Twenty six inch barrels.

DUNKS

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

Several times recently I have read reference to 26" barrels being the new fashion. Anyone else noticed this? I dont want to start a war on what length is best but I would love to be shooting a "fashionable gun" instead of the odd man out. 

is the answer............

ecl5530748e_.jpg

No, it's not new, just the wheel being re-invented. The first real gun that I bought myself was 26". I have one in the cabinet and, sadly, one on UKGR's 'for sale' rack. Your shooting life is a little longer than mine so I'm sure that you've come across them on occasion. I figure that unless folk go for the expensive option with regards to NTS, they're going to be short lived now.

41 minutes ago, wymberley said:

No, it's not new, just the wheel being re-invented. The first real gun that I bought myself was 26". I have one in the cabinet and, sadly, one on UKGR's 'for sale' rack. Your shooting life is a little longer than mine so I'm sure that you've come across them on occasion. I figure that unless folk go for the expensive option with regards to NTS, they're going to be short lived now.

My shotgun shooting life is quite short actually. Did not start seriously till I was 75. Never had the money. Airguns yes shotguns no. Made up for it since!

I’ve had all lengths up to 30 inch over the years (still do). Once at the shoulder for a steady shot I can’t tell the difference, but, it is during the mounting process where I prefer the shorter barrels as being much quicker as they seem to suit my “chuck and chance it” shooting style much better. After fifty years of preferring light guns with short barrels even the 28 inch seem slow. My favourite is probably 27 inch. None of them really make much, if any, difference.

Hellis made a "speciality" of twenty-six inch barrels (as did Robert Churchill with his "XXV" twenty-five inch barrel guns). And Holland's replied to the matter with their "Brevis". With even the powders available then thirty inches wasn't needed for a clean burn. Although with some of today's cartridges the powder residue left in a barrel is still to be seen.

Three pieces of advice:

1) The longer the barrel the nearer the bird.

2) The shorter the barrel the nearer your ears to the "bang" and the muzzle blast.

3) The taller the man the less "stylish" short barrels look. 

I have seen the suggestion that shorter barrels were a little less 'out of favour', but I suspect only in these pages.  I have seen a number of posts in their favour, but I mainly simply from people who have always preferred shorter and are their 'champions' - rather than those who might vary.  I have also seen it in an AyA based discussion group, but AyA are one of the most common of the sensibly priced shorter barrelled guns and did a specific XXV model.  25" and 27" AyA guns are relatively common - as are 28", whereas 30" are uncommon, and longer rarely seen at all.

In a way - it is a bit like politics; There are those who will always vote 'left' or 'right' - and a relative few 'swing voters' who swing the balance one way or another.

3 hours ago, ditchman said:

26"....28gm.# 7's...............open and 1/4...............jobs a gooden

Agree only I shoot cylinder and skeet. Only at clays.

1 hour ago, button said:

Looks like somebody got out of bed the wrong side or were you just looking for yes and no answers

YES!