A win for the Home Office

JohnfromUK

1 hour ago, Mungler said:

The camp interview she did did her no favours and she showed not one drop of remorse.

The discussion I had with the Mrs last night was along the lines of ‘anyone who has had a stupid, stroppy or impressionable teenager will have at the back of their minds a perfect storm where something dreadful like this could have / might have happened to them’

But, like so much of life, even weird situations like this are a numbers game - if you think how many millions of other stroppy teenagers passed through adolescence and managed not to join ISIS, leave the country, marry a Jidhadist fighter etc - well, if she’s the 1 in one million that’s innocent of everything and anything and who was swept along with it all, well that’s an acceptable margin of error and just one of those things.

I think your Mrs is bang on; I think most parents can have a period of living in fear while their kids are running with ‘the wrong type’ as my Mam used to call them, totally ignoring the fact that other mothers were regarding me as that ‘wrong type’. 
I’ll never forget ( other than his name!) the Irish journalist/ author I once heard on tv who stated that ‘ as a young man living in N.Ireland there was many a cause I could have killed for, but as an adult and a father I am so eternally grateful I never did.’ 
As naive and idealistically angry as most teenagers are, it is so easy to be influenced by whoever or whatever; thankfully the vast majority either grow out of it or are distracted by something to the extent we forget about it. 
It’s a hard lesson to learn, and we all make mistakes, but to me she hasn’t ever hinted at any semblance of remorse, so I doubt her motives are sincere. It’s all just turned to poop for her, and now she wants out. 
Is she worth taking the risk on? Not in my book. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, Scully said:

I think your Mrs is bang on; I think most parents can have a period of living in fear while their kids are running with ‘the wrong type’ as my Mam used to call them, totally ignoring the fact that other mothers were regarding me as that ‘wrong type’. 
I’ll never forget ( other than his name!) the Irish journalist/ author I once heard on tv who stated that ‘ as a young man living in N.Ireland there was many a cause I could have killed for, but as an adult and a father I am so eternally grateful I never did.’ 
As naive and idealistically angry as most teenagers are, it is so easy to be influenced by whoever or whatever; thankfully the vast majority either grow out of it or are distracted by something to the extent we forget about it. 
It’s a hard lesson to learn, and we all make mistakes, but to me she hasn’t ever hinted at any semblance of remorse, so I doubt her motives are sincere. It’s all just turned to poop for her, and now she wants out. 
Is she worth taking the risk on? Not in my book. 

Having had three teenage daughters I certainly know where you are coming from 

• 1 year later...
19 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

It is difficult to have any sympathy.  She left the UK's very moderate justice system to join an organisation which practices things like Sharia law, has the death penalty and a number of other severe physical penalties for what we would consider either not offences, or relatively minor offences.  She left to join and assist fighters attacking the UK and it's allies.  She knew when she joined that it was a regime and as other regimes inj that part of the world, operates a tough system of 'justice'.

But when it applies to her, she wants to be back in the UK in our more lenient 'western' style justice ......... 

On 27/02/2021 at 07:51, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I think her whole misguided "journey" was to join the "fight" and get pregnant and produce more fighters for our "enemy"

And then when it all goes wrong she wants to return to the fold!

The main advantage to all of the publicity she has gained should be that any other person thinking of doing something similar may well think again!

Yeh publicity, we're doing just what she wants Attention!, there's clearly something mentality wrong with her so IMHO is a lose cannon, I don't know why she doesn't do like the rest and come by boat (rubber), but then again wouldn't be centre of attention 

20 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

It is difficult to have any sympathy.  She left the UK's very moderate justice system to join an organisation which practices things like Sharia law, has the death penalty and a number of other severe physical penalties for what we would consider either not offences, or relatively minor offences.  She left to join and assist fighters attacking the UK and it's allies.  She knew when she joined that it was a regime and as other regimes inj that part of the world, operates a tough system of 'justice'.

But when it applies to her, she wants to be back in the UK in our more lenient 'western' style justice ......... 

Can't disagree with any of that.

Her crimes were committed in Syria, it only stands to reason, that she should be tried and punished in Syria.

3 minutes ago, clangerman said:

what exactly is her physical crime as in shot or bombed someone or is joining the isis book club as a child all we have 

Terrorism

Quotes from  https://www.legalcheek.com/lc-journal-posts/shamima-begum-what-price-have-we-paid-for-national-security/

"Begum could be charged under Section 5 Terrorism Act 2006 for ‘preparation of terrorist acts’ with a possible life sentence for allegedly sewing suicide vests."

"She could face up to ten years in prison for either a Section 11 Terrorism Act 2000 membership offence or Section 12 support offence for her association with Daesh before 2019."

"At first sight, the most straightforward charge would be an ‘entering or remaining in a designated area’ offence under the Counter-Terrorism and Border Security Act 2019 (which introduced a new Section 58B in the 2000 Act)."

10 minutes ago, clangerman said:

thanks just as I suspected isis book club and sewing a vest wow some days you just have to wish you took the brain wash meds with everyone else lol 

Best get writing to the Syrian courts, tell them that just joining a terrorist group and (possibly) sewing a few suicide vests isn't a crime.

I hope she does get the death penalty, but I very much doubt it, as the area of Syria she is in doesn't have the death penalty, or so I have heard on the news.

Edited by Newbie to this

She is not being charged in the UK.  Those are just possible charges that might be applied should she have been allowed to return.  She was not allowed to return - on the basis of her connections to a terrorist organisation.  That went all the way to the Supreme Court.  Most people here believe that bringing back members of terrorist organisations into the UK is not a good idea.

Currently she is in Syria - where she may be charged with Terrorism under Syrian Law related to offences allegedly committed in Syria.  The UK should leave this to the Syrians.  It is their case, their country and she allegedly committed the offences there, she is no longer a UK citizen.  Not the UK's problem.

That'll be like the execution then that she was happy to see ISIS inflict on everybody they didn't like for being Christian, for being homosexual, for this, for that and for every other thing that didn't fit their vision of recreating the Middle Ages in the 2010s? Well what's good for the one is good for the other. 

Edited by enfieldspares

26 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Best get writing to the Syrian courts, tell them that just joining a terrorist group and (possibly) sewing a few suicide vests isn't a crime.

if I did that they would rightly laugh their heads of and point out WE allowed ira bombers who DID slaughter women and children to walk away Scot free 

5 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

She is not being charged in the UK.  Those are just possible charges that might be applied should she have been allowed to return.  She was not allowed to return - on the basis of her connections to a terrorist organisation.  That went all the way to the Supreme Court.  Most people here believe that bringing back members of terrorist organisations into the UK is not a good idea.

Currently she is in Syria - where she may be charged with Terrorism under Syrian Law related to offences allegedly committed in Syria.  The UK should leave this to the Syrians.  It is their case, their country and she allegedly committed the offences there, she is no longer a UK citizen.  Not the UK's problem.

Bang on the money 👍.