Gamebird releasing consultation

Conor O'Gorman

Defra consultation on a 2021 gamebird releasing general licence for European protected sites

Defra is consulting on a proposed interim 2021 general licence for the release of common pheasants and red-legged partridges on Special Areas of Conservation (SACs) and Special Protection Areas (SPAs) and within a 500m buffer zone around them in England.

The consultation ends on 15 March.

Background Information

The consultation follows a Defra-led review into gamebird release, part of this review included an independent report which was jointly commissioned by BASC and Natural England.

As the review was underway, Wild Justice claimed the Government was in breach of the law by allowing the release of gamebirds on European Protected Sites (SACs and SPAs) if they had not conducted assessments to show that there would be no risk of damage to protected sites.

Wild Justice unsuccessfully asked the Environment Secretary to halt the release of pheasants and red-leg partridges on these sites and surrounding land within 5km. They issued a legal challenge which was halted following the Environment Secretary’s proposal to introduce an interim licensing regime whilst additional information is gathered, and assessments made.

BASC has called the interim licensing proposal ‘unnecessary’ and ‘over precautionary’ for those who shoot in or within 500m of the protected sites listed.

The Consultation

Subject to the consultation process Defra intend to amend the law for a fixed term of three years. This will mean during this period a licence to release of pheasants and red legged partridges on and within 500m of a number European protected sites would be required.

They intend the process to be a general licence, such as is used to control certain bird species. This means the user will not need to apply for a licence but will have to abide by the conditions within the licence.

It is proposed that the general licence would include conditions relating to stocking density within release pens.

In addition, the proposal stipulates a level of recording will be required for those using the general licence. For anyone who wants to ‘act’ outside of the general licence on these sites there will be provision to apply for an individual licence. Release outside of these areas will remain unaffected by this proposal.

Defra intend to introduce the interim general licensing process for the 2021 season. The consultation is already behind schedule, as the period for gamebird release in 2021 is fast approaching. BASC has already made representation with Defra to withdraw the process until next year.

BASC action

Following representation from BASC and other shooting organisations the proposal has been focused predominantly on the use of general licences. Only in a small number of cases will an individual licences have to be applied for.

BASC has together with other shooting organisations been lobbying Defra and we continue to make it clear that this proposal risks disrupting legal shooting.

BASC is currently undertaking a detailed review of the consultation prior to responding and taking the necessary action.

Once our consultation response is finalised in the coming days, BASC will be asking those impacted by the decision, especially those who shoot on protected areas, to respond.

For the latest updates see:

https://basc.org.uk/gamebird-releasing-consultation/

Edited by Conor O'Gorman

The consultation ends on 15 March, so if you release gamebirds on or near a Special Area of Conservation (SAC) or Special Protection Area (SPA) in England please do make sure you have your say. It is important that Defra hears from as many people as possible about the impacts the proposals may have on shooting and conservation.

BASC is planning to publish guidance and a special mapping tool on Wednesday 3 March to support anyone wishing to respond to the consultation here:

If you work, shoot or are involved with shoots on designated sites please have your say on Defra's proposals before the consultation closes on 15 March. It is essential the shooting community’s views are heard loud and clear - we cannot stand by and allow shooting to be unfairly disadvantaged.

Today, BASC has published guidance on how to respond so please visit the webpage below to have your say.

You can find out if the proposals affect your shoot by visiting BASC's Green Shoots mapping website where you can view the boundaries of SACs and SPAs and a 500m buffer zone around these sites.

See: https://greenshoots.basc.org.uk/

If your shoot might be affected visit the following webpage for more info and guidance on responding to the consultation.

See: https://basc.org.uk/gamebird-releasing-consultation/

• 4 weeks later...

We are affected and I did respond in line with the guidance.  Do we know what the timescales are for the 'actual' rules?

My working assumptions at present are;

1. There will be a General License issued covering SAC and within 500m of SAC
  2. Compliance with the General License will be by following the BASC/GWCT releasing code of practice
  3. To demonstrate complance, someone (landowner, shooting tennant or shoot manager?) will need to have a record of
    1. Area of pen
    2. Location of pen (OS grid ref)
    3. Number released in the pen
    4. If the number and area comply with the code of practice, this will be all required to satisfy the General License

I've finally got round to skim-reading the report published last year.  A thrilling 110-page journey which basically documents someone's efforts at googling the subject of gamebird release.

Several comments:

1) A multitude of "scientific" studies are referenced.  Some of the methodology described is flawed, to be kind.  Some of the assumptions arrived at are spurious, to say the least.

2) How do the authors of this report know that they are propagating factual information?  Much of the subject is still shrouded in mystery, and there is way too much room for conjecture and speculation to creep in.

3) What is the motivation of the authors whose work has been cited?  It's all very well appearing to be "scientific" but if someone wants to prove a point they will try to find evidence to support it.  Is a "study" carried out by an anti-shooting person really going to arrive at a conclusion which flies in the face of its author's personal beliefs?  The same goes the other way of course.

Regarding the actual piece of legislation regulating gamebird release, one thing remains unclear to me and I can't find an explanation anywhere.  This distance of 500 metres - is it measured from the nearest part of the actual release pen in the wood?  Or from the nearest point of the wood itself, irrespective of where the pen is situated within the wood?  That could make a massive difference so I'd find it interesting if that was clarified.

My final thought.  I don't believe for one second that the persons who have instigated this restriction of gamebird releasing in/near protected areas have ANY genuine concern for this country's "flora & fauna".  Even a blind man can see that the effects are minimal and negligible.  It's yet another attack on our way of life.  I think the response from our side has been weak; I'd even go as far as to say it's come across almost as an admission of guilt.  Once they've taken it away we'll never get it back.

Death by a thousand cuts, and we're starting to bleed heavily already.

On 29/03/2021 at 17:05, JohnfromUK said:

We are affected and I did respond in line with the guidance.  Do we know what the timescales are for the 'actual' rules?

My working assumptions at present are;

1. There will be a General License issued covering SAC and within 500m of SAC
  2. Compliance with the General License will be by following the BASC/GWCT releasing code of practice
  3. To demonstrate complance, someone (landowner, shooting tennant or shoot manager?) will need to have a record of
    1. Area of pen
    2. Location of pen (OS grid ref)
    3. Number released in the pen
    4. If the number and area comply with the code of practice, this will be all required to satisfy the General License

No news as yet.