English is a little suspect - e.g. "When moving the lever of constipation guard automatically locks the trigger and sear hooks ("fuse")."

The quote above suggests that the safety bolts both the triggers and the sears.  This is also done on a few Purdeys and the AyA Senior model (both sidelocks) and is instead of the more common 'intercepting safety' used on sidelocks.

Edited by JohnfromUK

Just now, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, go on a web site called huntsfish.com there is a parts diagram of the IZH 54 , that may help your question , ah John beat me to it 🤔😁

Sorry about that!  The English there had me enthralled!  I have since added (edited on) a few of my own thoughts as a result of reading it more carefully.

17 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Sorry about that!  The English there had me enthralled!  I have since added (edited on) a few of my own thoughts as a result of reading it more carefully.

Hello, no worry John 👍😁, part number 42 looks interesting, Engine guard ? 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Thanks for that, I mentioned that particular site earlier in the year and its a gem. The language is a delight but ambiguous and feeds the story that there may be some type of "intercepting sear" in there somewhere. Its but a small backwater in the scheme of things but fascinating nevertheless.

Thanks for that insight. As you say, its different to the IJ56 type action which is the one normally seen which has Baikal's own  design action. If you see an IJ26 Baikal SxS advertised its a very similar Anson and Deeley action. The way to tell is that the section where the stock abuts the action is straight as opposed to the curved junction of the IJ56 or the newer IJ43 ? These guns are about and are always a bargain price. On Gunstar at the moment there is a Baikal SxS for sale which is sparsely described as a model 54. There are no pictures but I'll bet its a sleeper and is an IZH54 for little money.