How do people lug all there gear?

Paulem

• 3 weeks later...

Hi sitsinhedges I’ve used this for 15years it does the job and is very quiet. As you can see it goes into my berlingo van. Charge it up when I get home and ready to use again. It’s great for shooting rabbits at night and will carry them back to the van. The maximum user weight is 40stone ,l bought it from a large gentleman from Blackpool , I weigh about 10stone and it doesn’t struggle. It’s very good for a hide just reverse into the undergrowth and away you go in comfort. I have more photos of it, l will ask the kids to put them on. 

D7954C8C-322D-464E-AFB7-1D3B8D28FAF9.png

Another photo 

DD005BFD-EB9D-4E9D-8FA2-72B9D30EC3D2.png

Hi all, in my opinion, once the ground gets even slightly bumpy/muddy, pulling is a lot easier than pushing. I bought one of these a few weeks ago and have only used it once but it seems to work perfectly well when i travel light  but to be honest its a bit small for  when i take a full kit of about 20 deeks in a bag, 2 camo nets ,hide poles,  2 bouncers, whirly &  seat box. I have to carry my gun over my shoulder.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201672537818

Maybe i should have bought a bigger one in the first place.

i still use 6 shell decoys as you shoot fill the pattern and remove plastic decoys     may use a floater on peas    i travel light and shoot where they want to be      rather than your chosen spot trying to draw them in      not the same for everybody    some have to haul from the farmyard   to the spot        a wheel barrow works for mi mate   

• 4 weeks later...

If you read through the posts in this thread there sems to be three modes. 1. Drive to the point. 2 use some sort of barrow/cart  and 3 to carry the stuff.  I always found that the place the pigeon wanted to feed and near a flight line was the other side of a thirty acre field that I  couldn't drive to.  I did consider making a single wheel pole cart but never got round to it.  How the hell do you push or drag barrows through a standing crop.?  My kit consisted a 20ltr plastic drum which doubled as a seat.  This held two  6x4 nets,  4 hazel sticks for the net, a mechanical string operated flapper, 6 semi full bodied decoys which nested inside one another, a pack or about 8 half shells.  That was carried by one hand.  On  my back I had a small rucksack which carried about 100 cartridges, a lightweight rain Mac,  food for me and a bit for the dog, water for us and a small bowl for the dog,  small first aid kit and a roll of sticky tape, (on two occasions I had to repair the dog!  1 ripped ear ,barbed wire and a skin tear on back leg.? Muttley impacted something that tore her leg open.)   I generally took the 20 bore because it and the ammo were lighter. Some times I  carried this in a slip on the shoulder but sometimes I  carried it it the other hand.  Several times I shot down a bird that flew from a tree or hedge as I went along one handed.  This was good so that it could be put on the flapper as soon as I got to where I wanted to set up.  I found that after fighting through standing crops along  wheel tracks and bringing back any shot birds and any kit on a hot summers day I was well worn and slept well that night. 

• 10 months later...
6 hours ago, Rim Fire said:

i just drive to the spot unload then drive off the field 

This is not always possible if a crop have just been planted , or growing , this day and age the gear can weigh a lot less than the heavy gear of yesteryear , and most able body men can carry the minimum of gear to there chosen spot , if you need to take all the gizmo's then you would have to think about a barrow , or a 40 foot trailer with some of the gear decoyers put out nowadays .

9 hours ago, marsh man said:

This is not always possible if a crop have just been planted , or growing , this day and age the gear can weigh a lot less than the heavy gear of yesteryear , and most able body men can carry the minimum of gear to there chosen spot , if you need to take all the gizmo's then you would have to think about a barrow , or a 40 foot trailer with some of the gear decoyers put out nowadays .

I have always been allowed to drive around the headland of a field as they leave a strip about 2 mtrs wide 

3 hours ago, Rim Fire said:

I have always been allowed to drive around the headland of a field as they leave a strip about 2 mtrs wide 

At one time we had strips around the headlands of 6 mtrs when the land owners were getting a good subsidy and then it was reduced to 3 mtrs , even on these strips we were advised to keep off as it was part of the subsidy agreement , now apart from the odd access strip of land the fields are now up hard against the hedgerows , no doubt the land owners are getting more by farming it than by a subsidy if they left it .

There are odd times when we can drive down the tram lines, but if a crop is in the field then I am afraid it is a case of shanks pony .