Grandfather Clock Gun Cabinet

hod

Anyone have one or make one?

Looking at getting or having made a corner grandfather clock, and putting in a gun cabinet in the body (so the clock face/mechanism would be just be a modern clock, not pendulums etc).

From looking online they’re a crazy price.

Surely a cabinet maker would be able to make a shell of it at a reasonable price?

2 hours ago, hod said:

Surely a cabinet maker would be able to make a shell of it at a reasonable price?

What’s your idea of reasonable?

Cabinet makers will be charging a daily rate which has to cover workshop overheads and the like, so any job with a high fiddle factor on site; I.e. scribing into corners will have some fat built in lest you lose your profit...

I know that’s now what you asked for, I.e. a basic carcass, but expectations of what a basic ‘shell’ is can vary considerably.

Also, I couldn’t find on a quick google any corner steel cabinets to use as a basis.  You could of course use a standard cabinet, and secure it to your wall through its sidewall, but then surely the shell has to grow in size to accommodate a conventional safe, secured to one side, as it were?

8 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

What’s your idea of reasonable?

Cabinet makers will be charging a daily rate which has to cover workshop overheads and the like, so any job with a high fiddle factor on site; I.e. scribing into corners will have some fat built in lest you lose your profit...

I know that’s now what you asked for, I.e. a basic carcass, but expectations of what a basic ‘shell’ is can vary considerably.

Also, I couldn’t find on a quick google any corner steel cabinets to use as a basis.  You could of course use a standard cabinet, and secure it to your wall through its sidewall, but then surely the shell has to grow in size to accommodate a conventional safe, secured to one side, as it were?

I’ve seen a couple online for 2-3 grand plus, way out my budget. Granted one was large and very plush looking.

I do realise a cabinet maker isn’t going to be charging me £20/hour, but I’m a fair way off £3k for a cabinet. My guns total value is comfortably less than that! 

I’ve not really thought through the corner aspect. I guess a standard one just sitting in the corner but bolted through a solid triangular piece of timber behind it may work... that may require more thought on my part... 

But as above, really I’m not looking for much more than a carcass into which I can put the cabinet, and a clock on the top. A lighter, more modern oak or similar maybe. I’ve not been able to find any sort of standard cabinet I can try and bastardise either, yet. I’m no woodworker mind you.

Sit your cabinet in the corner and measure the triangle behind. Have a local welder make two simple triangles of flat steel bolt these to the corner, bolt cabinet to them. Screw some battens to the wall either side and then a front panel, and a top panel. Make door, cut hole for clock. Add a few bits of trim, stain a nice colour, buff it up with some wax. Job done 👍